Re: [pcgen] [Mac user] [Eddy] [Tod Milam] Re: PCGen Slowness

  • Jim Syler
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 2, 2007
      Might it be a problem with using the Mac package version? I seem to
      recall that wasn't okay in the past...

      Jim

      On Aug 2, 2007, at 4:20 AM, Martijn Verburg wrote:

      > Hi there,
      >
      > I'm not sure what the problem could be, I suggest you post your issue
      > to CMP over at:
      >
      > http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com

      >> Er...then how? I follow the instructions, and I get an error when I
      >> quit and restart. It says the options.ini file is damaged, but
      >> removing it doesn't fix the problem. I have to reinstall.
      >>
      >> On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:53 PM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
      >>
      >>> Yes, 5.10.1 is the officially supported version - K

      > PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/#Roadmap
      > PCGen's Online Docs:
      > PCGen's Data Help Grp:

      Ron Paul President 2008!
      It is time for President Paul!
      The only candidate who defends liberty and the
      Constitution!
      http://ronpaul2008.com

      Visit Jim's Web Portal: http://homepage.mac.com/calion/
    • Bragalus
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 2, 2007
        Do you have the 5.10.1 version of the CMP files? If not, you can log into the CMP store and by clicking on the invoice, download the latest version of the files you purchased.

        Might it be a problem with using the Mac package version? I seem to
        recall that wasn't okay in the past...

        Jim

        On Aug 2, 2007, at 4:20 AM, Martijn Verburg wrote:

        > Hi there,
        >
        > I'm not sure what the problem could be, I suggest you post your issue
        > to CMP over at:
        >
        > http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com

        >> Er...then how? I follow the instructions, and I get an error when I
        >> quit and restart. It says the options.ini file is damaged, but
        >> removing it doesn't fix the problem. I have to reinstall.
        >>
        >> On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:53 PM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
        >>
        >>> Yes, 5.10.1 is the officially supported version - K

        > PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/#Roadmap
        > PCGen's Online Docs:
        > PCGen's Data Help Grp:

        Ron Paul President 2008!
        It is time for President Paul!
        The only candidate who defends liberty and the
        Constitution!
        http://ronpaul2008.com

        Visit Jim's Web Portal: http://homepage.mac.com/calion/

      • Terry FitzSimons
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 7, 2007
          On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 09:31:05 -0500, Jim Syler <Calion@...> wrote:

          >On Jul 31, 2007, at 6:52 PM, boomer70 wrote:
          >
          >> --- Jim Syler <Calion@...> wrote:
          >>
          >>> I am experiencing incredible slowness with PCGen
          >>> 5.10.1 on the
          >>> Inventory tab under Mac OS X 10.3.9. Any
          >>> workarounds?
          >>>
          >>> Thanks,
          >>>
          >>> Jim
          >>>

          >> Do you have the option set in
          >> Preferences->PCGen->Equipment->Automatically generate
          >> equipment?
          >>
          >> If so it may be generating scads of equipment which
          >> will cause the list processing to slow down. Other
          >> than that I am not sure. Maybe a Mac person could
          >> help more.
          >
          >No, that's not it. I have that turned off, and every action results in
          >a spinning beach ball for a period of minutes.
          >
          >Jim

          Have you tried to change the list display option. Go to the Inventory
          screen and change the available filter to Type/Subtype/Name. It might
          speed the sorting up.

          Also I found that the more sources that you have loaded the longer it
          takes. I usually run just the complete core and just the supplements and
          game aids the faster it sorts things.

          Terry
          --

          Terry FitzSimons
          FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

          Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon
        • gwaihirwindlord
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 10, 2007
            Hey,
            I hate to res a post like this, but I'd like to know how to do this,
            increase memory allocation, on a PC version, I'm running 5.12.1 on a
            PC with XP.

            Thanks
            Gwaihir

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Eric C. Smith" <maredudd@...> wrote:

            > > I'm not sure how you increase the memory for PCGen on that version of
            > > Mac OS, anyone else know? (Hoping one of our Mac team members replies
            > > here)
            > >

            > You increase the memory allotment by editing the info.plist file,
            which can be found in the
            > 'Contents' folder inside of the PCGen 5.10.1 app package.
            >
            > 1) Right-click, or commend-click, on the PCGen app and select 'Show
            Package Contents'.
            > 2) Double click on the 'Contents' folder. (If in Columns view,
            single click on the Contents
            > folder.)
            > 3) Right-click, or command-click, on 'info.plist', selecting 'Open
            with' and then the
            > application you wish to use t edit the file. Text Editor will work
            but if you have Property
            > List Editor, things will work out better.
            > 4) Look for the following text: -Xms128m -Xmx256m
            > 4.1) If you have 512MB of ram, you can change the text to the
            following: -Xms256m -
            > Xmx512m
            > 4.2) If you have 1GB of ram, you can change the text to the
            following: -Xms512m -
            > Xmx1024m
            > 5) Save the file and relaunch PCGen.
            >
            > Eric

          • joefrazierjr
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 10, 2007
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "gwaihirwindlord" <erickaufmann@...> wrote:

              > Hey,
              > I hate to res a post like this, but I'd like to know how to do this,
              > increase memory allocation, on a PC version, I'm running 5.12.1 on a
              > PC with XP.
              >
              > Thanks
              > Gwaihir

              Assuming the default install path, this resides in pcgen.bat located in:
              C:\Program Files\PCGen\PCGenxxxx\

              where xxxx is replaced by the version you are running. If you are
              using the lastest stable release version, this would be C:\Program
              Files\PCGen\PCGen5121\pcgen.bat.

              You will see this line at the bottom: java -Dswing.aatext=true
              -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar pcgen.jar

              Change the "-Xms128m" to -Xms256m" or whatever, likewise, you can
              change the second one to a higher value also to increase the max
              memory. Basically, you are telling java that it can have that much
              memory as a bare minimum, so make sure you actually will have that
              much free. Don't do this if you only have 256 or 512 total RAM in
              your machine or things will start going to the swap file on disk and
              that drastically lowers the performance. Also, you may want to close
              any unneeded applications, especially if they take a lot of memory.

              I have noticed that on my machine (WinXP) that firefox seems to leak
              memory and the longer I leave it open, the more memory it will take.
              Additionally, many Antivirus programs have a hugh effect on speed of
              the Java apps I use. In my case, Eclipse( a code editor) takes 2-3
              minutes to open with virus scan running, and 15 or so seconds with it
              disabled. Although, PCGen seems to run quite a bit faster and I
              expect that has to do more with the dynamic way Eclipse works that
              anything ("everything" is a plugin which slow things down)