pcgen on ubuntu powerbook G3

  • vector_180
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
      hi all
      I need some help installing a latter Java on my G3. Im running ubuntu
      dapper 6 and the laptop was given to me with the OS already installed
      and working. So far its been great.
      powerbook G3 Pismo.

      I went to install PCgen yesterday and it crashed (see error below) the
      pcgen install instructions say to check the java version, saying it
      needed Java 1.5 or higher.

      java -version gives me
      Code:

      java -version
      java version "1.4.2"
      gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.0 (Ubuntu 4.1.0-1ubuntu8)

      apt-get gij tells me its the latest

      When I was given the laptop the owner mentioned that later versions of
      ubuntu may not support this older laptop. Does this mean that I am
      stuck with java 1.4? Is there no way of upgrading it? I am not sure if
      things on the laptop had to be fiddled above and beyond the standard
      dapper ppc install in order to get them to work so im a little
      apprenhisve of digging too deep.

      uname -a
      Linux 2.6.15-23-powerpc #1 Tue May 23 13:46:54 UTC 2006 ppc GNU/Linux

      ~~~~~~~~error given by pcgen
      ./pcgen.sh
      Exception in thread "main" java.awt.AWTError: Cannot load AWT toolkit:
      gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkToolkit
      at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(libgcj.so.7)
      at pcgen.util.Logging.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
      at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.7)
      at pcgen.core.Main.dieWithBadEntryPoint(Unknown Source)
      at pcgen.core.Main.main(Unknown Source)
      gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkToolkit
      at java.lang.Class.forName(libgcj.so.7)
      at java.lang.Class.forName(libgcj.so.7)
      at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(libgcj.so.7)
      ...4 more
    • vector_180
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
        ok ubuntu forum said to try ibm-j2re1.5 which i installed but pcgen
        still gives same error :(

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "vector_180" <vector180@...> wrote:

        > hi all
        > I need some help installing a latter Java on my G3. Im running ubuntu
        > dapper 6 and the laptop was given to me with the OS already installed
        > and working. So far its been great.
        > powerbook G3 Pismo.
        >
        > I went to install PCgen yesterday and it crashed (see error below) the
        > pcgen install instructions say to check the java version, saying it
        > needed Java 1.5 or higher.
        >
        > java -version gives me
        > Code:
        >
        > java -version
        > java version "1.4.2"
        > gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.0 (Ubuntu 4.1.0-1ubuntu8)
        >

        > apt-get gij tells me its the latest
        >
        > When I was given the laptop the owner mentioned that later versions of
        > ubuntu may not support this older laptop. Does this mean that I am
        > stuck with java 1.4? Is there no way of upgrading it? I am not sure if
        > things on the laptop had to be fiddled above and beyond the standard
        > dapper ppc install in order to get them to work so im a little
        > apprenhisve of digging too deep.
        >

        > uname -a
        > Linux 2.6.15-23-powerpc #1 Tue May 23 13:46:54 UTC 2006 ppc GNU/Linux
        >

        > ~~~~~~~~error given by pcgen
        > ./pcgen.sh
        > Exception in thread "main" java.awt.AWTError: Cannot load AWT toolkit:
        > gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkToolkit
        > at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(libgcj.so.7)
        > at pcgen.util.Logging.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
        > at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.7)
        > at pcgen.core.Main.dieWithBadEntryPoint(Unknown Source)
        > at pcgen.core.Main.main(Unknown Source)
        > gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkToolkit
        > at java.lang.Class.forName(libgcj.so.7)
        > at java.lang.Class.forName(libgcj.so.7)
        > at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(libgcj.so.7)
        > ...4 more

      • Eric C Smith
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
          Hi Vector,

          I'm guessing but I think you will need to go to Sun's website and
          download the latest version of Java . . . There is a tracker to add
          this note to the docs . . .

