Re: [pcgen] [Mac user] [Eddy] [Tod Milam] Re: PCGen Slowness

  • maredudd@blackroot.org
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
      ?Hi Jim.

      Modifying the info.plist file will make the change a permenant change for PCGen.

      Eric

      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
        On Aug 1, 2007, at 11:17 AM, Jim Syler wrote:

        >> I typically
        >> 1) launch Terminal,
        >> 2) cd to the directory where pcgen.jar lives, then enter (at the
        >> command line)
        >> 3) java -Xms256m -Xmx256m -jar pcgen.jar
        >>
        >> The "256m" parts give Java (the JRE) 256 megabytes of memory to work
        >> with while running PCGen. Feel free to specify a number higher than
        >> that (e.g. 512m) if you have more RAM available than that. By
        >> default, the JRE launches with only 64 megabytes for the application,
        >> which is waaaay too little for PCGen, the RAM-hungry little pig that
        >> it is. ;-)
        >>
        >> If you don't have at least that much memory free, then that may be
        >> your problem. (It will certainly be *a* problem, in any case.)
        >
        > Do I have to do this every time I run PCGen? If so, what's the
        > point of
        > having a Mac installer in the first place?
        >
        > Jim

        Only if you run PCGen as a stand-alone jar file (as I prefer). I
        don't find it to be that big of a deal. The command history is
        retained from my previous Terminal session (thanks to the built-in
        Darwin command-line interface), so I just have to hit up-arrow a few
        times to get the right cd command and the "java -X..." command line,
        then hit enter. It's just a few keystrokes, really. And I like having
        any errors, stack trace, whatever, show up in the Terminal window if
        something goes wrong. But that's just me. YMMV.

        If you installed PCGen as a package (see previous message from Eric
        Smith <maredudd@...>), then follow his directions to modify
        the memory allocation for the package. You'd only have to do that one
        time.

        Good luck,
        Michael
      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
          Michael wrote:
          >> Do I have to do this every time I run PCGen? If so, what's the
          >> point of
          >> having a Mac installer in the first place?
          >>
          >> Jim
          >>

          > Only if you run PCGen as a stand-alone jar file (as I prefer). I
          > don't find it to be that big of a deal. The command history is
          > retained from my previous Terminal session (thanks to the built-in
          > Darwin command-line interface), so I just have to hit up-arrow a few
          > times to get the right cd command and the "java -X..." command line,
          > then hit enter. It's just a few keystrokes, really. And I like having
          > any errors, stack trace, whatever, show up in the Terminal window if
          > something goes wrong. But that's just me. YMMV.
          >
          > If you installed PCGen as a package (see previous message from Eric
          > Smith <maredudd@...>), then follow his directions to modify
          > the memory allocation for the package. You'd only have to do that one
          > time.
          >
          > Good luck,
          > Michael

          I do this as well for the development versions I run to keep current
          with the code team. A nice tip I've found is that you can create a
          terminal file which you can simply double click each time to run the
          program.

          To do this open a terminal window, choose Save As, click the radio
          button next to "Execute this command" and paste the command line used to
          run the program. For me this line is:

          bash /Volumes/Europa/Development/Application_PCGen/pcgen.sh

          Note: the path to the pcgen.sh file will be different for you, you can
          get the path easily by simply dragging the file into the terminal
          window. The pcgen.sh file is a script with sets up you java environment
          in variables including memory, edit the memory settings in this file to
          use this method. The pcgen.sh file ships with the standard .jar package.

          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        • Jim Syler
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
            On Aug 1, 2007, at 12:09 PM, Eddy Anthony wrote:

            > Michael wrote:
            >>> Do I have to do this every time I run PCGen? If so, what's the
            >>> point of
            >>> having a Mac installer in the first place?
            >>>
            >>> Jim
            >>>

