Re: [pcgen] [Tir] Re: Awakened Animal template

  • Tir Gwaith
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3 5:40 PM
      > > Should the ADDLEVEL tag be adding 2 levels of Magical Beast instead of
      > > 2 levels of Animal, seeing as the race type changes to Magical Beast?
      > > And should all previous 'levels' of Animal also get changed to Magical
      > > Beast?

      Short answer: No.

      Long answer, including references:

      RSRD, SpellsA-B, Awaken: "An awakened animal gets 3d6 Intelligence,
      +1d3 Charisma, and +2 HD. Its type becomes magical beast (augmented
      animal). "

      RSRD, TypesSubtypesAbilities, Augmented: "A creature with the
      augmented subtype usually has the traits of its current type, but the
      features of its original type."

      RSRD, TypesSubtypesAbilities, Animal, Features:
      "Features: An animal has the following features (unless otherwise
      noted in a creature's entry).
      —d8 Hit Dice.
      —Base attack bonus equal to 3/4 total Hit Dice (as cleric).
      —Good Fortitude and Reflex saves (certain animals have different good saves).
      —Skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with
      quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.
      "

      RSRD, TypesSubtypesAbilities, Magical Beast, Traits:
      "Traits: A magical beast possesses the following traits (unless
      otherwise noted in a creature's entry).
      —Darkvision out to 60 feet and low-light vision.
      —Proficient with its natural weapons only.
      —Proficient with no armor.
      —Magical beasts eat, sleep, and breathe.
      "

      So, the HD should be Animal, but it is a Magical Beast (Augmented Animal).

      I'm really surprised I didn't notice the difference between Traits and
      Features and what it means before. We currently only track one
      RACETYPE, and have a difficulty separating which meaning we have. I
      think we can get around that with PRExxx to check both RACETYPE and
      RACESUBTYPE (for the original type before augmentation).

      PCGen LST Chimp