[Mac user] [Eddy] [Tod Milam] Re: PCGen Slowness

  • Martijn Verburg
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
      Yes, 5.10.1 is the officially supported version - K

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Jim Syler <Calion@...> wrote:

      > >> Only if you run PCGen as a stand-alone jar file (as I prefer). I
      > >> don't find it to be that big of a deal. The command history is
      > >> retained from my previous Terminal session (thanks to the built-in
      > >> Darwin command-line interface), so I just have to hit up-arrow a few
      > >> times to get the right cd command and the "java -X..." command line,
      > >> then hit enter. It's just a few keystrokes, really. And I like having
      > >> any errors, stack trace, whatever, show up in the Terminal window if
      > >> something goes wrong. But that's just me. YMMV.
      > >>
      > >> If you installed PCGen as a package (see previous message from Eric
      > >> Smith <maredudd@...>), then follow his directions to modify
      > >> the memory allocation for the package. You'd only have to do that one
      > >> time.
      > >>
      > >> Good luck,
      > >> Michael
      > >>
      > > I do this as well for the development versions I run to keep current
      > > with the code team. A nice tip I've found is that you can create a
      > > terminal file which you can simply double click each time to run the
      > > program.
      > >
      > > To do this open a terminal window, choose Save As, click the radio
      > > button next to "Execute this command" and paste the command line used
      > > run the program. For me this line is:
      > >
      > > bash /Volumes/Europa/Development/Application_PCGen/pcgen.sh
      > >
      > > Note: the path to the pcgen.sh file will be different for you, you can
      > > get the path easily by simply dragging the file into the terminal
      > > window. The pcgen.sh file is a script with sets up you java
      environment
      > > in variables including memory, edit the memory settings in this
      file to
      > > use this method. The pcgen.sh file ships with the standard .jar
      > > package.
      >
      > Do the CMP data sets work with the package version of 5.10.1?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Jim
      >
      > --
      > Ron Paul President 2008!
      > It is time for President Paul!
      > The only candidate who defends liberty and the
      > Constitution!
      > http://ronpaul2008.com
      >
      > Visit Jim's Web Portal: http://homepage.mac.com/calion/

    • Jim Syler
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
        Er...then how? I follow the instructions, and I get an error when I
        quit and restart. It says the options.ini file is damaged, but removing
        it doesn't fix the problem. I have to reinstall.

        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 2, 2007
          Hi there,

          I'm not sure what the problem could be, I suggest you post your issue
          to CMP over at:

          http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com

          > Er...then how? I follow the instructions, and I get an error when I
          > quit and restart. It says the options.ini file is damaged, but
          > removing it doesn't fix the problem. I have to reinstall.
          >
          > On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:53 PM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
          >
          > > Yes, 5.10.1 is the officially supported version - K
          > >

          > >> Do the CMP data sets work with the package version of 5.10.1?
          > >>
          > >> Thanks,
          > >>
          > >> Jim

        • Jim Syler
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 2, 2007
            Might it be a problem with using the Mac package version? I seem to
            recall that wasn't okay in the past...

            Jim

            On Aug 2, 2007, at 4:20 AM, Martijn Verburg wrote:

            > Hi there,
            >
            > I'm not sure what the problem could be, I suggest you post your issue
            > to CMP over at:
            >
            > http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com

            >> Er...then how? I follow the instructions, and I get an error when I
            >> quit and restart. It says the options.ini file is damaged, but
            >> removing it doesn't fix the problem. I have to reinstall.
            >>
            >> On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:53 PM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
            >>
            >>> Yes, 5.10.1 is the officially supported version - K

            > PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/#Roadmap
            > PCGen's Online Docs:
            > PCGen's Data Help Grp:

            Ron Paul President 2008!
            It is time for President Paul!
            The only candidate who defends liberty and the
            Constitution!
            http://ronpaul2008.com

            Visit Jim's Web Portal: http://homepage.mac.com/calion/
          • Bragalus
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 2, 2007
              Do you have the 5.10.1 version of the CMP files? If not, you can log into the CMP store and by clicking on the invoice, download the latest version of the files you purchased.

              Might it be a problem with using the Mac package version? I seem to
              recall that wasn't okay in the past...

