Writing a PCC file

  • bleaciu
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
      I am writing a PCC file, but I don't know how to implement the various
      tags directly into the LST editor. What do I do?
    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
        > I am writing a PCC file, but I don't know how to implement the various
        > tags directly into the LST editor. What do I do?

        You probably need to edit the files by hand, there are several places
        that you can look to for help:

        1.) Our documentation at:

        http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html

        contains a section on PCC files and how to code them

        2.) There's a lesson on this at our Y! group LstFileClass

        3.) There's constant Q & A at our Y! group PCGenLSTFileHelp

        Karianna
      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
          On 7/1/07, bleaciu <bleaciu@...> wrote:
          > I am writing a PCC file, but I don't know how to implement the various
          > tags directly into the LST editor. What do I do?

          I don't look at the LST Editors very often. I do suggest you read the
          LSTFileClass #1 and #2, PCC files. It is in the Docs, Index.html,
          left pane, Expand List Files, Exand LST File Classes, click on Lesson
          1, and then Lesson 2 when you finish reading the first.

          That should give you a good understanding of how the structure works,
          and the LST Editor or by hand should be straight-forward from there.

          PCGen LST Chimp
        • arawn_darkone
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
            I find starting off a project rather difficult for a number of
            reasons: like having to load some datasets first, organizing files of
            the datasets.

            I found grabbing the text editor and read the tutorials have helped me
            get started far quicker and with a working dataset.

            > On 7/1/07, bleaciu <bleaciu@...> wrote:
            > > I am writing a PCC file, but I don't know how to implement the various
            > > tags directly into the LST editor. What do I do?
            >
            > I don't look at the LST Editors very often. I do suggest you read the
            > LSTFileClass #1 and #2, PCC files. It is in the Docs, Index.html,
            > left pane, Expand List Files, Exand LST File Classes, click on Lesson
            > 1, and then Lesson 2 when you finish reading the first.
            >
            > That should give you a good understanding of how the structure works,
            > and the LST Editor or by hand should be straight-forward from there.
            >
            > --
            > Tir Gwaith
            > PCGen LST Chimp

          • Caleb Ulfers
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
              Okay, let me clarify. I have completed everything EXCEPT the copyright/license tags at the bottom of the file.

              arawn_darkone <arawn_darkone@...> wrote: I find starting off a project rather difficult for a number of
              reasons: like having to load some datasets first, organizing files of
              the datasets.

              I found grabbing the text editor and read the tutorials have helped me
              get started far quicker and with a working dataset.

              > On 7/1/07, bleaciu <bleaciu@...> wrote:
              > > I am writing a PCC file, but I don't know how to implement the various
              > > tags directly into the LST editor. What do I do?
              >
              > I don't look at the LST Editors very often. I do suggest you read the
              > LSTFileClass #1 and #2, PCC files. It is in the Docs, Index.html,
              > left pane, Expand List Files, Exand LST File Classes, click on Lesson
              > 1, and then Lesson 2 when you finish reading the first.
              >
              > That should give you a good understanding of how the structure works,
              > and the LST Editor or by hand should be straight-forward from there.
              >
              > --
              > Tir Gwaith
              > PCGen LST Chimp

              Caleb Ulfers

            • Tir Gwaith
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
                On 7/3/07, Caleb Ulfers <bleaciu@...> wrote:
                > Okay, let me clarify. I have completed everything EXCEPT the copyright/license tags at the bottom of the file.

                You don't need the COPYRIGHT or License various tags for a homebrew.

                Does everything load up fine?

                PCGen LST Chimp
              • Caleb Ulfers
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
                  I'm not writng a homebrew. I'm putting all of WotC's DnD books in my copy of PCGen for my own use.

                  Tir Gwaith <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote: On 7/3/07, Caleb Ulfers <bleaciu@...> wrote:
                  > Okay, let me clarify. I have completed everything EXCEPT the copyright/license tags at the bottom of the file.

                  You don't need the COPYRIGHT or License various tags for a homebrew.

                  Does everything load up fine?

                  PCGen LST Chimp

                  Caleb Ulfers

                • cofoghlu
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 4, 2007
                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Caleb Ulfers <bleaciu@...> wrote:

                    > I'm not writng a homebrew. I'm putting all of WotC's DnD books in my
                    copy of PCGen for my own use.

                    Hi Caleb,

                    If it is only for your own use, then ignore the COPYRIGHT and License
                    stuff, it won't affect how the data loads or can be used locally.

                    Those tags are there so that when datasets are distributed with PCGen
                    (or when they are sold by companies with the rights to sell datasets
                    like Code Monkey Publishing) that the ownership of the intellectual
                    property is clear.

                    If you are using data that is not allowed to be distributed (like the
                    WoTC stuff) then leaving it out in your own constructed datasets is no
                    problem.

                    So, does the pcc file pull in all the lst files that you need? Are you
                    seeing the data that you need to create your characters?

                    Cheers,

                    Cormac
                  • Caleb Ulfers
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
                      I haven't gotten to that part yet. I don't need those tags to share the files with players (if I wanted to, do I?