Calling all Mac Intel PCGen users

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 20, 2007
      We received a report from a user with a Mac Intel stating that the installer
      would fail. I don't have an Intel Mac to test on yet and since it works for
      me I suspect that there is an incompatibility with the installer program. I
      can't troubleshoot this until I get access to an Intel Mac (which should
      happen soon at my job).

      I don't want Intel users to be left out in the cold so I've created another
      option. I've added a file to the 5.12.0 RC3 release named
      pcgen5120rc3_macintel_install.dmg. This package does not use an installer,
      instead it has the application right there and it can simply be copied to
      your applications folder. The release notes and other information is
      available in a read me file also on the dmg. This package can be used on any
      Mac running OS X, not just Intel Macs.

      Intel users, this will bypass the installer problem since no installer is
      involved, if at all possible I'd like to get some feed back to see if the
      Mac app itself has any problems running on an Intel Mac.

      I'd also like to hear from all Mac users about this configuration, I'm
      thinking that we might want to switch to this entirely. The installer does
      not do anything other than put the app in the applications folder and look
      pretty doing it. The installer looks more professional but the package is
      easier to put together without it and I'm not sure the added complication
      brings us anything.

      Thoughts?
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
    • Anestis Kozakis
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 20, 2007

        --
        Anestis Kozakis
        kenosti@...
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 20, 2007
          Sorry about the previous message.

          I had no problems installing PCGen via the installer, and then running
          PCGen on an Intel Mac (Macbook Pro 17 inch).

          --
          Anestis Kozakis
          kenosti@...
          http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~kenosti/
        • Ludovic Fierville
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 20, 2007
            The installer worked perfecty for me on my Mac Pro (OS X.4.9) the
            last time I used it (RC2, haven't tried the RC3 yet).

            However, since as you said the installer does nothing more than copy
            the program in the /Applications folder, I don't think it is very
            useful (using an installer to copy a file seems a bit like windows
            thinking to me :p )

            You could perhaps try to add a link to the Applications folder on
            the .dmg (not an alias but a "unix" link), but since the Applications
            folder is visible in the left panel bar since 10.3 (or was it 10.2 ?)
            it's not really important.

            To conclude, thanks for this installation method, I like it much more
            than an installer.

            Ludo

            Ludovic Fierville
            lfierville<at>gmail<dot>com