Re: [pcgen] Newbie question

  • David R. Bender
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 27, 2007
      If you are *just* loading the PCGen Open Gaming Content, you are loading
      only a few pieces of Equipment. You need to load the RSRD complete data
      (for 3.5) or the SRD complete data (for 3.0) in *addition* to the PCGen
      Open Gaming Content.

      -- David
      Papa-DRB
      Grognard Extrodianare_1 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grognard>

      Mikael Jansson wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I need help getting started, but I can't find any help for my problem in the PCGen Help, in
      > the online FAQs, or by searching this group. And this has got to be such a newbie question
      > that I am obviously missing something obvious (other than my brain). :-)
      >
      > I start PCGen, I load a Source Material, I then select New from the File menu, and I get an
      > error message stating I should first load source material before I can create a new character.
      > I am looking at my Selected tab right now, where PCGen Open Gaming Content has been
      > loaded ("Y" under Loaded).
      >
      > So... what am I missing (apart from that brain, of course)? :-)
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Mikael
    • Mikael Jansson
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 27, 2007
        Yes, that worked. Thank you.

        Mikael

        27 sep 2007 kl. 22.14 skrev David R. Bender:

        > If you are *just* loading the PCGen Open Gaming Content, you are
        > only a few pieces of Equipment. You need to load the RSRD complete
        > data
        > (for 3.5) or the SRD complete data (for 3.0) in *addition* to the
        > PCGen
        > Open Gaming Content.
        >
        > -- David
        > Papa-DRB
        > Grognard Extrodianare_1 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grognard>
        >
        > Mikael Jansson wrote:
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I need help getting started, but I can't find any help for my
        > problem in the PCGen Help, in
        > > the online FAQs, or by searching this group. And this has got to
        > be such a newbie question
        > > that I am obviously missing something obvious (other than my
        > brain). :-)
        > >
        > > I start PCGen, I load a Source Material, I then select New from
        > the File menu, and I get an
        > > error message stating I should first load source material before
        > I can create a new character.
        > > I am looking at my Selected tab right now, where PCGen Open
        > Gaming Content has been
        > > loaded ("Y" under Loaded).
        > >
        > > So... what am I missing (apart from that brain, of course)? :-)
        > >
        > > Sincerely,
        > >
        > > Mikael

      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 27, 2007
          You have to have enough objects loaded to create a character.

          Try loading with the Basics or Core Rulebook I datasets.

          PCGen LST Chimp
        • Mark & Kai
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010
            I've downloaded and installed PCGen. It opens fine. But no matter what I do, I can't get the source files to show up in the GUI.

            I've followed the instructions in the PCGEN Documentation web pages, but according to that the list of available sources should show up so I can select which ones I want to include. It doesn't.

            What do I have to do?

            I'm running OpenSuse 11.2 if that makes a difference.
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010

              Hm, some of the linux distros have had a java issue. I believe if you install Sun Java that might
              help. We've also have a tracker to try and figure out what is truly going on. If you are able to
              assist tracking down the issue, we'd appreciate it.

              Beyond that I don't know anything else that might help. Not a linux guru myself.

              Hopefully another linux type can jump on and give some help as well.

              Cheers,

              On 10/8/2010 10:10 PM, Mark & Kai wrote:
              > I've downloaded and installed PCGen. It opens fine. But no matter what I do, I can't get the source files to show up in the GUI.
              >
              > I've followed the instructions in the PCGEN Documentation web pages, but according to that the list of available sources should show up so I can select which ones I want to include. It doesn't.
              >
              > What do I have to do?
              >
              > I'm running OpenSuse 11.2 if that makes a difference.

              > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

              Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

            • Martijn Verburg
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010
                What version of PCGen and Java are you running? And where do you have it
                installed to? Also when it first started where did you specify for your
                PCGen directory to be?

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010
                  I've got version 5.16.3 of PCGen, and I'm running java version 1.6.0_18
                  (OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.1) (suse-1.1.3-i386)
                  OpenJDK Client VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode).

                  I have PCGen in its own directory in my home folder.

                  > What version of PCGen and Java are you running? And where do you have it
                  > installed to? Also when it first started where did you specify for your
                  > PCGen directory to be?
                • Terry Milnes
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010
                    OpenJDK and PC-Gen (IIRC) do not work together. Use Sun's(ORACLE) JAVA
                    implementation.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010

                      The OpenJDK, is the issue. We have another group investigating what is broken in the OpenJDK.
                      You'll need to add SunJava to get things to work properly. Sorry for the inconvenience there.

                      If you look for the subject 'OpenJDK & PCGen' starting on 6'6'2010 through 9'28'2010. That outlines
                      the existing issues.

                      On 10/9/2010 3:50 PM, Mark & Kai wrote:
                      > I've got version 5.16.3 of PCGen, and I'm running java version 1.6.0_18
                      > (OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.1) (suse-1.1.3-i386)
                      > OpenJDK Client VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode).
                      >
                      > I have PCGen in its own directory in my home folder.
                      >
                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Martijn Verburg<martijnverburg@...> wrote:
                      >> What version of PCGen and Java are you running? And where do you have it
                      >> installed to? Also when it first started where did you specify for your
                      >> PCGen directory to be?

                      > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

                      Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                    • Stefan Radermacher
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010
                        I can confirm that with OpenJDK/IcedTea, PCGen does not find its sources. I
                        just tired that recently with all the most recent versions, but there seems to
                        be some kind of incompatibility. I'm not sure if it's OpenJDK's or PCGen's
                        fault, though.

                        Stefan.

                        On Sunday 10 October 2010 00:50:51 Mark & Kai wrote:
                        > I've got version 5.16.3 of PCGen, and I'm running java version 1.6.0_18
                        > (OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.1) (suse-1.1.3-i386)
                        > OpenJDK Client VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode).
                        >
                        > I have PCGen in its own directory in my home folder.
                        >
                        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...> wrote:
                        > > What version of PCGen and Java are you running? And where do you have it
                        > > installed to? Also when it first started where did you specify for your
                        > > PCGen directory to be?

                        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
                        > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:

                      • Mark & Kai
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010
                          Well, I went into YAST and added the Sun version of Java (and the plug-in), then deleted the OpenJDK version. And...now PCGEN is showing me the source files. Yay!

                          That was a lot less painful than I feared it would be. Thanks!