Re: [pcgen] PCGen Slowness

  • Jim Syler
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
      On Jul 31, 2007, at 6:52 PM, boomer70 wrote:

      > --- Jim Syler <Calion@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I am experiencing incredible slowness with PCGen
      >> 5.10.1 on the
      >> Inventory tab under Mac OS X 10.3.9. Any
      >> workarounds?
      >>
      >> Thanks,
      >>
      >> Jim
      >>

      > Do you have the option set in
      > Preferences->PCGen->Equipment->Automatically generate
      > equipment?
      >
      > If so it may be generating scads of equipment which
      > will cause the list processing to slow down. Other
      > than that I am not sure. Maybe a Mac person could
      > help more.

      No, that's not it. I have that turned off, and every action results in
      a spinning beach ball for a period of minutes.

      Jim

      --
      Ron Paul President 2008!
      It is time for President Paul!

      Visit Jim's Web Portal: http://homepage.mac.com/calion/
    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
        > >> I am experiencing incredible slowness with PCGen
        > >> 5.10.1 on the Inventory tab under Mac OS X 10.3.9. Any
        > >> workarounds?
        > >>
        > >> Thanks,
        > >>
        > >> Jim

        I'm not sure how you increase the memory for PCGen on that version of
        Mac OS, anyone else know? (Hoping one of our Mac team members replies
        here)

      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
          Martijn Verburg wrote:

          > I'm not sure how you increase the memory for PCGen on that version of
          > Mac OS, anyone else know? (Hoping one of our Mac team members replies
          > here)

          Instructions for increasing memory settings are included in the read me
          file which comes with the installer.

          I don't think it will help though. I believe the problem is that 5.10.1
          uses some java 1.5 code. So your options are to downgrade to 5.10.0 or
          upgrade to Mac OS X 10.4.x which has java 1.5.

          If you decide to upgrade your system I'd wait, the next system upgrade
          (Leopard) will be coming out in October and if you want access to the
          next java version (1.6) you are going to need to upgrade to this as
          Tiger will be stuck with java 1.5.

          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
            On Aug 1, 2007, at 10:50 AM, Martijn Verburg wrote:

            > I'm not sure how you increase the memory for PCGen on that version of
            > Mac OS, anyone else know? (Hoping one of our Mac team members replies
            > here)

            I typically
            1) launch Terminal,
            2) cd to the directory where pcgen.jar lives, then enter (at the
            command line)
            3) java -Xms256m -Xmx256m -jar pcgen.jar

            The "256m" parts give Java (the JRE) 256 megabytes of memory to work
            with while running PCGen. Feel free to specify a number higher than
            that (e.g. 512m) if you have more RAM available than that. By
            default, the JRE launches with only 64 megabytes for the application,
            which is waaaay too little for PCGen, the RAM-hungry little pig that
            it is. ;-)

            If you don't have at least that much memory free, then that may be
            your problem. (It will certainly be *a* problem, in any case.)

            Hope that helps.

            Michael
          • Jim Syler
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
              On Aug 1, 2007, at 11:13 AM, Michael wrote:

              >> I'm not sure how you increase the memory for PCGen on that version of
              >> Mac OS, anyone else know? (Hoping one of our Mac team members replies
              >> here)

              > I typically
              > 1) launch Terminal,
              > 2) cd to the directory where pcgen.jar lives, then enter (at the
              > command line)
              > 3) java -Xms256m -Xmx256m -jar pcgen.jar
              >
              > The "256m" parts give Java (the JRE) 256 megabytes of memory to work
              > with while running PCGen. Feel free to specify a number higher than
              > that (e.g. 512m) if you have more RAM available than that. By
              > default, the JRE launches with only 64 megabytes for the application,
              > which is waaaay too little for PCGen, the RAM-hungry little pig that
              > it is. ;-)
              >
              > If you don't have at least that much memory free, then that may be
              > your problem. (It will certainly be *a* problem, in any case.)

              Do I have to do this every time I run PCGen? If so, what's the point of
              having a Mac installer in the first place?

