Re: [pcgen] Re: Poll comments

  • Tir Gwaith
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 26, 2007
      > Yeah unfortunately the Wiki on SF doesn't perform terribly well, in
      > fact the overall performance of SF has been degrading over the last
      > year. I'm not sure what we'll do _if_ we move to a new site, I know
      > the collaborative natures of Wikis are incredibly useful (there is
      > some really good stuff on ours at the moment for example). I guess we
      > need to pick one that is faster and perhaps more well known (something
      > like media wiki (Wikipedia's one))

      Media wiki is much smoother. The SF one, and what we had on Devon's
      site, were both really cumbersome.

      > 1.) We'll have the hosting $$ (for at least 2 years of hosting), so
      > that's not going to be an issue.

      Hadn't even thought of that. More concerned with hardware/software failures.

      > 2.) We're not in a immediate rush to move (e.g. We can build and
      > significantly test a beta site).

      That part makes me happy. :)

      > 3.) We'll ensure that we have a backup site that we can move to
      > immediately (perhaps even hosted at a completely seperate company)

      This too. If possible, and not to much of a drain, a DB backup
      tarball somewhere else. That's the biggest problem ENWorld had a few
      times: both the original and backup files were @ the same location,
      and both got fried at the same time (obligitory IIRC).

      PCGen LST Chimp
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 9, 2007
        Hi, folks:

        Sorry for not posting in so long. Life has been happening... some
        bumps in the road, but mostly good stuff that's just kept me way too
        busy. (Hint: my first and probably only child just had his 1st
        birthday.) :-)

        Anyway, I just now got caught up on several months' worth of posts to
        this board. (Wow... words fail to describe...)

        I thought this one needed a reply:

        On Jun 25, 2007, at 8:39 PM, merton_monk wrote:

        > I really like Firefox, but it just can't handle a lot of websites
        > that I visit, so my use of Firefox has pretty much gone away. One of
        > the few things that microsoft has done well is IE, so I stick with
        > that, despite my bias against all things microsoft.
        > <snip>
        >
        > Bryan McRoberts
        > Benevolent Dictator of PCGen
        > Code Monkey Publishing, Co-Founder

        Bryan, I have to agree with your observation (Microsoft Internet
        Explorer works well with lots of websites) but not the conclusion you
        reached (Microsoft did well with IE).

        Actually, IE is a great example of the tail wagging the dog. IE is
        not standards-compliant, and has lots of behavior under the hood that
        breaks standards-compliant web sites. Therefore, most website
        developers go out of their way to insure their website works well
        with IE, even though they break standards-compliant browsers in so
        doing.

        It's possible to build sturdy, stable, robust websites that work well
        with both IE *and* standards-based browsers (e.g. Firefox), but it's
        a pain and most website developers either don't know how, don't have
        the time, or both. It's also possible to build standards-based
        websites that avoid all of the non-standard IE pitfalls and thus work
        well with both browsers... but, again, it's a pain and rarely done.

        Moving on to other topics... I know that the polls are closed and
        it's way late to be offering an opinion, but in case Kariana or
        anyone else cares, I would have voted for:
        POLL QUESTION: Would you move to a new PCGen site with forums?
        - No - I'd rather not, but if you insist on moving, mailing list
        functionality is a must, 26 votes, 21.14%

        My reasons are pretty much the same as stated by Tyr and others. I
        find forums to be a pain to navigate. Even when they were up, I hated
        having to go to CMP's forums. I find email vastly easier to navigate
        and keep track of. To reply to a thread, I just have to click
        "Reply"... I don't have to go log into a web site, drill down to the
        thread I care about, click through to the end of the thread to see
        what's posted lately, and fill out a web form if I care to add to the
        discussion. I also have my own archive on my own computer for as long
        as I care to keep it. All of the GUI wonderfulness of forums just
        isn't a good trade for the simple functionality of email, in my opinion.

        I'll go back to lurking now.

        Haven't said it in a long time: thanks for all that you do here. :-)

        Michael
      • David Allan Finch
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 10, 2007
          Tir Gwaith wrote:
          > Since the latest poll wants us to comment on things we'd like to see changed.

          I was ask to comment to so here is mine (not all these are to do with
          PCgen management as such):

          a) It had start to rankle about the /don't mension non-SRD stuff/ but
          fortantly this has already been addressed.

          b) I like Wikis but I think Wiki you have been using is difficult to use
          and read from.

          c) I don't like Web Forums at all. I have no problem with email lists
          been put up on a Web Forum for those that want to see them but email is
          so much simpler to handle and means you don't loose them when you are
          too busy to keep up.

          d) PCgen has the basis to be a great character generator for more than
          d20 bases systems if some of the limits and algorithms where made
          changeable in config files (say by using spidermoney for javascript).

          e) [whine on] I have never got this /you can't distrubute compatable
          DnD/ stuff when you can't copyright, trademark or patent rules. WotC
          have used licensing as a weapon to by pass this. As far as I know PCgen
          is not or does need to be OGL and CMP no longer has licenses so I don't
          see why you have to follow a WotC Meme. [whine off]

          f) The PCgen tab format is difficult to use, please make it more free
          text editable ie the {} format blocks or the white space on a new line
          continues the last line. As someone that programmes everyday I find it
          harder and harder to want to do LST programing with the current format.

          g) The BoD IRC chat emails are difficult to read. May be if they where
          just put up as a HTML page and a link in an email to there location.

          h) I am not sure I have seen a document that explains the XML/PDF OS
          stuff (but I have not look in some time, to be trueful).

          i) It would be nice if there was a /show only things I can do now/
          option. IE it does not display feats etc I can never have. As the /over
          loaded/ display is one of the major problems Newbies seemed to have.