          Eric

          On Aug 3, 2007, at 7:29 PM, vector_180 wrote:

          > hi all
          > I need some help installing a latter Java on my G3. Im running ubuntu
          > dapper 6 and the laptop was given to me with the OS already installed
          > and working. So far its been great.
          > powerbook G3 Pismo.
          >
          > I went to install PCgen yesterday and it crashed (see error below) the
          > pcgen install instructions say to check the java version, saying it
          > needed Java 1.5 or higher.
          >
          > java -version gives me
          > Code:
          >
          > java -version
          > java version "1.4.2"
          > gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.0 (Ubuntu 4.1.0-1ubuntu8)
          >
          > apt-get gij tells me its the latest
          >
          > When I was given the laptop the owner mentioned that later versions of
          > ubuntu may not support this older laptop. Does this mean that I am
          > stuck with java 1.4? Is there no way of upgrading it? I am not sure if
          > things on the laptop had to be fiddled above and beyond the standard
          > dapper ppc install in order to get them to work so im a little
          > apprenhisve of digging too deep.
          >
          > uname -a
          > Linux 2.6.15-23-powerpc #1 Tue May 23 13:46:54 UTC 2006 ppc GNU/Linux
          >
          > ~~~~~~~~error given by pcgen
          > ./pcgen.sh
          > Exception in thread "main" java.awt.AWTError: Cannot load AWT toolkit:
          > gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkToolkit
          > at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(libgcj.so.7)
          > at pcgen.util.Logging.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
          > at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.7)
          > at pcgen.core.Main.dieWithBadEntryPoint(Unknown Source)
          > at pcgen.core.Main.main(Unknown Source)
          > gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkToolkit
          > at java.lang.Class.forName(libgcj.so.7)
          > at java.lang.Class.forName(libgcj.so.7)
          > at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(libgcj.so.7)
          > ...4 more

        • Koen Van Daele
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007

            you need to install sun java (it's not installed by default).

            You can find instructions here:
            http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#How_to_install_J2SE_Runtime_Environment_.28JRE.29_with_Plug-in_for_Mozilla_Firefox

            Koen

            > hi all
            > I need some help installing a latter Java on my G3. Im running ubuntu
            > dapper 6 and the laptop was given to me with the OS already installed
            > and working. So far its been great.
            > powerbook G3 Pismo.
            >
            > I went to install PCgen yesterday and it crashed (see error below) the
            > pcgen install instructions say to check the java version, saying it
            > needed Java 1.5 or higher.
            >
            > java -version gives me
            > Code:
            >
            > java -version
            > java version "1.4.2"
            > gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.0 (Ubuntu 4.1.0-1ubuntu8)
            >

            > apt-get gij tells me its the latest
            >
            > When I was given the laptop the owner mentioned that later versions of
            > ubuntu may not support this older laptop. Does this mean that I am
            > stuck with java 1.4? Is there no way of upgrading it? I am not sure if
            > things on the laptop had to be fiddled above and beyond the standard
            > dapper ppc install in order to get them to work so im a little
            > apprenhisve of digging too deep.
            >

            > uname -a
            > Linux 2.6.15-23-powerpc #1 Tue May 23 13:46:54 UTC 2006 ppc GNU/Linux
            >

            > ~~~~~~~~error given by pcgen
            > ./pcgen.sh
            > Exception in thread "main" java.awt.AWTError: Cannot load AWT toolkit:
            > gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkToolkit
            > at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(libgcj.so.7)
            > at pcgen.util.Logging.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
            > at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.7)
            > at pcgen.core.Main.dieWithBadEntryPoint(Unknown Source)
            > at pcgen.core.Main.main(Unknown Source)
            > gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkToolkit
            > at java.lang.Class.forName(libgcj.so.7)
            > at java.lang.Class.forName(libgcj.so.7)
            > at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(libgcj.so.7)
            > ...4 more

          • vector_180
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2007
              I think i went down a similar path previously and it failed because we
              figured it was because this is a powerpc and not a normal intel pc
              type.. I might give it another go tho. Not knowing much about such
              things its all a little confusing.