              Jim

              --
              Ron Paul President 2008!
              It is time for President Paul!
              The only candidate who defends liberty and the
              Constitution!
              http://ronpaul2008.com

              Visit Jim's Web Portal: http://homepage.mac.com/calion/
            • Eric C. Smith
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Martijn Verburg" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

                > I'm not sure how you increase the memory for PCGen on that version of
                > Mac OS, anyone else know? (Hoping one of our Mac team members replies
                > here)

                You increase the memory allotment by editing the info.plist file, which can be found in the
                'Contents' folder inside of the PCGen 5.10.1 app package.

                1) Right-click, or commend-click, on the PCGen app and select 'Show Package Contents'.
                2) Double click on the 'Contents' folder. (If in Columns view, single click on the Contents
                folder.)
                3) Right-click, or command-click, on 'info.plist', selecting 'Open with' and then the
                application you wish to use t edit the file. Text Editor will work but if you have Property
                List Editor, things will work out better.
                4) Look for the following text: -Xms128m -Xmx256m
                4.1) If you have 512MB of ram, you can change the text to the following: -Xms256m -
                Xmx512m
                4.2) If you have 1GB of ram, you can change the text to the following: -Xms512m -
                Xmx1024m
                5) Save the file and relaunch PCGen.

                Eric
              • Eddy Anthony
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
                  Jim Syler wrote:
                  >> I typically
                  >> 1) launch Terminal,
                  >> 2) cd to the directory where pcgen.jar lives, then enter (at the
                  >> command line)
                  >> 3) java -Xms256m -Xmx256m -jar pcgen.jar
                  >>
                  >> The "256m" parts give Java (the JRE) 256 megabytes of memory to work
                  >> with while running PCGen. Feel free to specify a number higher than
                  >> that (e.g. 512m) if you have more RAM available than that. By
                  >> default, the JRE launches with only 64 megabytes for the application,
                  >> which is waaaay too little for PCGen, the RAM-hungry little pig that
                  >> it is. ;-)
                  >>
                  >> If you don't have at least that much memory free, then that may be
                  >> your problem. (It will certainly be *a* problem, in any case.)
                  >>

                  > Do I have to do this every time I run PCGen? If so, what's the point of
                  > having a Mac installer in the first place?
                  >
                  > Jim
                  Those instructions are for use with the .jar download not the Mac app
                  package. Memory usage for the mac app can be adjusted with the procedure
                  Eric just posted, once that is done it's set and uses the new settings
                  every time you run PCGen. I'll repost this:

                  You increase the memory allotment by editing the info.plist file, which can be found in the
                  'Contents' folder inside of the PCGen 5.10.1 app package.

                  1) Right-click, or commend-click, on the PCGen app and select 'Show Package Contents'.
                  2) Double click on the 'Contents' folder. (If in Columns view, single click on the Contents
                  folder.)
                  3) Right-click, or command-click, on 'info.plist', selecting 'Open with' and then the
                  application you wish to use t edit the file. Text Editor will work but if you have Property
                  List Editor, things will work out better.

                • maredudd@blackroot.org
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
                    ?Hi Jim.

                    Modifying the info.plist file will make the change a permenant change for PCGen.

                    Eric

                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
                      On Aug 1, 2007, at 11:17 AM, Jim Syler wrote:

                      >> I typically
                      >> 1) launch Terminal,
                      >> 2) cd to the directory where pcgen.jar lives, then enter (at the
                      >> command line)
                      >> 3) java -Xms256m -Xmx256m -jar pcgen.jar
                      >>
                      >> The "256m" parts give Java (the JRE) 256 megabytes of memory to work
                      >> with while running PCGen. Feel free to specify a number higher than
                      >> that (e.g. 512m) if you have more RAM available than that. By
                      >> default, the JRE launches with only 64 megabytes for the application,
                      >> which is waaaay too little for PCGen, the RAM-hungry little pig that
                      >> it is. ;-)
                      >>
                      >> If you don't have at least that much memory free, then that may be
                      >> your problem. (It will certainly be *a* problem, in any case.)
                      >
                      > Do I have to do this every time I run PCGen? If so, what's the
                      > point of
                      > having a Mac installer in the first place?
                      >
                      > Jim

                      Only if you run PCGen as a stand-alone jar file (as I prefer). I
                      don't find it to be that big of a deal. The command history is
                      retained from my previous Terminal session (thanks to the built-in
                      Darwin command-line interface), so I just have to hit up-arrow a few
                      times to get the right cd command and the "java -X..." command line,
                      then hit enter. It's just a few keystrokes, really. And I like having
                      any errors, stack trace, whatever, show up in the Terminal window if
                      something goes wrong. But that's just me. YMMV.

