Re: [pcgen] Closed Content discussion - was Re: [Moderator] Runestaff implementa

  • Brad Stiles
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2007
      > Please don't see this as not being able to ask questions. We
      > definitely want to help individuals out! At the moment it's just that
      > we need the questions asked without referencing any Closed Content names.

      > PS: The BoD is taking a very close look at this issue again, more on
      > that shortly.

      If you're considering loosening that policy, I'd like to suggest that you not, for a couple of reasons. While I personally think that *asking* questions, if not answering them, using the actual names of items falls well into the realm of Fair Use, I'm quite unready to commit resources to defending that position in any legal challenge that might arise as the result of some poor sod who just wants help asking the "wrong" question. Reason number 1 is that I doubt anybody else is either, and I don't want to see anybody get fvcked by some lawyer somewhere, nor do I want to see PCGen closed down.

      Reason number 2 is that it appears that the BoD's policy in this regard, along with that of asking permission where none is actually needed, has apparently fostered considerable goodwill among publishers, including, to some extent anyway, WotC. Goodwill is good, it keeps things flowing. Reducing that goodwill would likely only have a detrimental effect.

      Brad