Re: Incorrect Carried Weight Calculation?

  • allencohn
    Message 1 of 24 , May 31 10:43 PM
      I hope I did it right...see Luke.pcg. I also loaded Luke 070531.pdf
      in case there are some problems with the pcg file.

      Thanks for your assistance.

      Allen

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:

      > Hi Allen,
      >
      > On 01/06/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
      > > Are you sure it's not a bug? 3.4 out of 70 is nearly a 5%
      > > error...that seems an awful lot for a binary to decimal conversion
      > > issue...
      > >
      > > And if it isn't a bug, perhaps a different approach should be
      taken
      > > toward the summation... certainly computers are capable of much
      > > greater precision without much difficulty.
      >

      > Could you upload your character to the "Needs help with" section of
      > the list please? If it relies on closed content items, just a
      > character sheet with the equipment listed will be fine. We can then
      > look at what is being discussed and make an assessment.
      >
      > --
      > Cheers,
      > James Dempsey
      > PCGen Code SB

    • James Dempsey
      Message 2 of 24 , May 31 11:33 PM
        Hi Allen,

        Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
        miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is shown
        in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
        what PCGen calculates.

        Cheers,
        James.

        On 01/06/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
        > I hope I did it right...see Luke.pcg. I also loaded Luke 070531.pdf
        > in case there are some problems with the pcg file.
        >
        > Thanks for your assistance.
        >
        > Allen
        >
        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Allen,
        > >
        > > On 01/06/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
        > > > Are you sure it's not a bug? 3.4 out of 70 is nearly a 5%
        > > > error...that seems an awful lot for a binary to decimal conversion
        > > > issue...
        > > >
        > > > And if it isn't a bug, perhaps a different approach should be
        > taken
        > > > toward the summation... certainly computers are capable of much
        > > > greater precision without much difficulty.
        > >

        > > Could you upload your character to the "Needs help with" section of
        > > the list please? If it relies on closed content items, just a
        > > character sheet with the equipment listed will be fine. We can then
        > > look at what is being discussed and make an assessment.
        > >
        > > --
        > > Cheers,
        > > James Dempsey
        > > PCGen Code SB
      • allencohn
        Message 3 of 24 , May 31 11:54 PM
          Hmmm...My version of PCGen (5.11.14) shows 66.61 lbs. See the
          accompanying pdf file.

          I wonder why yours does it correctly and mine doesn't...

          Allen

          PS: I realized my 5% error figure was in error...sorry!

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:

          > Hi Allen,
          >
          > Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
          > miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is
          shown
          > in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
          > what PCGen calculates.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > James.

        • Martijn Verburg
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
            Might be worth trying on 5.12.0 RC2, see if there is a difference

            > Hmmm...My version of PCGen (5.11.14) shows 66.61 lbs. See the
            > accompanying pdf file.
            >
            > I wonder why yours does it correctly and mine doesn't...
            >
            > Allen
            >
            > PS: I realized my 5% error figure was in error...sorry!
            >

            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Allen,
            > >
            > > Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
            > > miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is
            > shown
            > > in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
            > > what PCGen calculates.
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > > James.

          • Frugal
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
              On Thu, May 31, 2007 9:35 pm, allencohn wrote:
              > Thanks for your response.
              >
              > What I did is go to the preview page and add up all the weights
              > listed as carried or equipped. That total didn't match the total
              > calculated on the preview page.

              Most of the output sheets (and I believe the preview tab) do not include
              the coins you are carrying in teh equipment section, instead they included
              them in a separate money table below. However at the bottom of the
              equipment table will be the total carried weight even though some items
              (such as coins) are not shown in the equipment table.

              So if you have 250 coins in total, then they will total up to 5lb in
              weight which may be where your missing weight is coming from.

              --
              regards,
              Frugal
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                Hi Allen,

                You are right - I didn't look closely enough and my version is also
                saying 66.61 lbs. However when I looked at the character's equipping tab
                I traced the other 0.6lbs. It comes from the equipped coins :) These
                aren't show in the inventory list unless they are listed as the contents
                of a container. Instead they are shown in the money section.

                Cheers,
                James.