            >> Only if you run PCGen as a stand-alone jar file (as I prefer). I
            >> don't find it to be that big of a deal. The command history is
            >> retained from my previous Terminal session (thanks to the built-in
            >> Darwin command-line interface), so I just have to hit up-arrow a few
            >> times to get the right cd command and the "java -X..." command line,
            >> then hit enter. It's just a few keystrokes, really. And I like having
            >> any errors, stack trace, whatever, show up in the Terminal window if
            >> something goes wrong. But that's just me. YMMV.
            >>
            >> If you installed PCGen as a package (see previous message from Eric
            >> Smith <maredudd@...>), then follow his directions to modify
            >> the memory allocation for the package. You'd only have to do that one
            >> time.
            >>
            >> Good luck,
            >> Michael
            >>
            > I do this as well for the development versions I run to keep current
            > with the code team. A nice tip I've found is that you can create a
            > terminal file which you can simply double click each time to run the
            > program.
            >
            > To do this open a terminal window, choose Save As, click the radio
            > button next to "Execute this command" and paste the command line used
            > run the program. For me this line is:
            >
            > bash /Volumes/Europa/Development/Application_PCGen/pcgen.sh
            >
            > Note: the path to the pcgen.sh file will be different for you, you can
            > get the path easily by simply dragging the file into the terminal
            > window. The pcgen.sh file is a script with sets up you java environment
            > in variables including memory, edit the memory settings in this file to
            > use this method. The pcgen.sh file ships with the standard .jar
            > package.

            Do the CMP data sets work with the package version of 5.10.1?

            Thanks,

            Jim

            --
            Ron Paul President 2008!
            It is time for President Paul!
            The only candidate who defends liberty and the
            Constitution!
            http://ronpaul2008.com

            Visit Jim's Web Portal: http://homepage.mac.com/calion/
          • Martijn Verburg
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
              Yes, 5.10.1 is the officially supported version - K

              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
                Er...then how? I follow the instructions, and I get an error when I
                quit and restart. It says the options.ini file is damaged, but removing
                it doesn't fix the problem. I have to reinstall.

                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 2, 2007
                  Hi there,

                  I'm not sure what the problem could be, I suggest you post your issue
                  to CMP over at:

                  http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com

                  > Er...then how? I follow the instructions, and I get an error when I
                  > quit and restart. It says the options.ini file is damaged, but
                  > removing it doesn't fix the problem. I have to reinstall.
                  >
                  > On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:53 PM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
                  >
                  > > Yes, 5.10.1 is the officially supported version - K
                  > >

                  > >> Do the CMP data sets work with the package version of 5.10.1?
                  > >>
                  > >> Thanks,
                  > >>
                  > >> Jim

                • Jim Syler
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 2, 2007
                    Might it be a problem with using the Mac package version? I seem to
                    recall that wasn't okay in the past...

                    Jim

                    On Aug 2, 2007, at 4:20 AM, Martijn Verburg wrote:

                    > Hi there,
                    >
                    > I'm not sure what the problem could be, I suggest you post your issue
                    > to CMP over at:
                    >
                    > http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com

                    >> Er...then how? I follow the instructions, and I get an error when I
                    >> quit and restart. It says the options.ini file is damaged, but
                    >> removing it doesn't fix the problem. I have to reinstall.
                    >>
                    >> On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:53 PM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> Yes, 5.10.1 is the officially supported version - K

                    > PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/#Roadmap
                    > PCGen's Online Docs:
                    > PCGen's Data Help Grp:

                    Ron Paul President 2008!
                    It is time for President Paul!
                    The only candidate who defends liberty and the
                    Constitution!
                    http://ronpaul2008.com

                    Visit Jim's Web Portal: http://homepage.mac.com/calion/
                  • Bragalus
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 2, 2007
                      Do you have the 5.10.1 version of the CMP files? If not, you can log into the CMP store and by clicking on the invoice, download the latest version of the files you purchased.

                      Might it be a problem with using the Mac package version? I seem to
                      recall that wasn't okay in the past...

                      Jim

                      On Aug 2, 2007, at 4:20 AM, Martijn Verburg wrote:

                      > Hi there,
                      >
                      > I'm not sure what the problem could be, I suggest you post your issue
                      > to CMP over at:
                      >
                      > http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com

                      >> Er...then how? I follow the instructions, and I get an error when I
                      >> quit and restart. It says the options.ini file is damaged, but
                      >> removing it doesn't fix the problem. I have to reinstall.
                      >>
                      >> On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:53 PM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> Yes, 5.10.1 is the officially supported version - K

                      > PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/#Roadmap
                      > PCGen's Online Docs:
                      > PCGen's Data Help Grp:

                      Ron Paul President 2008!
                      It is time for President Paul!
                      The only candidate who defends liberty and the
                      Constitution!
                      http://ronpaul2008.com

                      Visit Jim's Web Portal: http://homepage.mac.com/calion/

                    • Terry FitzSimons
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 7, 2007
                        On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 09:31:05 -0500, Jim Syler <Calion@...> wrote:

