Re: NPE on program load

  • Martijn Verburg
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 9, 2007
      What version of Java & PCGen are you running? It could be the old
      Java 6.0 (without the update) error

      > Sometimes (or rather more often than not) on loading sources in PCGen I
      > get the following Null Pointer Exception. Anybody got any ideas
      about this?

      > ------------------------------ snip ------------------------------
      > java.lang.NullPointerException
      > at
      javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableUI.paintCells(BasicTableUI.java:1963)
      > at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableUI.paint(BasicTableUI.java:1765)
      > at javax.swing.plaf.ComponentUI.update(ComponentUI.java:143)
      > at javax.swing.JComponent.paintComponent(JComponent.java:758)
      > at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(JComponent.java:1022)
      > at javax.swing.JComponent.paintToOffscreen(JComponent.java:5104)
      > at

      javax.swing.BufferStrategyPaintManager.paint(BufferStrategyPaintManager.java:285)
      > at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paint(RepaintManager.java:1128)
      > at javax.swing.JComponent._paintImmediately(JComponent.java:5052)
      > at javax.swing.JComponent.paintImmediately(JComponent.java:4862)
      > at
      javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(RepaintManager.java:723)
      > at
      javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(RepaintManager.java:679)
      > at
      javax.swing.RepaintManager.seqPaintDirtyRegions(RepaintManager.java:659)
      > at

      javax.swing.SystemEventQueueUtilities$ComponentWorkRequest.run(SystemEventQueueUtilities.java:128)
      > at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
      > at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:597)
      > at

      pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1$WaitCursorEventQueue.dispatchEvent(PCGen_Frame1.java:3463)
      > at

      java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:273)
      > at

      java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:183)
      > at

      java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:173)
      > at
      java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:168)
      > at
      java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:160)

      java.awt.event.InvocationEvent[INVOCATION_DEFAULT,runnable=javax.swing.SystemEventQueueUtilities$ComponentWorkRequest@e0b1d6,notifier=null,catchExceptions=false,when=1181393929722]
      > on sun.awt.X11.XToolkit@fde050
      > ------------------------------ snip ------------------------------
      >
      > Stefan.

    • Stefan Radermacher
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 9, 2007
        That was with a current SVN revision of PCGen and Java 1.6.0.01, but I
        have been seeing this for a long time, with Java 1.5, too.

        Stefan.

      • Martijn Verburg
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 10, 2007
          Hmm,

          I can't seem to replicate this at all, what game mode and sources are
          you loading, any custom stuff?

          Could you also maybe try with a fresh install from one of the dloads
          at SF and see if that has the same problem?

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Radermacher <radermacher@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >> at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:597)
          > >> at

          pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1$WaitCursorEventQueue.dispatchEvent(PCGen_Frame1.java:3463)
          > >> at

          java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:273)
          > >> at

          java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:183)
          > >> at

          java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:173)
          > >> at
          > > java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:168)
          > >> at
          > > java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:160)
          > >> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:121)

        • Tom Parker
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 10, 2007
            wrote:

            > Hmm,
            >
            > I can't seem to replicate this at all, what game mode and sources are
            > you loading, any custom stuff?
            >
            > Could you also maybe try with a fresh install from one of the dloads
            > at SF and see if that has the same problem?

            Also, do you have a multi-core system that would indicate this could
            be a thread safety issue?
          • Nigel Bennington
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 10, 2007
              Sort options on Templates tab don't function correctly in 5.10.2.

              You can sort on Name, Type/Name or Source/Name

              However, if you select Type/Name or Source/Name, you are presented with
              a list of types or sources as appropriate, each with a + to expand it.

              Unfortunately, clicking on the + has no effect, and you can't see the
              actual templates.

              PCGEN version: 5.10.2
              Java Version: 1.6
              Windows XP Pro SP2

              OK, minor correction, after some more testing, you need to double-click
              on the node icons, whereas elsewhere in the system, a single click suffices.