          That is all for now.

          David Allan Finch
        • Martijn Verburg
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 10, 2007
            Hi David,

            Thanks for the feedback!

            > I was ask to comment to so here is mine (not all these are to do
            > with PCgen management as such):
            >
            > a) It had start to rankle about the /don't mension non-SRD stuff/
            > but fortunately this has already been addressed.

            We're much happier with the new policy and the increase in mail
            traffic is a good indicator that this was the right choice.

            > b) I like Wikis but I think Wiki you have been using is difficult to
            > use and read from.

            We agree, we'll hopefully move to a new one with the new site.

            > c) I don't like Web Forums at all. I have no problem with email
            > lists been put up on a Web Forum for those that want to see them but
            > email is so much simpler to handle and means you don't loose them
            > when you are too busy to keep up.

            As stated after the pool results, we won't move to a Forum unless
            that's backed up by a mailing list. We may need to get something
            built for that, but rest assured we won't be forcing a move until this
            is done.

            > d) PCgen has the basis to be a great character generator for more
            > than d20 bases systems if some of the limits and algorithms where
            > made changeable in config files (say by using spidermoney for
            > javascript).

            As part of the CDOM changes and further architectural changes PCGen
            probably will be able to support other non d20 games in the future.
            However this is exceedingly more difficult than people realise and
            won't be happening for some time :(.

            > e) [whine on] I have never got this /you can't distrubute compatable
            > DnD/ stuff when you can't copyright, trademark or patent rules. WotC
            > have used licensing as a weapon to by pass this. As far as I know
            > PCgen is not or does need to be OGL and CMP no longer has licenses
            > so I don't see why you have to follow a WotC Meme. [whine off]

            This has been discussed for years now :). Bottom line is:

            * We have a policy to follow Publishers wishes regardless of whether
            we have the legal right or not. So even if we legally could, we
            wouldn't because WotC asked us not to.

            * Even if we weren't publisher friendly there's no way we're going to
            force Bryan to face any sort of legal proceedings on our behalf

            > f) The PCgen tab format is difficult to use, please make it more
            > free text editable ie the {} format blocks or the white space on a
            > new line continues the last line. As someone that programmes
            > everyday I find it harder and harder to want to do LST programing
            > with the current format.

            * Have you tried using some of the syntax highlighting aids that the
            data monkeys have? There are useful aids for most popular text
            editors out there

            * After CDOM (PCGen 6.0) it will become easier to write data in any
            old format and have a plugin convert that to what's needed internally
            for the program. I know that some people will work on an XML plugin
            for example.

            > g) The BoD IRC chat emails are difficult to read. May be if they
            > where just put up as a HTML page and a link in an email to there
            > location.

            I guess we could try to do both (people complained when we didn't post
            them straight here). We'll see what we can do.

            > h) I am not sure I have seen a document that explains the XML/PDF OS
            > stuff (but I have not look in some time, to be trueful).

            See the docs that come with PCGen, there's a section on Output Sheets
            and their various tags. There is an existing doc freq to enhance that
            section.

            > i) It would be nice if there was a /show only things I can do now/
            > option. IE it does not display feats etc I can never have. As the
            > /over loaded/ display is one of the major problems Newbies seemed to
            > have.

            There are filters in PCGen already that can filter out based on a
            QUALIFY rule, see the documentation for how they work (it's the little
            magnifying glass)

            Thanks for your feedback, I hope my responses helped!

            Karianna
          • David Allan Finch
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 10, 2007
              Martijn Verburg wrote:
              > Thanks for the feedback!

              No probs.

              >> i) It would be nice if there was a /show only things I can do now/
              >> option. IE it does not display feats etc I can never have. As the
              >> /over loaded/ display is one of the major problems Newbies seemed to
              >> have.
              >>

              > There are filters in PCGen already that can filter out based on a
              > QUALIFY rule, see the documentation for how they work (it's the little
              > magnifying glass)

              Yep I know. What I mean is: You level up and there are no feats to
              select so the Feat tab does no show at all. IE you are led throught what
              your current options are.

              > Thanks for your feedback, I hope my responses helped!

              Thanks for your responces :)

              Regards
              David Allan Finch
            • Martijn Verburg
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 10, 2007
                > >> i) It would be nice if there was a /show only things I can do
                > >> now/option. IE it does not display feats etc I can never have. As
                > >> the /over loaded/ display is one of the major problems Newbies
                > >> seemed to have.
                > >>
                > > There are filters in PCGen already that can filter out based on a
                > > QUALIFY rule, see the documentation for how they work (it's the
                > > little magnifying glass)
                >
                > Yep I know. What I mean is: You level up and there are no feats to
                > select so the Feat tab does no show at all. IE you are led throught
                > what your current options are.

                Ahh, you mean a more wizard like approach, we'll definitely think
                about this for 6.2 (when doing our UI overhaul), we'll have to balance
                things between the basic and expert users (e.g. Some users will want
                to override the fact that they don't get a FEAT at that level). But
                your idea has definite merit!