                        >On Jul 31, 2007, at 6:52 PM, boomer70 wrote:
                        >
                        >> --- Jim Syler <Calion@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >>> I am experiencing incredible slowness with PCGen
                        >>> 5.10.1 on the
                        >>> Inventory tab under Mac OS X 10.3.9. Any
                        >>> workarounds?
                        >>>
                        >>> Thanks,
                        >>>
                        >>> Jim
                        >>>

                        >> Do you have the option set in
                        >> Preferences->PCGen->Equipment->Automatically generate
                        >> equipment?
                        >>
                        >> If so it may be generating scads of equipment which
                        >> will cause the list processing to slow down. Other
                        >> than that I am not sure. Maybe a Mac person could
                        >> help more.
                        >
                        >No, that's not it. I have that turned off, and every action results in
                        >a spinning beach ball for a period of minutes.
                        >
                        >Jim

                        Have you tried to change the list display option. Go to the Inventory
                        screen and change the available filter to Type/Subtype/Name. It might
                        speed the sorting up.

                        Also I found that the more sources that you have loaded the longer it
                        takes. I usually run just the complete core and just the supplements and
                        game aids the faster it sorts things.

                        Terry
                        --

                        Terry FitzSimons
                        FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

                        Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon
                      • gwaihirwindlord
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 10, 2007
                          Hey,
                          I hate to res a post like this, but I'd like to know how to do this,
                          increase memory allocation, on a PC version, I'm running 5.12.1 on a
                          PC with XP.

                          Thanks
                          Gwaihir

                          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Eric C. Smith" <maredudd@...> wrote:

                          > > I'm not sure how you increase the memory for PCGen on that version of
                          > > Mac OS, anyone else know? (Hoping one of our Mac team members replies
                          > > here)
                          > >

                          > You increase the memory allotment by editing the info.plist file,
                          which can be found in the
                          > 'Contents' folder inside of the PCGen 5.10.1 app package.
                          >
                          > 1) Right-click, or commend-click, on the PCGen app and select 'Show
                          Package Contents'.
                          > 2) Double click on the 'Contents' folder. (If in Columns view,
                          single click on the Contents
                          > folder.)
                          > 3) Right-click, or command-click, on 'info.plist', selecting 'Open
                          with' and then the
                          > application you wish to use t edit the file. Text Editor will work
                          but if you have Property
                          > List Editor, things will work out better.
                          > 4) Look for the following text: -Xms128m -Xmx256m
                          > 4.1) If you have 512MB of ram, you can change the text to the
                          following: -Xms256m -
                          > Xmx512m
                          > 4.2) If you have 1GB of ram, you can change the text to the
                          following: -Xms512m -
                          > Xmx1024m
                          > 5) Save the file and relaunch PCGen.
                          >
                          > Eric

                        • joefrazierjr
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 10, 2007
                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "gwaihirwindlord" <erickaufmann@...> wrote:

                            > Hey,
                            > I hate to res a post like this, but I'd like to know how to do this,
                            > increase memory allocation, on a PC version, I'm running 5.12.1 on a
                            > PC with XP.
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            > Gwaihir

                            Assuming the default install path, this resides in pcgen.bat located in:
                            C:\Program Files\PCGen\PCGenxxxx\

                            where xxxx is replaced by the version you are running. If you are
                            using the lastest stable release version, this would be C:\Program
                            Files\PCGen\PCGen5121\pcgen.bat.

                            You will see this line at the bottom: java -Dswing.aatext=true
                            -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar pcgen.jar

                            Change the "-Xms128m" to -Xms256m" or whatever, likewise, you can
                            change the second one to a higher value also to increase the max
                            memory. Basically, you are telling java that it can have that much
                            memory as a bare minimum, so make sure you actually will have that
                            much free. Don't do this if you only have 256 or 512 total RAM in
                            your machine or things will start going to the swap file on disk and
                            that drastically lowers the performance. Also, you may want to close
                            any unneeded applications, especially if they take a lot of memory.

                            I have noticed that on my machine (WinXP) that firefox seems to leak
                            memory and the longer I leave it open, the more memory it will take.
                            Additionally, many Antivirus programs have a hugh effect on speed of
                            the Java apps I use. In my case, Eclipse( a code editor) takes 2-3
                            minutes to open with virus scan running, and 15 or so seconds with it
                            disabled. Although, PCGen seems to run quite a bit faster and I
                            expect that has to do more with the dynamic way Eclipse works that
                            anything ("everything" is a plugin which slow things down)