Data Bug

  • W. Robert Reed III
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 28, 2007
      Unless the intent was to actually have the disco balls dance to their own
      lighting.. I do believe this is a typo. ;p

      Living Lighting
      50 New Ways to Blow Things Up - Starlanko the Magnificent's Big Book of
      Evocations
      p.25

      W. Robert Reed III
      Mynex
      - #1 Evil Monkey
      - Code Monkey Publishing Co-Founder
      - Summum Malorum Simius
    • Tir Gwaith
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 28, 2007
        On 6/28/07, W. Robert Reed III <mynex@...> wrote:
        > Unless the intent was to actually have the disco balls dance to their own
        > lighting.. I do believe this is a typo. ;p
        >
        > Living Lighting

        That would be my error, since I did the initial entry. Fixed, and
        since it is an object name changed, logged in the LST converter
        tracker.

        PCGen LST Chimp
      • Kevin Fernandes
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 29, 2007
          Hello everyone. I just grabbed this software (5.10.2) for the first
          time (I know, where have I been? :)

          I am not sure if this is the proper list for a newbie to PC Gen to ask
          questions, so I apologize in advance.

          I am really interested in using the Encounter and Initiative features of
          GM Gen but I am having some problems understanding how to use them or
          how they were intended to be used. Are there any tutorials or more
          detailed documentation available someplace? Any help would be appreciated.

          Here is an example of what I would like to do. I have an adventure that
          I would like to pre-create the fixed encounters for. I go to the
          encounter tab and select one orc then click "Begin Combat". At this
          point I am presented with PC Gen populated with "orc" statistics (though
          not the proper default ability scores, for that I have to select a
          monster kit, is this correct?). I adjust the stats and give it
          equipment, but then what? What do I have to do in order for the
          initiative tracker to pick up the new stats (i.e. HP) in the table, the
          text description is correct though? Because it does not seem to do it
          automatically, I have to save the orc as a character, then shutdown and
          restart PC Gen then load the orc again for it to appear correctly in the
          initiative tracker. Is this correct or am I missing something? I also
          want there to be three orcs in the encounter, not just one. I tried
          duplicating the one I already have (using the duplicate button) but it
          says its already loaded. Do I have to modify and save a different copy
          for each orc in my encounter? This could become very tedious if this is
          the case.

          Anyway, this looks like a great tool and I hope to be able to use it
          more and learn it better in the future. And thanks again for any
          assistance.

          Kevin F.
        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 29, 2007
            Kevin Fernandes scribed:

            > Hello everyone. I just grabbed this software (5.10.2) for the first
            > time (I know, where have I been? :)
            >
            > I am not sure if this is the proper list for a newbie to PC Gen to ask
            > questions, so I apologize in advance.

            Hi Kevin, yup this is the place for this type of inquiry.

            > I am really interested in using the Encounter and Initiative features of
            > GM Gen but I am having some problems understanding how to use them or
            > how they were intended to be used. Are there any tutorials or more
            > detailed documentation available someplace? Any help would be appreciated.

            Have you found the docs which come with the program, you can access them
            from the Help menu in the upper right or just look for the docs folder in
            the PCGen folder.

            > Here is an example of what I would like to do. I have an adventure that
            > I would like to pre-create the fixed encounters for. I go to the
            > encounter tab and select one orc then click "Begin Combat". At this
            > point I am presented with PC Gen populated with "orc" statistics (though
            > not the proper default ability scores, for that I have to select a
            > monster kit, is this correct?). I adjust the stats and give it
            > equipment, but then what? What do I have to do in order for the
            > initiative tracker to pick up the new stats (i.e. HP) in the table, the
            > text description is correct though? Because it does not seem to do it
            > automatically, I have to save the orc as a character, then shutdown and
            > restart PC Gen then load the orc again for it to appear correctly in the
            > initiative tracker. Is this correct or am I missing something? I also
            > want there to be three orcs in the encounter, not just one. I tried
            > duplicating the one I already have (using the duplicate button) but it
            > says its already loaded. Do I have to modify and save a different copy
            > for each orc in my encounter? This could become very tedious if this is
            > the case.

            The main problem I see here is that GMGen's Encounter has not seen much
            improvement lately and has not kept up with newer features of the program.
            To create an accurate default orc you should create a new character and then
            before you do anything else click the Create Monster/Add Kit button and
            choose Default Orc from the list. This will make an orc with stats and
            equipment matching the source book in a minimal amount of clicks.

            Unfortunately you will need to create a character for each combatant unless
            you use the add combatant button which doesn't use a character (I think this
            is what can be duplicated with the duplicate button). I put in a request to
            be able to use a single character multiple times in the initiative tab.

            I like the features of the initiative tab myself but I find it's too slow to
            use at the table. My hope is that the architectural changes that are being
            worked on now will speed things up and hopefully the whole GMGen side of
            things might get some attention and new features as well.
            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          • Kevin Fernandes
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
              Thanks for the response Eddy,
              I admit that I only glanced through the online docs, after reviewing
              them further I realized that multiple character (monsters) had appeared
              in PCGen but just had not noticed them at first. (Doh! :)

              I think the answer to my problem may be to create new kits to represent
              the different types of orcs that could appear in the encounter. So I
              guess I need to delve into creating and/or modifying .LST files :).

              I sure hope that development on the encounter and initiative portions of
              GMGen continue, these are features that I (and I am sure others) look
              for and there are lot of (pay-for) tools out there that do this.

              Thanks again, I am sure I will have more questions as I proceed.
              Kevin F.

              Eddy Anthony wrote:

> [...]
              > equipment matching the source book in a minimal amount of clicks.
              >
              > Unfortunately you will need to create a character for each combatant
              > unless
              > you use the add combatant button which doesn't use a character (I
              > think this
              > is what can be duplicated with the duplicate button). I put in a
              > request to
              > be able to use a single character multiple times in the initiative tab.
              >
              > I like the features of the initiative tab myself but I find it's too
              > slow to
              > use at the table. My hope is that the architectural changes that are being
              > worked on now will speed things up and hopefully the whole GMGen side of
              > things might get some attention and new features as well.
              > --
              > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              > ~ PCGen BoD, Data Content Second, Doc Chimp

            • Eddy
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 2, 2007
                >Thanks for the response Eddy,

                You're welcome :)

                >I admit that I only glanced through the online docs, after reviewing
                >them further I realized that multiple character (monsters) had appeared
                >in PCGen but just had not noticed them at first. (Doh! :)
                >
                >I think the answer to my problem may be to create new kits to represent
                >the different types of orcs that could appear in the encounter. So I
                >guess I need to delve into creating and/or modifying .LST files :).

                That would probably be the fastest way to do what you are looking to do. I would start with finding the Default Orc kit, copying it, pasting it into your own file and modifying it from there. You could use the "MyDataset" directory and change it's name as a starting point.

                >I sure hope that development on the encounter and initiative portions of
                >GMGen continue, these are features that I (and I am sure others) look
                >for and there are lot of (pay-for) tools out there that do this.
                >
                >Thanks again, I am sure I will have more questions as I proceed.
                >Kevin F.

                That's my hope as well. We have aother yahoo group specifically dedicated to LST file editing you can join:

                ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                ~ PCGen BoD, Data Second, Doc Chimp