Re: [pcgen] Newbie question

  • Tir Gwaith
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 27, 2007
      You have to have enough objects loaded to create a character.

      Try loading with the Basics or Core Rulebook I datasets.

      PCGen LST Chimp
    • Mark & Kai
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010
        I've downloaded and installed PCGen. It opens fine. But no matter what I do, I can't get the source files to show up in the GUI.

        I've followed the instructions in the PCGEN Documentation web pages, but according to that the list of available sources should show up so I can select which ones I want to include. It doesn't.

        What do I have to do?

        I'm running OpenSuse 11.2 if that makes a difference.
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010

          Hm, some of the linux distros have had a java issue. I believe if you install Sun Java that might
          help. We've also have a tracker to try and figure out what is truly going on. If you are able to
          assist tracking down the issue, we'd appreciate it.

          Beyond that I don't know anything else that might help. Not a linux guru myself.

          Hopefully another linux type can jump on and give some help as well.

          Cheers,

          On 10/8/2010 10:10 PM, Mark & Kai wrote:
          > I've downloaded and installed PCGen. It opens fine. But no matter what I do, I can't get the source files to show up in the GUI.
          >
          > I've followed the instructions in the PCGEN Documentation web pages, but according to that the list of available sources should show up so I can select which ones I want to include. It doesn't.
          >
          > What do I have to do?
          >
          > I'm running OpenSuse 11.2 if that makes a difference.

          > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

          Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

        • Martijn Verburg
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010
            What version of PCGen and Java are you running? And where do you have it
            installed to? Also when it first started where did you specify for your
            PCGen directory to be?

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010
              I've got version 5.16.3 of PCGen, and I'm running java version 1.6.0_18
              (OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.1) (suse-1.1.3-i386)
              OpenJDK Client VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode).

              I have PCGen in its own directory in my home folder.

              > What version of PCGen and Java are you running? And where do you have it
              > installed to? Also when it first started where did you specify for your
              > PCGen directory to be?
            • Terry Milnes
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010
                OpenJDK and PC-Gen (IIRC) do not work together. Use Sun's(ORACLE) JAVA
                implementation.

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010

                  The OpenJDK, is the issue. We have another group investigating what is broken in the OpenJDK.
                  You'll need to add SunJava to get things to work properly. Sorry for the inconvenience there.

                  If you look for the subject 'OpenJDK & PCGen' starting on 6'6'2010 through 9'28'2010. That outlines
                  the existing issues.

                  On 10/9/2010 3:50 PM, Mark & Kai wrote:
                  > I've got version 5.16.3 of PCGen, and I'm running java version 1.6.0_18
                  > (OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.1) (suse-1.1.3-i386)
                  > OpenJDK Client VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode).
                  >
                  > I have PCGen in its own directory in my home folder.
                  >
                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Martijn Verburg<martijnverburg@...> wrote:
                  >> What version of PCGen and Java are you running? And where do you have it
                  >> installed to? Also when it first started where did you specify for your
                  >> PCGen directory to be?

                  > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

                  Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                • Stefan Radermacher
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010
                    I can confirm that with OpenJDK/IcedTea, PCGen does not find its sources. I
                    just tired that recently with all the most recent versions, but there seems to
                    be some kind of incompatibility. I'm not sure if it's OpenJDK's or PCGen's
                    fault, though.

                    Stefan.

                    On Sunday 10 October 2010 00:50:51 Mark & Kai wrote:
                    > I've got version 5.16.3 of PCGen, and I'm running java version 1.6.0_18
                    > (OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.1) (suse-1.1.3-i386)
                    > OpenJDK Client VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode).
                    >
                    > I have PCGen in its own directory in my home folder.
                    >
                    > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...> wrote:
                    > > What version of PCGen and Java are you running? And where do you have it
                    > > installed to? Also when it first started where did you specify for your
                    > > PCGen directory to be?

                    > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
                    > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:

                  • Mark & Kai
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010
                      Well, I went into YAST and added the Sun version of Java (and the plug-in), then deleted the OpenJDK version. And...now PCGEN is showing me the source files. Yay!

                      That was a lot less painful than I feared it would be. Thanks!