Re: The future of this community.. needs your vote!

  • Martijn Verburg
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 15, 2007
      Hi all,

      > A couple of tough questions:
      >
      > Can a free program support its own website with forums and the
      > potential traffic that a PCGen website with forums could generate?

      We _think_ we can yes, but that's why we're polling you guys, if we
      don't have the numbers coming across, it would be pointless :). I'd
      aim to grow the community there significantly, but we'd definitely
      need everyone from here coming over first.

      > How would the site be paid for? Donations? It seems to me that a
      > free program making use of resources on the net like Sourceforge and
      > Yahoo Groups doesn't have a lot of extra money to spread around on
      > an official website with all the bells and whistles.

      * General Donations
      * Sponsorship (catch-22 here, it's felt strongly by the BoD that
      unless we have a serious online/web presence it's hard to get
      Publishers to sponsor us)
      * The bank of Karianna (Which is why I'm trying to figure out if this
      is viable or not). I'd be aiming to put in a fair chunk of funding.

      It's also worth noting that we'd still be hosting files and code etc
      on Sourceforge, heck even JBoss and other large OS projects still do :)

      > Do you have someone lined up to maintain the site? Web designer(s),
      > Moderators, etc?

      Yes on both fronts.

      > The big questions are, does the group have the time and money?
      > Otherwise from an organization of topics as well as a dissemination
      > point for news on PCGen I think a full featured website makes good
      > sense. But it would be a real let down if the site closed for lack
      > of funds, content, or moderation of the forums.

      Well, I personally think we can solve the funds, content and
      moderation issues. But we need to see if the community is as large
      and active as we think it is before moving to such a solution.