Creating & Exporting Straight Monster Stat Blocks

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2007
      I am trying to create DMG2/MM4 style stat blocks for a Living Greyhawk
      mod I am writing. I am using he latest and greatest PCGen (5.12).
      However, I've noticed couple of things ...

      1) There is no "Create Monster" action. I can create a quasi-random,
      quick-start NPC. I can create an encounter using GM Genie, which
      creates a monster "character" which can then be used to create a stat
      block. But there is no "View Monster" >> "Export Stat Block" function
      ala e-Tools. All of the functionality exists, but not the "button".

      Am I missing something?

      2) When exporting the DMG2/MM4 stat blocks using the statblock4
      template, I get the rw stats, but things like (Su) do not sem to be
      printing out. Is this a function of PCGen and/or the statblock4
      template? Or, is it a function of the dataset?

      In the event that it is relevant, I am using CMP's official WotC
      datasets. Specifically Libris Mortis and Book of Vile Darkness.

      Thanks,

      DD
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 11, 2007
        Hi Doug,

        Doug wrote:
        > I am trying to create DMG2/MM4 style stat blocks for a Living Greyhawk
        > mod I am writing. I am using he latest and greatest PCGen (5.12).
        > However, I've noticed couple of things ...

        The "latest" is actually 5.13.1 (Alpha) - :-)
        > 1) There is no "Create Monster" action. I can create a quasi-random,
        > quick-start NPC. I can create an encounter using GM Genie, which
        > creates a monster "character" which can then be used to create a stat
        > block. But there is no "View Monster" >> "Export Stat Block" function
        > ala e-Tools. All of the functionality exists, but not the "button".

        There are a few functions - Create PC/Monster is the normal mode;
        another button is to create a quick NPC; and finally after you've made
        either a PC/Monster or NPC you can apply a KIT (Default Stats and/or
        equipment if indicated)

        We lumped making Monsters in with PCs - as the process is the same for
        either. Instead of selecting 'Human' or any of the other base races, you
        could instead choose any of the multiple monster races (And then the
        default HD will kick in, in the form of classes based upon creature
        type, if applicable)
        > Am I missing something?
        >
        > 2) When exporting the DMG2/MM4 stat blocks using the statblock4
        > template, I get the rw stats, but things like (Su) do not sem to be
        > printing out. Is this a function of PCGen and/or the statblock4
        > template? Or, is it a function of the dataset?

        Since I've read ahead, I know the answer. The new OS sheet using the new
        stat block REQUIRES some changes in the data set; which CMP hasn't done
        yet. If perhaps you tried with the 35rsd set you'd see some significant
        changes. Though we don't have much documentation as the DMGII statblock
        is still a work in progress, it's basic functionality is present.
        > In the event that it is relevant, I am using CMP's official WotC
        > datasets. Specifically Libris Mortis and Book of Vile Darkness.

        Yeah, those are CMP data sets, which we don't maintain, and therefore
        haven't been updated to take advantage of the new functions. Chris
        Chandler aka Barak, is working with us to get those updated to take
        advantage of MANY new features that have developed since PCGen 5.8 was
        seen. I think he's our test subject for a data set converter as CMP has
        a lot of data sets. Though a few things will need to be changed by hand.
        Converters can only do so much...

        --

        -- Andrew
        Data Gibbon, Tracker Tamarin, Docs Lemur