From the PCGen Board of Directors

  • Eric C Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2007
      GREEN RONIN SOURCES REMOVED FROM PCGEN 5.12.x

      It is with great disappointment that the PCGen Board of Directors
      (BoD) announces that all Green Ronin sources have been removed from
      PCGen. This includes Green Ronin sources shipped with PCGen 5.10.x
      and earlier, as well as several sources that were scheduled for
      release with PGen 5.12.0.

      Source titles are considered Product Identity (PI) under section 7 of
      the Open Gaming License (OGL). PCGen uses source titles to identify
      the source of data shipped with all releases. This allows PCGen users
      to identify and load the data for the source materials they own.
      Without explicit permission to use the source titles to identify the
      OGL data there is no way for the users to identify the data they
      should load for a given source. In such situations, it is PCGen's
      policy not to include such datasets in our release. Doing so would
      create confusion as to what material is being made available and
      diminishes the value of that dataset for both the users and the
      publisher.

      Green Ronin, having entered into a business agreement with a company
      that produces a competing RPG Character Generation program, has
      denied PCGen permission to include their Trademarks and PI, granting
      permission to use only the OGL material from their sources. We
      considered several alternatives to try and retain the datasets, but
      none fell in line with how PCGen operates. As has been done with
      other publishers, considering Green Ronin's decision with respect to
      their Trademarks, Copyright, and Product Identity, and acting
      consistent with established PCGen policy on identifying the source of
      data shipped with PCGen, all datasets for Green Ronin source
      materials have been removed from PCGen.

      PCGen has always had a policy of asking the publishers for permission
      with regards to using their data, whether its OGL or not, especially
      as it relates to using their OGL material as a base for 3rd party
      datasets. Though Green Ronin has denied us permission to include
      their Trademarks and PI, they have confirmed their permission to use
      their OGL data, and therefore we shall be including the OGL material
      contained in their True20 gaming system, as that material is being
      used by other publishers that have granted us permission to use their
      product titles, but the Green Ronin material will not be made
      available as a distinct and separate data source.

      We do the best we can with our volunteers to build a character
      generator worthy of our users and RPG publishers. However, there are
      times when things do not go our way. This is one of those times. We
      hope you will continue to use PCGen for character development, and if
      there are other sources you would like to see included, please let us
      know, so our publisher liasion team can contact the publisher.

      For more information on PCGen, please visit: http://
      pcgen.sourceforge.net/01_overview.php

      PCGen Board of Directors