Editing Files, First Time

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 25, 2007
      Not really sure if I am allowed to speak on this, but I assure you
      the data in question as legally purchased back when CMP was able to
      sell it. Therefore....

      I have a list of old 5.8.1 datasets for CMP.

      I am editing them now to add certain data that was released since.
      Much has gone as I wanted but I found one that did not.

      For example, my old dataset has a race called "Shifter". Taking said
      race gives you all the cool stats and benefits, feats and so on, but
      also prompts you to select a "type" of shifter. Longtooth,
      razorclow, etc.

      All good and dandy.

      In my world, Shifter by itself is not a race, we allow for a subrace,
      such as:

      Shifter (Dwarf)
      Shifter (Human)
      Shifter (Elf)

      I see this is done on other races like Dwarf (Deep) and such...

      I made all the needed racial adjustments to the file, copied each
      over individually and adjusted them for their own specific changes.

      The problem is, in doing this *everything* as far as stat adjustments
      and racial bonues work, except the feats an d the type prompt never
      appear. Obviously a key item is missed.

      I looked at feats and I was how they are listed. Do I need to then
      make 6 copies of each feat and list them for each race, or is there a
      way to make a feat to say, Shifter (anything) links to this?

      Hopefully this makes sense.

      Thanks.
    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 26, 2007
        Hi there,

        Sounds like you're pretty close! To get the quickest response, I
        would post this question on our PCGenLSTFileHelp group, all of the
        experts tend to hang out over there :)

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <soulkeeper@...> wrote:

        > Not really sure if I am allowed to speak on this, but I assure you
        > the data in question as legally purchased back when CMP was able to
        > sell it. Therefore....
        >
        > I have a list of old 5.8.1 datasets for CMP.
        >
        > I am editing them now to add certain data that was released since.
        > Much has gone as I wanted but I found one that did not.
        >
        > For example, my old dataset has a race called "Shifter". Taking said
        > race gives you all the cool stats and benefits, feats and so on, but
        > also prompts you to select a "type" of shifter. Longtooth,
        > razorclow, etc.
        >
        > All good and dandy.
        >
        > In my world, Shifter by itself is not a race, we allow for a subrace,
        > such as:
        >
        > Shifter (Dwarf)
        > Shifter (Human)
        > Shifter (Elf)
        >
        > I see this is done on other races like Dwarf (Deep) and such...
        >
        > I made all the needed racial adjustments to the file, copied each
        > over individually and adjusted them for their own specific changes.
        >
        > The problem is, in doing this *everything* as far as stat adjustments
        > and racial bonues work, except the feats an d the type prompt never
        > appear. Obviously a key item is missed.
        >
        > I looked at feats and I was how they are listed. Do I need to then
        > make 6 copies of each feat and list them for each race, or is there a
        > way to make a feat to say, Shifter (anything) links to this?
        >
        > Hopefully this makes sense.
        >
        > Thanks.

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 26, 2007
          Thank you.

          I was not aware of it, but I found it as you suggested and will do so!

          :)