Re: Incorrect Carried Weight Calculation?

  • allencohn
    Message 1 of 24 , May 31 11:54 PM
      Hmmm...My version of PCGen (5.11.14) shows 66.61 lbs. See the
      accompanying pdf file.

      I wonder why yours does it correctly and mine doesn't...

      Allen

      PS: I realized my 5% error figure was in error...sorry!

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:

      > Hi Allen,
      >
      > Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
      > miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is
      shown
      > in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
      > what PCGen calculates.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > James.

    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
        Might be worth trying on 5.12.0 RC2, see if there is a difference

        > Hmmm...My version of PCGen (5.11.14) shows 66.61 lbs. See the
        > accompanying pdf file.
        >
        > I wonder why yours does it correctly and mine doesn't...
        >
        > Allen
        >
        > PS: I realized my 5% error figure was in error...sorry!
        >

        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Allen,
        > >
        > > Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
        > > miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is
        > shown
        > > in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
        > > what PCGen calculates.
        > >
        > > Cheers,
        > > James.

      • Frugal
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
          On Thu, May 31, 2007 9:35 pm, allencohn wrote:
          > Thanks for your response.
          >
          > What I did is go to the preview page and add up all the weights
          > listed as carried or equipped. That total didn't match the total
          > calculated on the preview page.

          Most of the output sheets (and I believe the preview tab) do not include
          the coins you are carrying in teh equipment section, instead they included
          them in a separate money table below. However at the bottom of the
          equipment table will be the total carried weight even though some items
          (such as coins) are not shown in the equipment table.

          So if you have 250 coins in total, then they will total up to 5lb in
          weight which may be where your missing weight is coming from.

          --
          regards,
          Frugal
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
            Hi Allen,

            You are right - I didn't look closely enough and my version is also
            saying 66.61 lbs. However when I looked at the character's equipping tab
            I traced the other 0.6lbs. It comes from the equipped coins :) These
            aren't show in the inventory list unless they are listed as the contents
            of a container. Instead they are shown in the money section.

            Cheers,
            James.

            On 1/06/2007 4:54 PM allencohn wrote
            > Hmmm...My version of PCGen (5.11.14) shows 66.61 lbs. See the
            > accompanying pdf file.
            >
            > I wonder why yours does it correctly and mine doesn't...
            >
            > Allen
            >
            > PS: I realized my 5% error figure was in error...sorry!
            >

            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Hi Allen,
            >>
            >> Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
            >> miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is
            >>
            > shown
            >
            >> in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
            >> what PCGen calculates.
            >>
            >> Cheers,
            >> James.
          • allencohn
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
              Ah...mystery solved.

              Thanks everyone!

              Allen

              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this confusion in
                the future?

                OS monkeys, any thoughts on this?

                allencohn wrote:
                > Ah...mystery solved.
                >
                > Thanks everyone!
                >
                > Allen

                >> Hi Allen,
                >>
                >> You are right - I didn't look closely enough and my version is also
                >> saying 66.61 lbs. However when I looked at the character's
                >>
                > equipping tab
                >
                >> I traced the other 0.6lbs. It comes from the equipped coins :)
                >>
                > These
                >
                >> aren't show in the inventory list unless they are listed as the
                >>
                > contents
                >
                >> of a container. Instead they are shown in the money section.
                >>
                >> Cheers,
                >> James.

              • Martijn Verburg
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                  Tracker it, it's a good idea

                  Karianna <yes I was/am an OS monkey ;p>

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                    [ 1729588 ] Add weight under coins section and note

                    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1729588&group_id=25576&atid=748297

                    Martijn Verburg wrote:
                    > Tracker it, it's a good idea
                    >
                    > Karianna <yes I was/am an OS monkey ;p>
                    >

                    >> Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                    >> note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this confusion in
                    >> the future?
                    >>
                    >> OS monkeys, any thoughts on this?
                    >>
                    >> allencohn wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> Ah...mystery solved.
                    >>>
                    >>> Thanks everyone!
                    >>>
                    >>> Allen

                    >>> equipping tab

                    >>> These

                    >>> contents

                    >>> PCGen's Wiki: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Welcome
                    >>> PCGen's Roadmap: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Roadmap
                    >>> PCGen's Online Docs:

                    >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Frugal
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                      On Fri, June 1, 2007 4:57 pm, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                      > Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                      > note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this confusion in
                      > the future?

                      Do you mean: In the Equipment table have an entry for "Money 234gp 0.6lbs"

                      Or do you mean: In the Money table have the total weight for money along
                      with a note saying that the sum of the weights in the equipment table,
                      plus the weight of the coins in this table will be the total weight shown?

                      --
                      regards,
                      Frugal
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                        Which would be easier to code? Which lends itself to more understanding?

                        I suppose #1 is a better idea (KISS method), though #2 was the original
                        idea.

                        -Andrew

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 3, 2007
                          I'd go with #1 personally, tracker updated - K

                          > Which would be easier to code? Which lends itself to more
                          > understanding?
                          >
                          > I suppose #1 is a better idea (KISS method), though #2 was the
                          > original idea.
                          >
                          > -Andrew
                          >
                          > Frugal wrote:
                          > > On Fri, June 1, 2007 4:57 pm, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                          > >
                          > >> Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                          > >> note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this
                          confusion in
                          > >> the future?
                          > >>

                          > > Do you mean: In the Equipment table have an entry for "Money 234gp
                          0.6lbs"

                          > > Or do you mean: In the Money table have the total weight for money
                          along
                          > > with a note saying that the sum of the weights in the equipment table,
                          > > plus the weight of the coins in this table will be the total
                          weight shown?

                        • Tir Gwaith
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 3, 2007
                            I was just thinking about this for maintaining my group's characters.

                            We tend to use Bags of Holding, etc. when carrying loot. It would be
                            nice if the wt for coins were listed in the listing for each
                            container, so that one would know how much is ignored for wt
                            calculations. Otherwise the numbers will look wrong in that case.
                            Unless someone has a better solution.

                            PCGen LST Chimp
                          • ovka
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 3, 2007
                              > I was just thinking about this for maintaining my group's characters.
                              >
                              > We tend to use Bags of Holding, etc. when carrying loot. It would be
                              > nice if the wt for coins were listed in the listing for each
                              > container, so that one would know how much is ignored for wt
                              > calculations. Otherwise the numbers will look wrong in that case.
                              > Unless someone has a better solution.

                              I think most of the OS include coins in the weight of containers.

                              Cheers,

                              Sir George Anonymous