              Jim

              On Aug 2, 2007, at 4:20 AM, Martijn Verburg wrote:

              > Hi there,
              >
              > I'm not sure what the problem could be, I suggest you post your issue
              > to CMP over at:
              >
              > http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com

              >> Er...then how? I follow the instructions, and I get an error when I
              >> quit and restart. It says the options.ini file is damaged, but
              >> removing it doesn't fix the problem. I have to reinstall.
              >>
              >> On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:53 PM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
              >>
              >>> Yes, 5.10.1 is the officially supported version - K

              > PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/#Roadmap
              > PCGen's Online Docs:
              > PCGen's Data Help Grp:

              Ron Paul President 2008!
              It is time for President Paul!
              The only candidate who defends liberty and the
              Constitution!
              http://ronpaul2008.com

              Visit Jim's Web Portal: http://homepage.mac.com/calion/

            • Terry FitzSimons
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 7, 2007
                On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 09:31:05 -0500, Jim Syler <Calion@...> wrote:

                >On Jul 31, 2007, at 6:52 PM, boomer70 wrote:
                >
                >> --- Jim Syler <Calion@...> wrote:
                >>
                >>> I am experiencing incredible slowness with PCGen
                >>> 5.10.1 on the
                >>> Inventory tab under Mac OS X 10.3.9. Any
                >>> workarounds?
                >>>
                >>> Thanks,
                >>>
                >>> Jim
                >>>

                >> Do you have the option set in
                >> Preferences->PCGen->Equipment->Automatically generate
                >> equipment?
                >>
                >> If so it may be generating scads of equipment which
                >> will cause the list processing to slow down. Other
                >> than that I am not sure. Maybe a Mac person could
                >> help more.
                >
                >No, that's not it. I have that turned off, and every action results in
                >a spinning beach ball for a period of minutes.
                >
                >Jim

                Have you tried to change the list display option. Go to the Inventory
                screen and change the available filter to Type/Subtype/Name. It might
                speed the sorting up.

                Also I found that the more sources that you have loaded the longer it
                takes. I usually run just the complete core and just the supplements and
                game aids the faster it sorts things.

                Terry
                --

                Terry FitzSimons
                FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

                Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon
              • gwaihirwindlord
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 10, 2007
                  Hey,
                  I hate to res a post like this, but I'd like to know how to do this,
                  increase memory allocation, on a PC version, I'm running 5.12.1 on a
                  PC with XP.

                  Thanks
                  Gwaihir

                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Eric C. Smith" <maredudd@...> wrote:

                  > > I'm not sure how you increase the memory for PCGen on that version of
                  > > Mac OS, anyone else know? (Hoping one of our Mac team members replies
                  > > here)
                  > >

                  > You increase the memory allotment by editing the info.plist file,
                  which can be found in the
                  > 'Contents' folder inside of the PCGen 5.10.1 app package.
                  >
                  > 1) Right-click, or commend-click, on the PCGen app and select 'Show
                  Package Contents'.
                  > 2) Double click on the 'Contents' folder. (If in Columns view,
                  single click on the Contents
                  > folder.)
                  > 3) Right-click, or command-click, on 'info.plist', selecting 'Open
                  with' and then the
                  > application you wish to use t edit the file. Text Editor will work
                  but if you have Property
                  > List Editor, things will work out better.
                  > 4) Look for the following text: -Xms128m -Xmx256m
                  > 4.1) If you have 512MB of ram, you can change the text to the
                  following: -Xms256m -
                  > Xmx512m
                  > 4.2) If you have 1GB of ram, you can change the text to the
                  following: -Xms512m -
                  > Xmx1024m
                  > 5) Save the file and relaunch PCGen.
                  >
                  > Eric

                • joefrazierjr
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 10, 2007
                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "gwaihirwindlord" <erickaufmann@...> wrote:

                    > Hey,
                    > I hate to res a post like this, but I'd like to know how to do this,
                    > increase memory allocation, on a PC version, I'm running 5.12.1 on a
                    > PC with XP.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    > Gwaihir

                    Assuming the default install path, this resides in pcgen.bat located in:
                    C:\Program Files\PCGen\PCGenxxxx\

                    where xxxx is replaced by the version you are running. If you are
                    using the lastest stable release version, this would be C:\Program
                    Files\PCGen\PCGen5121\pcgen.bat.

                    You will see this line at the bottom: java -Dswing.aatext=true
                    -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar pcgen.jar

                    Change the "-Xms128m" to -Xms256m" or whatever, likewise, you can
                    change the second one to a higher value also to increase the max
                    memory. Basically, you are telling java that it can have that much
                    memory as a bare minimum, so make sure you actually will have that
                    much free. Don't do this if you only have 256 or 512 total RAM in
                    your machine or things will start going to the swap file on disk and
                    that drastically lowers the performance. Also, you may want to close
                    any unneeded applications, especially if they take a lot of memory.

                    I have noticed that on my machine (WinXP) that firefox seems to leak
                    memory and the longer I leave it open, the more memory it will take.
                    Additionally, many Antivirus programs have a hugh effect on speed of
                    the Java apps I use. In my case, Eclipse( a code editor) takes 2-3
                    minutes to open with virus scan running, and 15 or so seconds with it
                    disabled. Although, PCGen seems to run quite a bit faster and I
                    expect that has to do more with the dynamic way Eclipse works that
                    anything ("everything" is a plugin which slow things down)