[Tir] Re: Awakened Animal template

  • Martijn Verburg
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2007
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Byngl" <byngl@...> wrote:

      > Should the ADDLEVEL tag be adding 2 levels of Magical Beast instead of
      > 2 levels of Animal, seeing as the race type changes to Magical Beast?
      > And should all previous 'levels' of Animal also get changed to Magical
      > Beast?
      >
      > Byngl

    • Tir Gwaith
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2007
        > > Should the ADDLEVEL tag be adding 2 levels of Magical Beast instead of
        > > 2 levels of Animal, seeing as the race type changes to Magical Beast?
        > > And should all previous 'levels' of Animal also get changed to Magical
        > > Beast?

        Short answer: No.

        Long answer, including references:

        RSRD, SpellsA-B, Awaken: "An awakened animal gets 3d6 Intelligence,
        +1d3 Charisma, and +2 HD. Its type becomes magical beast (augmented
        animal). "

        RSRD, TypesSubtypesAbilities, Augmented: "A creature with the
        augmented subtype usually has the traits of its current type, but the
        features of its original type."

        RSRD, TypesSubtypesAbilities, Animal, Features:
        "Features: An animal has the following features (unless otherwise
        noted in a creature's entry).
        —d8 Hit Dice.
        —Base attack bonus equal to 3/4 total Hit Dice (as cleric).
        —Good Fortitude and Reflex saves (certain animals have different good saves).
        —Skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with
        quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.
        "

        RSRD, TypesSubtypesAbilities, Magical Beast, Traits:
        "Traits: A magical beast possesses the following traits (unless
        otherwise noted in a creature's entry).
        —Darkvision out to 60 feet and low-light vision.
        —Proficient with its natural weapons only.
        —Proficient with no armor.
        —Magical beasts eat, sleep, and breathe.
        "

        So, the HD should be Animal, but it is a Magical Beast (Augmented Animal).

        I'm really surprised I didn't notice the difference between Traits and
        Features and what it means before. We currently only track one
        RACETYPE, and have a difficulty separating which meaning we have. I
        think we can get around that with PRExxx to check both RACETYPE and
        RACESUBTYPE (for the original type before augmentation).

        PCGen LST Chimp