4th Edition on its way

  • Martijn Verburg
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 16, 2007
      This might be a hoax, but an early press release?

      Thanks Eddy for the scoop

      http://theminiaturespage.com/news/519193/

      August 16, 2007 (Renton, WA) – Whether you storm a mad wizard's tower
      every week or haven't delved into a dungeon since you had a mullet and
      a mean pair of parachute pants, one thing is certain - millions of D&D
      players worldwide have anticipated the coming of 4th Edition for many
      years. Today, Wizards of the Coast confirms that the new edition will
      launch in May 2008 with the release of the D&D Player's Handbook. A
      pop culture icon, Dungeons & Dragons is the #1 tabletop roleplaying
      game in the world, and is revered by legions of gamers of all ages.

      The 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons game includes elements familiar to
      current D&D players, including illustrated rulebooks and pre-painted
      plastic miniatures. Also releasing next year will be new web-based
      tools and online community forums through the brand-new Dungeons &
      Dragons Insider (D&D Insider) digital offering. D&D Insider lowers the
      barriers of entry for new players while simultaneously offering the
      depth of play that appeals to veteran players.

      The 4th Edition rules emphasize faster game play, offer exciting new
      character options, and reduce the amount of "prep time" needed to run
      the game. D&D Insider includes a character creator that lets players
      design and equip their D&D characters, dungeon- and adventure-building
      tools for Dungeon Masters, online magazine content, and a digital game
      table that lets you play 24/7 on the internet — the perfect option for
      anyone who can't find time to get together.

      "We've been gathering player feedback for eight years," said Bill
      Slavicsek, R&D Director of Roleplaying and Miniatures Games at Wizards
      of the Coast. "Fourth Edition streamlines parts of the D&D game that
      are too complex, while enhancing the overall play experience. At its
      heart, it's still a tabletop game experience. However, D&D Insider
      makes it easier for players to create characters, run their games, and
      interact with the rest of the D&D community."

      Wizards of the Coast will release two 4th Edition preview books in
      December and January — Wizards Presents: Classes and Races and Wizards
      Presents: Worlds and Monsters. The first live demos of 4th Edition
      will happen at the D&D Experience gaming convention in Washington D.C.
      in February 2008. The full scope of 4th Edition books, miniatures, and
      adventures will be available in the spring and summer of 2008.

      Since its first release in 1974, the fantasy roleplaying game Dungeons
      & Dragons has taken millions of players on imaginary adventures of
      epic scale. Today, D&D is universally regarded as the original game
      that created the roleplaying game category, and the inspiration for
      generations of game designers. D&D is enjoyed by millions of players
      worldwide, while countless more remember it with fond nostalgia.

      ------------------------------

      What does this mean for PCGen? We're not sure yet, a lot will depend
      on what WotC does with the OGL....

    • Darkon
      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 21, 2007
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, keith.davies@... wrote:

        > On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 04:14:40PM -0000, Darkon wrote:
        > >
        > > If I recall, when 2e came out we weren't to happy about the
        > > invalidation of our 1e books. It took over a year after picking
        > > up and reading those new rules before we converted over. By then,
        > > it had enough support to be worth considering. The same happened
        > > for 3e and will probably happen for 4e as well.
        >
        > We jumped on 3e immediately. It so obviously fixed a lot of our
        > annoyances (and introduced new ones, of course). In fact, we
        > started early, using material from Dragon Magazine to build a
        > hybrid.
        >
        > 3.5, OTOH, I held off for a few years before getting the books. I
        > didn't see the need for them. I picked them up when I had a bit of
        > spare coin.
        >

        > Keith

        I was not referring to myself, merely most people. I picked up on the
        first week with the conversion manual and tried converting my Human
        Paladin 9 / Enchanter 1. She was a bit of a problem in 2nd edition.
        Where do you place a 114 Hp wizard with a 20 THAC0? Neither level 1
        or 9 work for her. Once I transferred her and got a level 10
        character, she suddenly made sense and I never looked back. 3.5 was
        the best interation of AD&D to date. Now I have alot of characters
        with alot of non-combat abilities which I enjoy allot.

        After seeing SW Saga I dread the removal of all non-combat abilities
        outside of diplomacy/bluff (or whatever they call the saga version of
        those skills). Despite the employee's required rebuttle of "Don't
        call advanced minis" the game is just that. I saw an avid minis
        player on their own forum identify 90% of the feats, talents, etc as
        unchanged from the minis game. That definately says much despite
        their canned corprate reply. I'm sure that when 5th edition comes out
        they will bad mouth 4th/Saga edition just like they have always been
        paid to do.