Re: Incorrect Carried Weight Calculation?

  • Martijn Verburg
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
      Might be worth trying on 5.12.0 RC2, see if there is a difference

      > Hmmm...My version of PCGen (5.11.14) shows 66.61 lbs. See the
      > accompanying pdf file.
      >
      > I wonder why yours does it correctly and mine doesn't...
      >
      > Allen
      >
      > PS: I realized my 5% error figure was in error...sorry!
      >

      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Allen,
      > >
      > > Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
      > > miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is
      > shown
      > > in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
      > > what PCGen calculates.
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > James.

    • Frugal
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
        On Thu, May 31, 2007 9:35 pm, allencohn wrote:
        > Thanks for your response.
        >
        > What I did is go to the preview page and add up all the weights
        > listed as carried or equipped. That total didn't match the total
        > calculated on the preview page.

        Most of the output sheets (and I believe the preview tab) do not include
        the coins you are carrying in teh equipment section, instead they included
        them in a separate money table below. However at the bottom of the
        equipment table will be the total carried weight even though some items
        (such as coins) are not shown in the equipment table.

        So if you have 250 coins in total, then they will total up to 5lb in
        weight which may be where your missing weight is coming from.

        --
        regards,
        Frugal
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
          Hi Allen,

          You are right - I didn't look closely enough and my version is also
          saying 66.61 lbs. However when I looked at the character's equipping tab
          I traced the other 0.6lbs. It comes from the equipped coins :) These
          aren't show in the inventory list unless they are listed as the contents
          of a container. Instead they are shown in the money section.

          Cheers,
          James.

          On 1/06/2007 4:54 PM allencohn wrote
          > Hmmm...My version of PCGen (5.11.14) shows 66.61 lbs. See the
          > accompanying pdf file.
          >
          > I wonder why yours does it correctly and mine doesn't...
          >
          > Allen
          >
          > PS: I realized my 5% error figure was in error...sorry!
          >

          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Hi Allen,
          >>
          >> Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
          >> miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is
          >>
          > shown
          >
          >> in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
          >> what PCGen calculates.
          >>
          >> Cheers,
          >> James.
        • allencohn
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
            Ah...mystery solved.

            Thanks everyone!

            Allen

            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
              Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
              note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this confusion in
              the future?

              OS monkeys, any thoughts on this?

              allencohn wrote:
              > Ah...mystery solved.
              >
              > Thanks everyone!
              >
              > Allen

              >> Hi Allen,
              >>
              >> You are right - I didn't look closely enough and my version is also
              >> saying 66.61 lbs. However when I looked at the character's
              >>
              > equipping tab
              >
              >> I traced the other 0.6lbs. It comes from the equipped coins :)
              >>
              > These
              >
              >> aren't show in the inventory list unless they are listed as the
              >>
              > contents
              >
              >> of a container. Instead they are shown in the money section.
              >>
              >> Cheers,
              >> James.

            • Martijn Verburg
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                Tracker it, it's a good idea

                Karianna <yes I was/am an OS monkey ;p>

                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                  [ 1729588 ] Add weight under coins section and note

                  http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1729588&group_id=25576&atid=748297

                  Martijn Verburg wrote:
                  > Tracker it, it's a good idea
                  >
                  > Karianna <yes I was/am an OS monkey ;p>
                  >

                  >> Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                  >> note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this confusion in
                  >> the future?
                  >>
                  >> OS monkeys, any thoughts on this?
                  >>
                  >> allencohn wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> Ah...mystery solved.
                  >>>
                  >>> Thanks everyone!
                  >>>
                  >>> Allen

                  >>> equipping tab

                  >>> These

                  >>> contents

                  >>> PCGen's Wiki: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Welcome
                  >>> PCGen's Roadmap: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Roadmap
                  >>> PCGen's Online Docs:

                  >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Frugal
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                    On Fri, June 1, 2007 4:57 pm, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                    > Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                    > note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this confusion in
                    > the future?

                    Do you mean: In the Equipment table have an entry for "Money 234gp 0.6lbs"

                    Or do you mean: In the Money table have the total weight for money along
                    with a note saying that the sum of the weights in the equipment table,
                    plus the weight of the coins in this table will be the total weight shown?

                    --
                    regards,
                    Frugal
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                      Which would be easier to code? Which lends itself to more understanding?

                      I suppose #1 is a better idea (KISS method), though #2 was the original
                      idea.

                      -Andrew

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 3, 2007
                        I'd go with #1 personally, tracker updated - K

                        > Which would be easier to code? Which lends itself to more
                        > understanding?
                        >
                        > I suppose #1 is a better idea (KISS method), though #2 was the
                        > original idea.
                        >
                        > -Andrew
                        >
                        > Frugal wrote:
                        > > On Fri, June 1, 2007 4:57 pm, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                        > >
                        > >> Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                        > >> note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this
                        confusion in
                        > >> the future?
                        > >>

                        > > Do you mean: In the Equipment table have an entry for "Money 234gp
                        0.6lbs"

                        > > Or do you mean: In the Money table have the total weight for money
                        along
                        > > with a note saying that the sum of the weights in the equipment table,
                        > > plus the weight of the coins in this table will be the total
                        weight shown?

                      • Tir Gwaith
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 3, 2007
                          I was just thinking about this for maintaining my group's characters.

                          We tend to use Bags of Holding, etc. when carrying loot. It would be
                          nice if the wt for coins were listed in the listing for each
                          container, so that one would know how much is ignored for wt
                          calculations. Otherwise the numbers will look wrong in that case.
                          Unless someone has a better solution.

                          PCGen LST Chimp
                        • ovka
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 3, 2007
                            > I was just thinking about this for maintaining my group's characters.
                            >
                            > We tend to use Bags of Holding, etc. when carrying loot. It would be
                            > nice if the wt for coins were listed in the listing for each
                            > container, so that one would know how much is ignored for wt
                            > calculations. Otherwise the numbers will look wrong in that case.
                            > Unless someone has a better solution.

                            I think most of the OS include coins in the weight of containers.

                            Cheers,

                            Sir George Anonymous