Re: pcgen on ubuntu powerbook G3

  • vector_180
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
      ok ubuntu forum said to try ibm-j2re1.5 which i installed but pcgen
      still gives same error :(

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "vector_180" <vector180@...> wrote:

      > hi all
      > I need some help installing a latter Java on my G3. Im running ubuntu
      > dapper 6 and the laptop was given to me with the OS already installed
      > and working. So far its been great.
      > powerbook G3 Pismo.
      >
      > I went to install PCgen yesterday and it crashed (see error below) the
      > pcgen install instructions say to check the java version, saying it
      > needed Java 1.5 or higher.
      >
      > java -version gives me
      > Code:
      >
      > java -version
      > java version "1.4.2"
      > gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.0 (Ubuntu 4.1.0-1ubuntu8)
      >

      > apt-get gij tells me its the latest
      >
      > When I was given the laptop the owner mentioned that later versions of
      > ubuntu may not support this older laptop. Does this mean that I am
      > stuck with java 1.4? Is there no way of upgrading it? I am not sure if
      > things on the laptop had to be fiddled above and beyond the standard
      > dapper ppc install in order to get them to work so im a little
      > apprenhisve of digging too deep.
      >

      > uname -a
      > Linux 2.6.15-23-powerpc #1 Tue May 23 13:46:54 UTC 2006 ppc GNU/Linux
      >

      > ~~~~~~~~error given by pcgen
      > ./pcgen.sh
      > Exception in thread "main" java.awt.AWTError: Cannot load AWT toolkit:
      > gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkToolkit
      > at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(libgcj.so.7)
      > at pcgen.util.Logging.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
      > at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.7)
      > at pcgen.core.Main.dieWithBadEntryPoint(Unknown Source)
      > at pcgen.core.Main.main(Unknown Source)
      > gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkToolkit
      > at java.lang.Class.forName(libgcj.so.7)
      > at java.lang.Class.forName(libgcj.so.7)
      > at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(libgcj.so.7)
      > ...4 more

    • Koen Van Daele
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007

        you need to install sun java (it's not installed by default).

        You can find instructions here:
        http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#How_to_install_J2SE_Runtime_Environment_.28JRE.29_with_Plug-in_for_Mozilla_Firefox

        Koen

        > hi all
        > I need some help installing a latter Java on my G3. Im running ubuntu
        > dapper 6 and the laptop was given to me with the OS already installed
        > and working. So far its been great.
        > powerbook G3 Pismo.
        >
        > I went to install PCgen yesterday and it crashed (see error below) the
        > pcgen install instructions say to check the java version, saying it
        > needed Java 1.5 or higher.
        >
        > java -version gives me
        > Code:
        >
        > java -version
        > java version "1.4.2"
        > gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.0 (Ubuntu 4.1.0-1ubuntu8)
        >

        > apt-get gij tells me its the latest
        >
        > When I was given the laptop the owner mentioned that later versions of
        > ubuntu may not support this older laptop. Does this mean that I am
        > stuck with java 1.4? Is there no way of upgrading it? I am not sure if
        > things on the laptop had to be fiddled above and beyond the standard
        > dapper ppc install in order to get them to work so im a little
        > apprenhisve of digging too deep.
        >

        > uname -a
        > Linux 2.6.15-23-powerpc #1 Tue May 23 13:46:54 UTC 2006 ppc GNU/Linux
        >

        > ~~~~~~~~error given by pcgen
        > ./pcgen.sh
        > Exception in thread "main" java.awt.AWTError: Cannot load AWT toolkit:
        > gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkToolkit
        > at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(libgcj.so.7)
        > at pcgen.util.Logging.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
        > at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.7)
        > at pcgen.core.Main.dieWithBadEntryPoint(Unknown Source)
        > at pcgen.core.Main.main(Unknown Source)
        > gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkToolkit
        > at java.lang.Class.forName(libgcj.so.7)
        > at java.lang.Class.forName(libgcj.so.7)
        > at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(libgcj.so.7)
        > ...4 more

      • vector_180
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2007
          I think i went down a similar path previously and it failed because we
          figured it was because this is a powerpc and not a normal intel pc
          type.. I might give it another go tho. Not knowing much about such
          things its all a little confusing.