Re: [BUG] Template RACETYPE/RACESUBTYPE not being checked by PRERACE?

  • Tom Parker
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 29, 2007
      I'm completely confused about what templates are being taken in what
      order to reproduce the problem.

      I have attempted to reproduce your problems, but am unable to do so.

      > I'm using 5.13.2.
      >
      > test template:
      > TEST2 VISIBLE:YES PRERACE:1,TYPE=Dragon
      >
      > Take RSRD Half-dragon (I used LE Dwarf Half Dragon (Green), and look
      > at this template. Pre-reqs come up black, but template is still "Red"
      > and can't be taken.

      PreReqs displayed on the Template Tab are always black in the table,
      so they will never appear in red.

      Also, per the docs (and code) TYPE= is designed to test TYPE of the
      RACE, not RACETYPE, so are you really using the appropriate PRE here?

      Should this be PRERACE:1,RACETYPE=Dragon?

      If you use RACETYPE= then the template becomes black after a Half
      Dragon Template is applied.

      > When I did it with
      > TEST VISIBLE:YES PRERACE:1,RACESUBTYPE=Dragonblood
      > same thing for a character that had a template with the RACESUBTYPE tag.

      I can change this to Incorporeal and test it with the Ghost Template,
      so I'm also unable to reproduce this problem.

      > When doing the same for a Feat (I'm doing Dragontouched feat for my
      > homebrew set, if anyone is curious), I get Black by the table for
      > pre-requisites (Name in the name column is still red), but Red on the
      > details section for "race: RACESUBTYPE=Dragonblood at least 1". So
      > some part of PCGen is seeing it right (when it does the table), but
      > the main part, which actually matters, isn't.

      I am unable to reproduce this problem as well (again, tested with
      Ghost and Incorporeal). Is your spelling correct?

      If you still have problems, we will need more specific data to debug
      the problem.

      > The TEST2 template works fine for a character with RACETYPE dragon
      > from the race (I tested on Dragon Turtle).

      This succeeds because Dragon Turtle is TYPE Dragon, not because it is
      RACETYPE Dragon.

      TP.
    • Tir Gwaith
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 29, 2007
        On 9/29/07, Tom Parker <thpr@...> wrote:

        > I'm completely confused about what templates are being taken in what
        > order to reproduce the problem.
        >
        > I have attempted to reproduce your problems, but am unable to do so.
        >
        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm using 5.13.2.
        > >
        > > test template:
        > > TEST2 VISIBLE:YES PRERACE:1,TYPE=Dragon
        > >
        > > Take RSRD Half-dragon (I used LE Dwarf Half Dragon (Green), and look
        > > at this template. Pre-reqs come up black, but template is still "Red"
        > > and can't be taken.
        >
        > PreReqs displayed on the Template Tab are always black in the table,
        > so they will never appear in red.
        >
        > Also, per the docs (and code) TYPE= is designed to test TYPE of the
        > RACE, not RACETYPE, so are you really using the appropriate PRE here?
        >
        > Should this be PRERACE:1,RACETYPE=Dragon?

        Doh! I'll retest. The PRERACE:1,RACESUBTYPE= was correct tho.

        > If you use RACETYPE= then the template becomes black after a Half
        > Dragon Template is applied.
        >
        > > When I did it with
        > > TEST VISIBLE:YES PRERACE:1,RACESUBTYPE=Dragonblood
        > > same thing for a character that had a template with the RACESUBTYPE tag.
        >
        > I can change this to Incorporeal and test it with the Ghost Template,
        > so I'm also unable to reproduce this problem.

        Sigh. I'll double check everything. That's what I get for trying to
        rush some character elements for a game session prep.

        PCGen LST Chimp
      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 29, 2007
          > > Should this be PRERACE:1,RACETYPE=Dragon?
          >
          > Doh! I'll retest. The PRERACE:1,RACESUBTYPE= was correct tho.

          This was my bad. And yeah, it works.

          > > If you use RACETYPE= then the template becomes black after a Half
          > > Dragon Template is applied.
          > >
          > > > When I did it with
          > > > TEST VISIBLE:YES PRERACE:1,RACESUBTYPE=Dragonblood
          > > > same thing for a character that had a template with the RACESUBTYPE tag.
          > >
          > > I can change this to Incorporeal and test it with the Ghost Template,
          > > so I'm also unable to reproduce this problem.
          >
          > Sigh. I'll double check everything. That's what I get for trying to
          > rush some character elements for a game session prep.

          Ok, real problem, now that I've tested throughly: Feat granted from
          FEATAUTO in a class.lst doesn't fire off the TEMPLATE tag. When
          selected normally, it fires. (and since the template wasn't getting
          applied, neither was the SUBRACETYPE in the template, Doh!)

          I thought that was fixed a while back?

