Re: [pcgen] Re: [BUG] - Ability Score pre-req for Feats

  • Stefan Radermacher
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 31, 2007
      Eddy Anthony wrote:

      > There is also the source of the clarification, the FAQ is not OGL and
      > typically the data team tries to stick with what can be gleamed from the
      > SRD. At any rate it's Franks call as to how to handle this.

      The FAQ is not really needed as it only gives an interpretation. The
      rule is right there in the SRD under Feats/Prerequisites (emphasis mine):

      "Some feats have prerequisites. Your character must have the indicated
      ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other
      quality designated in order to select or use that feat. A character can
      gain a feat at the same level at which he or she gains the prerequisite.

      *A character can't use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite.*"

      Regards,
      Stefan.
    • Frank Kliewe
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 2, 2007
        On 8/31/07, Stefan Radermacher <radermacher@...> wrote:
        > Eddy Anthony wrote:
        >
        > > There is also the source of the clarification, the FAQ is not OGL and
        > > typically the data team tries to stick with what can be gleamed from the
        > > SRD. At any rate it's Franks call as to how to handle this.
        >
        > The FAQ is not really needed as it only gives an interpretation. The
        > rule is right there in the SRD under Feats/Prerequisites (emphasis mine):
        >
        > "Some feats have prerequisites. Your character must have the indicated
        > ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other
        > quality designated in order to select or use that feat. A character can
        > gain a feat at the same level at which he or she gains the prerequisite.
        >
        > *A character can't use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite.*"
        >

        > Regards,
        > Stefan.

        You are right. That or a similar text appears in RSRD, SRD and MSRD.
        Could a TM please create a Data Bug tracker for this.

        Cheerio,

        Frank Kliewe
        PCGen Content Silverback

        --
        I've been dead once already; it's very liberating. You might think of
        it as... therapy.
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 2, 2007
          > You are right. That or a similar text appears in RSRD, SRD and MSRD.
          > Could a TM please create a Data Bug tracker for this.

          Wouldn't this need code first?

          PCGen LST Chimp
        • Frank Kliewe
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 2, 2007
            On 9/3/07, Tir Gwaith <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:

            > > You are right. That or a similar text appears in RSRD, SRD and MSRD.
            > > Could a TM please create a Data Bug tracker for this.
            >
            > Wouldn't this need code first?

            We could create that without Code support but it would be painful, so
            I agree that we should discuss a Spec. I don't want that behaviour
            hardcoded, as we may encounter different behaviour in other games. one
            example being my house rules. :P

            So that still means a Data Bug should be entered. Priority set to 3,
            as that marks those trackers that are in need of a Spec.

            Cheerio,

            Frank Kliewe
            PCGen Content Silverback

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 3, 2007
              Okay, I think I caught up...

              DATA Bug:

              [ 1786951 ] Ability Score pre-req for Feats

              http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1786951&group_id=25576&atid=750091

              SPEC Tracker:

              [ 1786953 ] Abilitity Score PRE-REQ for Feats

              http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1786953&group_id=25576&atid=837763

              Frank Kliewe wrote:
              > On 9/3/07, Tir Gwaith <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:
              >
              >>> You are right. That or a similar text appears in RSRD, SRD and MSRD.
              >>>
              >> > Could a TM please create a Data Bug tracker for this.
              >>
              >> Wouldn't this need code first?
              >>

              > We could create that without Code support but it would be painful, so
              > I agree that we should discuss a Spec. I don't want that behaviour
              > hardcoded, as we may encounter different behaviour in other games. one
              > example being my house rules. :P
              >
              > So that still means a Data Bug should be entered. Priority set to 3,
              > as that marks those trackers that are in need of a Spec.
              >

              > Cheerio,
              >
              > Frank Kliewe
              > PCGen Content Silverback
              >
              > --
              > I've been dead once already; it's very liberating. You might think of
              > it as... therapy.
              > (The Joker in "Batman", 1989)

              -- Andrew
              Tracker & Data Tamarin, Docs Lemur

            • Mark St. Thomas
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 5, 2007
                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Radermacher <radermacher@...>
                wrote:

                > Eddy Anthony wrote:
                >
                > > There is also the source of the clarification, the FAQ is not OGL
                and
                > > typically the data team tries to stick with what can be gleamed
                from the
                > > SRD. At any rate it's Franks call as to how to handle this.
                >
                > The FAQ is not really needed as it only gives an interpretation. The
                > rule is right there in the SRD under Feats/Prerequisites (emphasis
                mine):

                > "Some feats have prerequisites. Your character must have the
                indicated
                > ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or
                other
                > quality designated in order to select or use that feat. A character
                can
                > gain a feat at the same level at which he or she gains the
                prerequisite.

                > *A character can't use a feat if he or she has lost a
                prerequisite.*"

                > Regards,
                > Stefan.

                If that's the case how do you handle this situation: in a certain
                supplement there's a feat I shall call SWM that has a prerequisite
                that WIS is 13+. Part of SWM reduces WIS by 2 which means that if
                the INT is at 13 or 14 SWM would normally be dropped. However, the
                text of SWM says that any loss to WIS due to this feat or any future
                WIS loss you would still retain the feat.
              • Stefan Radermacher
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 5, 2007
                  I would encode this as follows:

                  PREMULT:1,[PRESTAT:1,WIS=13],[PREFEAT:1,SWM]

                  This means the prerequisite is filled if a) Wisdom is at least 13 or b)
                  you have the feat.

                  Regards,
                  Stefan.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 5, 2007
                    > If that's the case how do you handle this situation: in a certain
                    > supplement there's a feat I shall call SWM that has a prerequisite
                    > that WIS is 13+. Part of SWM reduces WIS by 2 which means that if
                    > the INT is at 13 or 14 SWM would normally be dropped. However, the
                    > text of SWM says that any loss to WIS due to this feat or any future
                    > WIS loss you would still retain the feat.

                    With the planned REQ / PRE proposal, we'd leave it PRESTAT (only check
                    at taking feat).

                    PCGen LST Chimp