                      If you installed PCGen as a package (see previous message from Eric
                      Smith <maredudd@...>), then follow his directions to modify
                      the memory allocation for the package. You'd only have to do that one
                      time.

                      Good luck,
                      Michael
                    • Eddy Anthony
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
                        Michael wrote:
                        >> Do I have to do this every time I run PCGen? If so, what's the
                        >> point of
                        >> having a Mac installer in the first place?
                        >>
                        >> Jim
                        >>

                        > Only if you run PCGen as a stand-alone jar file (as I prefer). I
                        > don't find it to be that big of a deal. The command history is
                        > retained from my previous Terminal session (thanks to the built-in
                        > Darwin command-line interface), so I just have to hit up-arrow a few
                        > times to get the right cd command and the "java -X..." command line,
                        > then hit enter. It's just a few keystrokes, really. And I like having
                        > any errors, stack trace, whatever, show up in the Terminal window if
                        > something goes wrong. But that's just me. YMMV.
                        >
                        > If you installed PCGen as a package (see previous message from Eric
                        > Smith <maredudd@...>), then follow his directions to modify
                        > the memory allocation for the package. You'd only have to do that one
                        > time.
                        >
                        > Good luck,
                        > Michael

                        I do this as well for the development versions I run to keep current
                        with the code team. A nice tip I've found is that you can create a
                        terminal file which you can simply double click each time to run the
                        program.

                        To do this open a terminal window, choose Save As, click the radio
                        button next to "Execute this command" and paste the command line used to
                        run the program. For me this line is:

                        bash /Volumes/Europa/Development/Application_PCGen/pcgen.sh

                        Note: the path to the pcgen.sh file will be different for you, you can
                        get the path easily by simply dragging the file into the terminal
                        window. The pcgen.sh file is a script with sets up you java environment
                        in variables including memory, edit the memory settings in this file to
                        use this method. The pcgen.sh file ships with the standard .jar package.

                        --
                        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                      • Jim Syler
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
                          On Aug 1, 2007, at 12:09 PM, Eddy Anthony wrote:

                          > Michael wrote:
                          >>> Do I have to do this every time I run PCGen? If so, what's the
                          >>> point of
                          >>> having a Mac installer in the first place?
                          >>>
                          >>> Jim
                          >>>

                          >> Only if you run PCGen as a stand-alone jar file (as I prefer). I
                          >> don't find it to be that big of a deal. The command history is
                          >> retained from my previous Terminal session (thanks to the built-in
                          >> Darwin command-line interface), so I just have to hit up-arrow a few
                          >> times to get the right cd command and the "java -X..." command line,
                          >> then hit enter. It's just a few keystrokes, really. And I like having
                          >> any errors, stack trace, whatever, show up in the Terminal window if
                          >> something goes wrong. But that's just me. YMMV.
                          >>
                          >> If you installed PCGen as a package (see previous message from Eric
                          >> Smith <maredudd@...>), then follow his directions to modify
                          >> the memory allocation for the package. You'd only have to do that one
                          >> time.
                          >>
                          >> Good luck,
                          >> Michael
                          >>
                          > I do this as well for the development versions I run to keep current
                          > with the code team. A nice tip I've found is that you can create a
                          > terminal file which you can simply double click each time to run the
                          > program.
                          >
                          > To do this open a terminal window, choose Save As, click the radio
                          > button next to "Execute this command" and paste the command line used
                          > run the program. For me this line is:
                          >
                          > bash /Volumes/Europa/Development/Application_PCGen/pcgen.sh
                          >
                          > Note: the path to the pcgen.sh file will be different for you, you can
                          > get the path easily by simply dragging the file into the terminal
                          > window. The pcgen.sh file is a script with sets up you java environment
                          > in variables including memory, edit the memory settings in this file to
                          > use this method. The pcgen.sh file ships with the standard .jar
                          > package.