                On 1/06/2007 4:54 PM allencohn wrote
                > Hmmm...My version of PCGen (5.11.14) shows 66.61 lbs. See the
                > accompanying pdf file.
                >
                > I wonder why yours does it correctly and mine doesn't...
                >
                > Allen
                >
                > PS: I realized my 5% error figure was in error...sorry!
                >

                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Hi Allen,
                >>
                >> Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
                >> miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is
                >>
                > shown
                >
                >> in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
                >> what PCGen calculates.
                >>
                >> Cheers,
                >> James.
              • allencohn
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                  Ah...mystery solved.

                  Thanks everyone!

                  Allen

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                    Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                    note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this confusion in
                    the future?

                    OS monkeys, any thoughts on this?

                    allencohn wrote:
                    > Ah...mystery solved.
                    >
                    > Thanks everyone!
                    >
                    > Allen

                    >> Hi Allen,
                    >>
                    >> You are right - I didn't look closely enough and my version is also
                    >> saying 66.61 lbs. However when I looked at the character's
                    >>
                    > equipping tab
                    >
                    >> I traced the other 0.6lbs. It comes from the equipped coins :)
                    >>
                    > These
                    >
                    >> aren't show in the inventory list unless they are listed as the
                    >>
                    > contents
                    >
                    >> of a container. Instead they are shown in the money section.
                    >>
                    >> Cheers,
                    >> James.

                  • Martijn Verburg
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                      Tracker it, it's a good idea

                      Karianna <yes I was/am an OS monkey ;p>

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                        [ 1729588 ] Add weight under coins section and note

                        http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1729588&group_id=25576&atid=748297

                        Martijn Verburg wrote:
                        > Tracker it, it's a good idea
                        >
                        > Karianna <yes I was/am an OS monkey ;p>
                        >

                        >> Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                        >> note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this confusion in
                        >> the future?
                        >>
                        >> OS monkeys, any thoughts on this?
                        >>
                        >> allencohn wrote:
                        >>
                        >>> Ah...mystery solved.
                        >>>
                        >>> Thanks everyone!
                        >>>
                        >>> Allen

                        >>> equipping tab

                        >>> These

                        >>> contents

                        >>> PCGen's Wiki: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Welcome
                        >>> PCGen's Roadmap: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Roadmap
                        >>> PCGen's Online Docs:

                        >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Frugal
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                          On Fri, June 1, 2007 4:57 pm, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                          > Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                          > note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this confusion in
                          > the future?

                          Do you mean: In the Equipment table have an entry for "Money 234gp 0.6lbs"

                          Or do you mean: In the Money table have the total weight for money along
                          with a note saying that the sum of the weights in the equipment table,
                          plus the weight of the coins in this table will be the total weight shown?

                          --
                          regards,
                          Frugal
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                            Which would be easier to code? Which lends itself to more understanding?

                            I suppose #1 is a better idea (KISS method), though #2 was the original
                            idea.

                            -Andrew

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 3, 2007
                              I'd go with #1 personally, tracker updated - K

                              > Which would be easier to code? Which lends itself to more
                              > understanding?
                              >
                              > I suppose #1 is a better idea (KISS method), though #2 was the
                              > original idea.
                              >
                              > -Andrew
                              >
                              > Frugal wrote:
                              > > On Fri, June 1, 2007 4:57 pm, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                              > >
                              > >> Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                              > >> note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this
                              confusion in
                              > >> the future?
                              > >>

                              > > Do you mean: In the Equipment table have an entry for "Money 234gp
                              0.6lbs"

                              > > Or do you mean: In the Money table have the total weight for money
                              along
                              > > with a note saying that the sum of the weights in the equipment table,
                              > > plus the weight of the coins in this table will be the total
                              weight shown?

                            • Tir Gwaith
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 3, 2007
                                I was just thinking about this for maintaining my group's characters.

                                We tend to use Bags of Holding, etc. when carrying loot. It would be
                                nice if the wt for coins were listed in the listing for each
                                container, so that one would know how much is ignored for wt
                                calculations. Otherwise the numbers will look wrong in that case.
                                Unless someone has a better solution.

                                PCGen LST Chimp
                              • ovka
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 3, 2007
                                  > I was just thinking about this for maintaining my group's characters.
                                  >
                                  > We tend to use Bags of Holding, etc. when carrying loot. It would be
                                  > nice if the wt for coins were listed in the listing for each
                                  > container, so that one would know how much is ignored for wt
                                  > calculations. Otherwise the numbers will look wrong in that case.
                                  > Unless someone has a better solution.

                                  I think most of the OS include coins in the weight of containers.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Sir George Anonymous