Awakened Animal template

  • Byngl
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2007
      Should the ADDLEVEL tag be adding 2 levels of Magical Beast instead of
      2 levels of Animal, seeing as the race type changes to Magical Beast?
      And should all previous 'levels' of Animal also get changed to Magical
      Beast?

      Byngl
    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2007
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Byngl" <byngl@...> wrote:

        > Should the ADDLEVEL tag be adding 2 levels of Magical Beast instead of
        > 2 levels of Animal, seeing as the race type changes to Magical Beast?
        > And should all previous 'levels' of Animal also get changed to Magical
        > Beast?
        >
        > Byngl

      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2007
          > > Should the ADDLEVEL tag be adding 2 levels of Magical Beast instead of
          > > 2 levels of Animal, seeing as the race type changes to Magical Beast?
          > > And should all previous 'levels' of Animal also get changed to Magical
          > > Beast?

          Short answer: No.

          Long answer, including references:

          RSRD, SpellsA-B, Awaken: "An awakened animal gets 3d6 Intelligence,
          +1d3 Charisma, and +2 HD. Its type becomes magical beast (augmented
          animal). "

          RSRD, TypesSubtypesAbilities, Augmented: "A creature with the
          augmented subtype usually has the traits of its current type, but the
          features of its original type."

          RSRD, TypesSubtypesAbilities, Animal, Features:
          "Features: An animal has the following features (unless otherwise
          noted in a creature's entry).
          —d8 Hit Dice.
          —Base attack bonus equal to 3/4 total Hit Dice (as cleric).
          —Good Fortitude and Reflex saves (certain animals have different good saves).
          —Skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with
          quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.
          "

          RSRD, TypesSubtypesAbilities, Magical Beast, Traits:
          "Traits: A magical beast possesses the following traits (unless
          otherwise noted in a creature's entry).
          —Darkvision out to 60 feet and low-light vision.
          —Proficient with its natural weapons only.
          —Proficient with no armor.
          —Magical beasts eat, sleep, and breathe.
          "

          So, the HD should be Animal, but it is a Magical Beast (Augmented Animal).

          I'm really surprised I didn't notice the difference between Traits and
          Features and what it means before. We currently only track one
          RACETYPE, and have a difficulty separating which meaning we have. I
          think we can get around that with PRExxx to check both RACETYPE and
          RACESUBTYPE (for the original type before augmentation).

          PCGen LST Chimp