                          Do the CMP data sets work with the package version of 5.10.1?

                          Thanks,

                          Jim

                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
                            Yes, 5.10.1 is the officially supported version - K

                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 1, 2007
                              Er...then how? I follow the instructions, and I get an error when I
                              quit and restart. It says the options.ini file is damaged, but removing
                              it doesn't fix the problem. I have to reinstall.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 2, 2007
                                Hi there,

                                I'm not sure what the problem could be, I suggest you post your issue
                                to CMP over at:

                                http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com

                                > Er...then how? I follow the instructions, and I get an error when I
                                > quit and restart. It says the options.ini file is damaged, but
                                > removing it doesn't fix the problem. I have to reinstall.
                                >
                                > On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:53 PM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
                                >
                                > > Yes, 5.10.1 is the officially supported version - K
                                > >

                                > >> Do the CMP data sets work with the package version of 5.10.1?
                                > >>
                                > >> Thanks,
                                > >>
                                > >> Jim

                              • Jim Syler
                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 2, 2007
                                  Might it be a problem with using the Mac package version? I seem to
                                  recall that wasn't okay in the past...

                                  Jim

                                  On Aug 2, 2007, at 4:20 AM, Martijn Verburg wrote:

                                  > Hi there,
                                  >
                                  > I'm not sure what the problem could be, I suggest you post your issue
                                  > to CMP over at:
                                  >
                                  > http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com

                                  >> Er...then how? I follow the instructions, and I get an error when I
                                  >> quit and restart. It says the options.ini file is damaged, but
                                  >> removing it doesn't fix the problem. I have to reinstall.
                                  >>
                                  >> On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:53 PM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >>> Yes, 5.10.1 is the officially supported version - K

                                  > PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/#Roadmap
                                  > PCGen's Online Docs:
                                  > PCGen's Data Help Grp:

                                  Ron Paul President 2008!
                                  It is time for President Paul!
                                  The only candidate who defends liberty and the
                                  Constitution!
                                  http://ronpaul2008.com

                                  Visit Jim's Web Portal: http://homepage.mac.com/calion/
                                • Bragalus
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 2, 2007
                                    Do you have the 5.10.1 version of the CMP files? If not, you can log into the CMP store and by clicking on the invoice, download the latest version of the files you purchased.

                                    Might it be a problem with using the Mac package version? I seem to
                                    recall that wasn't okay in the past...

                                    Jim

                                    On Aug 2, 2007, at 4:20 AM, Martijn Verburg wrote:

                                    > Hi there,
                                    >
                                    > I'm not sure what the problem could be, I suggest you post your issue
                                    > to CMP over at:
                                    >
                                    > http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com

                                    >> Er...then how? I follow the instructions, and I get an error when I
                                    >> quit and restart. It says the options.ini file is damaged, but
                                    >> removing it doesn't fix the problem. I have to reinstall.
                                    >>
                                    >> On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:53 PM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >>> Yes, 5.10.1 is the officially supported version - K

                                    > PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/#Roadmap
                                    > PCGen's Online Docs:
                                    > PCGen's Data Help Grp:

                                    Ron Paul President 2008!
                                    It is time for President Paul!
                                    The only candidate who defends liberty and the
                                    Constitution!
                                    http://ronpaul2008.com

                                    Visit Jim's Web Portal: http://homepage.mac.com/calion/

                                  • Terry FitzSimons
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 7, 2007
                                      On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 09:31:05 -0500, Jim Syler <Calion@...> wrote:

                                      >On Jul 31, 2007, at 6:52 PM, boomer70 wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> --- Jim Syler <Calion@...> wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >>> I am experiencing incredible slowness with PCGen
                                      >>> 5.10.1 on the
                                      >>> Inventory tab under Mac OS X 10.3.9. Any
                                      >>> workarounds?
                                      >>>
                                      >>> Thanks,
                                      >>>
                                      >>> Jim
                                      >>>

                                      >> Do you have the option set in
                                      >> Preferences->PCGen->Equipment->Automatically generate
                                      >> equipment?
                                      >>
                                      >> If so it may be generating scads of equipment which
                                      >> will cause the list processing to slow down. Other
                                      >> than that I am not sure. Maybe a Mac person could
                                      >> help more.
                                      >
                                      >No, that's not it. I have that turned off, and every action results in
                                      >a spinning beach ball for a period of minutes.
                                      >
                                      >Jim

                                      Have you tried to change the list display option. Go to the Inventory
                                      screen and change the available filter to Type/Subtype/Name. It might
                                      speed the sorting up.

