Re: 4th Edition on its way

  • Darkon
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 21, 2007
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, keith.davies@... wrote:

      > On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 04:14:40PM -0000, Darkon wrote:
      > >
      > > If I recall, when 2e came out we weren't to happy about the
      > > invalidation of our 1e books. It took over a year after picking
      > > up and reading those new rules before we converted over. By then,
      > > it had enough support to be worth considering. The same happened
      > > for 3e and will probably happen for 4e as well.
      >
      > We jumped on 3e immediately. It so obviously fixed a lot of our
      > annoyances (and introduced new ones, of course). In fact, we
      > started early, using material from Dragon Magazine to build a
      > hybrid.
      >
      > 3.5, OTOH, I held off for a few years before getting the books. I
      > didn't see the need for them. I picked them up when I had a bit of
      > spare coin.
      >

      > Keith

      I was not referring to myself, merely most people. I picked up on the
      first week with the conversion manual and tried converting my Human
      Paladin 9 / Enchanter 1. She was a bit of a problem in 2nd edition.
      Where do you place a 114 Hp wizard with a 20 THAC0? Neither level 1
      or 9 work for her. Once I transferred her and got a level 10
      character, she suddenly made sense and I never looked back. 3.5 was
      the best interation of AD&D to date. Now I have alot of characters
      with alot of non-combat abilities which I enjoy allot.

      After seeing SW Saga I dread the removal of all non-combat abilities
      outside of diplomacy/bluff (or whatever they call the saga version of
      those skills). Despite the employee's required rebuttle of "Don't
      call advanced minis" the game is just that. I saw an avid minis
      player on their own forum identify 90% of the feats, talents, etc as
      unchanged from the minis game. That definately says much despite
      their canned corprate reply. I'm sure that when 5th edition comes out
      they will bad mouth 4th/Saga edition just like they have always been
      paid to do.
    • Darkon
      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 21, 2007