              This holds true with all supplied look and feel options, and all
              supplied skins.

              Cheers,

              Coromir.
            • Nigel Bennington
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 10, 2007
                On the FEATS tab, when you select to sort by pre-req tree, only the
                first branch of the tree is shown.

                For example, Dodge is a pre-req for mobility, which is a pre-req for
                Spring attack,

                when you select to sort by pre-req tree however, Mobility is shown as a
                branch from Dodge, but Spring attack is shown as a root node.

                PCGEN version 5.10.2
                Java 1.6
                Windows XP Pro SP2

                Cheers,

                Coromir.

                (p.s. given the quantity of bugs I'm reporting of late, should I apply
                for test monkey status :) )
              • Stefan Radermacher
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 10, 2007
                  I have seen this using RSRD Complete game source in 35e game mode, but I
                  don't think it is in any way data related. I will try with a fresh download.

                  I'm indeed using a multi-core CPU, a Core 2 Duo to be exact, using
                  Gentoo Linux, Kernel 2.6.21.1 and Java 1.6.0.01.

                  Stefan.

                  Tom Parker wrote:
                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Martijn Verburg" <martijnverburg@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >> Hmm,
                  >>
                  >> I can't seem to replicate this at all, what game mode and sources are
                  >> you loading, any custom stuff?
                  >>
                  >> Could you also maybe try with a fresh install from one of the dloads
                  >> at SF and see if that has the same problem?
                  >
                  > Also, do you have a multi-core system that would indicate this could
                  > be a thread safety issue?

                • Tom Parker
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 10, 2007
                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Radermacher <radermacher@...> wrote:
                    > I'm indeed using a multi-core CPU, a Core 2 Duo to be exact, using
                    > Gentoo Linux, Kernel 2.6.21.1 and Java 1.6.0.01.

                    Yea, so I agree with your assessment that this is unlikely to be data
                    related. It is very likely a thread safety issue... this won't be fun
                    to find...
                  • Stefan Radermacher
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 10, 2007
                      Tom Parker wrote:

                      > Yea, so I agree with your assessment that this is unlikely to be data
                      > related. It is very likely a thread safety issue... this won't be fun
                      > to find...

                      Actually I've been seeing that error on and off for quite some time,
                      long before switching to Java 1.6. I can't ruel out that I've had that
                      on an older system with an Athlon XP. I tried once to find out what
                      causes that but I got lost in confusing code :-)

                      Stefan.
                    • Tom Parker
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 10, 2007
                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Radermacher <radermacher@...> wrote:
                        > Actually I've been seeing that error on and off for quite some time,
                        > long before switching to Java 1.6. I can't ruel out that I've had that
                        > on an older system with an Athlon XP. I tried once to find out what
                        > causes that but I got lost in confusing code :-)

                        Well, it /might/ manifast on other systems, but like most thread
                        issues, will be orders of magnitude more common on a dual/multi- core
                        system.

                        Given my experience with threads, combined with this being a pure GUI
                        stack (no PCGen code involved in the stack trace [the one PCGen method
                        is actually just an override]), I suspect that somewhere we have code
                        that is adding to (or taking away from) the UI (meaning adding or
                        removing components, not changing values in a field) in something that
                        isn't the AWT thread. That's asking for trouble, because the added
                        component may not be completely initialized and ready to be painted.

                        Anyone have any familiarity with where all the threads are
                        created/run? I know I don't :) [and it would take some searching to
                        find them all]
                      • Martijn Verburg
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 11, 2007
                          confirmed and trackered

                          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Nigel Bennington <nigel@...> wrote:

                          > Sort options on Templates tab don't function correctly in 5.10.2.
                          >
                          > You can sort on Name, Type/Name or Source/Name
                          >
                          > However, if you select Type/Name or Source/Name, you are presented with
                          > a list of types or sources as appropriate, each with a + to expand it.
                          >
                          > Unfortunately, clicking on the + has no effect, and you can't see the
                          > actual templates.
                          >
                          > PCGEN version: 5.10.2
                          > Java Version: 1.6
                          > Windows XP Pro SP2
                          >

                          > OK, minor correction, after some more testing, you need to double-click
                          > on the node icons, whereas elsewhere in the system, a single click
                          suffices.