          My testing stuff:

          class object with FEATAUTO:TESTFeatToTemplate
          (I just threw it on the first level of Fighter) I've also tested this
          with AUTO:FEAT - same result.
          Feat object:
          TESTFeatToTemplate TYPE:General TEMPLATE:TempTest1 SA:Feat applied?

          Template object:
          TempTest1 VISIBLE:YES DESC:My test template SA:Other way to check
          template applied
          SA helps guarantee template objects are applying.

          If TESTFeatToTemplate is merely granted from AUTOFEAT, SA:Feat
          Applied? happens, but TempTest1 isn't applied.

          If TESTFeatToTemplate is selected as a normal feat from feat tab,
          TempTest1 is applied. (I had to do it with a second character, because
          of the Automatic feat didn't show up in the left side - mentioning
          this just in case that has something to do with it.)

          PCGen LST Chimp
        • Tir Gwaith
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 29, 2007
            > PreReqs displayed on the Template Tab are always black in the table,
            > so they will never appear in red.

            Side Q: is there a reason for this? Seems weird that it doesn't
            follow the other tabs...

            PCGen LST Chimp
          • Tom Parker
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 30, 2007

              > > PreReqs displayed on the Template Tab are always black in the table,
              > > so they will never appear in red.
              >
              > Side Q: is there a reason for this? Seems weird that it doesn't
              > follow the other tabs...

              I'm going to guess that "an oopsie" - meaning it should be changed to
              match behavior elsewhere.

              TP.
            • Tir Gwaith
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 30, 2007
                > > > PreReqs displayed on the Template Tab are always black in the table,
                > > > so they will never appear in red.
                > >
                > > Side Q: is there a reason for this? Seems weird that it doesn't
                > > follow the other tabs...
                >
                > I'm going to guess that "an oopsie" - meaning it should be changed to
                > match behavior elsewhere.

                Code Bug or Code FReq? I'll make the tracker (it annoyed me since it
                made my testing harder.)

                PCGen LST Chimp
              • Tom Parker
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 30, 2007
                  > Ok, real problem, now that I've tested throughly: Feat granted from
                  > FEATAUTO in a class.lst doesn't fire off the TEMPLATE tag. When
                  > selected normally, it fires. (and since the template wasn't getting
                  > applied, neither was the SUBRACETYPE in the template, Doh!)

                  Well, to clarify, when selected *from the UI*, it has nothing to do
                  with the Nature as best I can tell.

                  Looks to me like it will fail on all of:
                  FEATAUTO:
                  AUTO|FEAT:
                  ABILITY:
                  FEAT:
                  VFEAT:

                  Basically, any way of assigning an Ability/Feat short of selecting it
                  in the UI will fail to apply templates. Some of that is by code
                  reading (and untested), but that seems to be the problem.

                  > I thought that was fixed a while back?

                  I can't find any evidence the issue has ever been reported or fixed.

                  This is a bit of an ugly bug - I need someone with more experience in
                  the Ability object to at least chime in before I go trying to change
                  anything. There is infinite loop risk here if we're not careful.

                  TP.
                • Tom Parker
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 30, 2007

                    > > > Side Q: is there a reason for this? Seems weird that it doesn't
                    > > > follow the other tabs...
                    > >
                    > > I'm going to guess that "an oopsie" - meaning it should be changed to
                    > > match behavior elsewhere.
                    >
                    > Code Bug or Code FReq? I'll make the tracker (it annoyed me since

                    FREQ, but tag it as 5.14 - should be low hanging fruit.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 30, 2007
                      1805229 Abilities granted by tokens cannot grant Templates
                      <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1805229&group_id=25576&atid=384719>

                      Tom Parker wrote:
                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Ok, real problem, now that I've tested throughly: Feat granted from
                      >> FEATAUTO in a class.lst doesn't fire off the TEMPLATE tag. When
                      >> selected normally, it fires. (and since the template wasn't getting
                      >> applied, neither was the SUBRACETYPE in the template, Doh!)
                      >>

                      > Well, to clarify, when selected *from the UI*, it has nothing to do
                      > with the Nature as best I can tell.
                      >
                      > Looks to me like it will fail on all of:
                      > FEATAUTO:
                      > AUTO|FEAT:
                      > ABILITY:
                      > FEAT:
                      > VFEAT:
                      >
                      > Basically, any way of assigning an Ability/Feat short of selecting it
                      > in the UI will fail to apply templates. Some of that is by code
                      > reading (and untested), but that seems to be the problem.
                      >

                      >> I thought that was fixed a while back?
                      >>

                      > I can't find any evidence the issue has ever been reported or fixed.
                      >
                      > This is a bit of an ugly bug - I need someone with more experience in
                      > the Ability object to at least chime in before I go trying to change
                      > anything. There is infinite loop risk here if we're not careful.
                      >
                      > TP.

                      -- Andrew Maitland
                      Data Gibbon, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Lemur
                      "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"