                                      Also I found that the more sources that you have loaded the longer it
                                      takes. I usually run just the complete core and just the supplements and
                                      game aids the faster it sorts things.

                                      Terry
                                      --

                                      Terry FitzSimons
                                      FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

                                      Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon
                                    • gwaihirwindlord
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 10, 2007
                                        Hey,
                                        I hate to res a post like this, but I'd like to know how to do this,
                                        increase memory allocation, on a PC version, I'm running 5.12.1 on a
                                        PC with XP.

                                        Thanks
                                        Gwaihir

                                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Eric C. Smith" <maredudd@...> wrote:

                                        > > I'm not sure how you increase the memory for PCGen on that version of
                                        > > Mac OS, anyone else know? (Hoping one of our Mac team members replies
                                        > > here)
                                        > >

                                        > You increase the memory allotment by editing the info.plist file,
                                        which can be found in the
                                        > 'Contents' folder inside of the PCGen 5.10.1 app package.
                                        >
                                        > 1) Right-click, or commend-click, on the PCGen app and select 'Show
                                        Package Contents'.
                                        > 2) Double click on the 'Contents' folder. (If in Columns view,
                                        single click on the Contents
                                        > folder.)
                                        > 3) Right-click, or command-click, on 'info.plist', selecting 'Open
                                        with' and then the
                                        > application you wish to use t edit the file. Text Editor will work
                                        but if you have Property
                                        > List Editor, things will work out better.
                                        > 4) Look for the following text: -Xms128m -Xmx256m
                                        > 4.1) If you have 512MB of ram, you can change the text to the
                                        following: -Xms256m -
                                        > Xmx512m
                                        > 4.2) If you have 1GB of ram, you can change the text to the
                                        following: -Xms512m -
                                        > Xmx1024m
                                        > 5) Save the file and relaunch PCGen.
                                        >
                                        > Eric

                                      • joefrazierjr
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 10, 2007
                                          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "gwaihirwindlord" <erickaufmann@...> wrote:

                                          > Hey,
                                          > I hate to res a post like this, but I'd like to know how to do this,
                                          > increase memory allocation, on a PC version, I'm running 5.12.1 on a
                                          > PC with XP.
                                          >
                                          > Thanks
                                          > Gwaihir

                                          Assuming the default install path, this resides in pcgen.bat located in:
                                          C:\Program Files\PCGen\PCGenxxxx\

                                          where xxxx is replaced by the version you are running. If you are
                                          using the lastest stable release version, this would be C:\Program
                                          Files\PCGen\PCGen5121\pcgen.bat.

                                          You will see this line at the bottom: java -Dswing.aatext=true
                                          -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar pcgen.jar

                                          Change the "-Xms128m" to -Xms256m" or whatever, likewise, you can
                                          change the second one to a higher value also to increase the max
                                          memory. Basically, you are telling java that it can have that much
                                          memory as a bare minimum, so make sure you actually will have that
                                          much free. Don't do this if you only have 256 or 512 total RAM in
                                          your machine or things will start going to the swap file on disk and
                                          that drastically lowers the performance. Also, you may want to close
                                          any unneeded applications, especially if they take a lot of memory.

                                          I have noticed that on my machine (WinXP) that firefox seems to leak
                                          memory and the longer I leave it open, the more memory it will take.
                                          Additionally, many Antivirus programs have a hugh effect on speed of
                                          the Java apps I use. In my case, Eclipse( a code editor) takes 2-3
                                          minutes to open with virus scan running, and 15 or so seconds with it
                                          disabled. Although, PCGen seems to run quite a bit faster and I
                                          expect that has to do more with the dynamic way Eclipse works that
                                          anything ("everything" is a plugin which slow things down)