                          > This holds true with all supplied look and feel options, and all
                          > supplied skins.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          >
                          > Coromir.

                        • Martijn Verburg
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 11, 2007
                            Confirmed and trackered.

                            Coromir, if you're genuinely interested, we are looking for QA
                            monkeys, please PM me :)

                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Nigel Bennington <nigel@...> wrote:

                            > On the FEATS tab, when you select to sort by pre-req tree, only the
                            > first branch of the tree is shown.
                            >
                            > For example, Dodge is a pre-req for mobility, which is a pre-req for
                            > Spring attack,
                            >
                            > when you select to sort by pre-req tree however, Mobility is shown as a
                            > branch from Dodge, but Spring attack is shown as a root node.
                            >

                            > PCGEN version 5.10.2
                            > Java 1.6
                            > Windows XP Pro SP2
                            >

                            > Cheers,
                            >
                            > Coromir.
                            >
                            > (p.s. given the quantity of bugs I'm reporting of late, should I apply
                            > for test monkey status :) )

                          • Tom Parker
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 11, 2007
                              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Radermacher <radermacher@...> wrote:
                              > Actually I've been seeing that error on and off for quite some time,
                              > long before switching to Java 1.6. I can't ruel out that I've had that
                              > on an older system with an Athlon XP. I tried once to find out what
                              > causes that but I got lost in confusing code :-)

                              Hi Stefan,

                              You're a coder, so you can try this without me having to build it for
                              you... :)

                              Please try inlining "private class Renderer" in GMGenSystem.java...
                              Eliminate the fact that it is a separate thread... put the
                              GMGenSystem.this.initialize() call directly into the GMGenSystem
                              constructor and let us know if that eliminates the problem...

                              Thanks.

                              TP.
                            • James Dempsey
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 12, 2007

                                On 12/06/2007 11:52 AM Tom Parker wrote
                                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Radermacher <radermacher@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >> Actually I've been seeing that error on and off for quite some time,
                                >> long before switching to Java 1.6. I can't ruel out that I've had that
                                >> on an older system with an Athlon XP. I tried once to find out what
                                >> causes that but I got lost in confusing code :-)
                                >>

                                > Hi Stefan,
                                >
                                > You're a coder, so you can try this without me having to build it for
                                > you... :)
                                >
                                > Please try inlining "private class Renderer" in GMGenSystem.java...
                                > Eliminate the fact that it is a separate thread... put the
                                > GMGenSystem.this.initialize() call directly into the GMGenSystem
                                > constructor and let us know if that eliminates the problem...

                                I've been seeing this also and your suggestion got me looking :) This
                                code wasn't being fired until GMGen was launched. It does need fixing
                                though. What I did find though was that there is swing code in
                                MainSource that is running in a non Swing thread. I've got a fix I am
                                just testing and then I will check in the fix to 5.12 and the trunk.
                                I've created a bug to go with it 1735649 - NPE on program load

                                James Dempsey
                                PCGen Code SB
                              • Stefan Radermacher
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 12, 2007
                                  Tom Parker wrote:

                                  > Please try inlining "private class Renderer" in GMGenSystem.java...
                                  > Eliminate the fact that it is a separate thread... put the
                                  > GMGenSystem.this.initialize() call directly into the GMGenSystem
                                  > constructor and let us know if that eliminates the problem...

                                  I'll try and check this out tonight.

                                  Stefan.
                                • Stefan Radermacher
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 13, 2007
                                    Stefan Radermacher wrote:

                                    > I'll try and check this out tonight.

                                    Well, as James has already found and fixed the problem, there was
                                    nothing more for me to do. Thanks, James!

                                    Stefan.