Re: Incorrect Carried Weight Calculation?

  • allencohn
    Message 1 of 24 , May 31, 2007
      Are you sure it's not a bug? 3.4 out of 70 is nearly a 5%
      error...that seems an awful lot for a binary to decimal conversion
      issue...

      And if it isn't a bug, perhaps a different approach should be taken
      toward the summation... certainly computers are capable of much
      greater precision without much difficulty.

      Allen

      > On 5/31/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
      > > OK. I was painfully careful and made sure I *only* included items
      > > listed as equipped or carried.
      > >
      > > My total: 70.01
      > > PCGen total: 66.61
      > > Difference: 3.4
      > >
      > > Perhaps PCGen isn't including the weight of my character's
      > > clothing...but that's 4, not 3.4.
      >
      > Correct, equipped clothing should not be included.
      >
      > > Has anyone else double checked their weight calculations? Is there
      > > something I should post somewhere so others can verify this?
      >
      > Yeah, and it gets off in a few places, from the decimal / binary
      > conversion. For me as DM, I don't worry about it. :P
      >
      > --
      > Tir Gwaith
      > PCGen LST Chimp

    • James Dempsey
      Message 2 of 24 , May 31, 2007
        Hi Allen,

        On 01/06/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
        > Are you sure it's not a bug? 3.4 out of 70 is nearly a 5%
        > error...that seems an awful lot for a binary to decimal conversion
        > issue...
        >
        > And if it isn't a bug, perhaps a different approach should be taken
        > toward the summation... certainly computers are capable of much
        > greater precision without much difficulty.

        Could you upload your character to the "Needs help with" section of
        the list please? If it relies on closed content items, just a
        character sheet with the equipment listed will be fine. We can then
        look at what is being discussed and make an assessment.

        James Dempsey
        PCGen Code SB
      • allencohn
        Message 3 of 24 , May 31, 2007
          I hope I did it right...see Luke.pcg. I also loaded Luke 070531.pdf
          in case there are some problems with the pcg file.

          Thanks for your assistance.

          Allen

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:

          > Hi Allen,
          >
          > On 01/06/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
          > > Are you sure it's not a bug? 3.4 out of 70 is nearly a 5%
          > > error...that seems an awful lot for a binary to decimal conversion
          > > issue...
          > >
          > > And if it isn't a bug, perhaps a different approach should be
          taken
          > > toward the summation... certainly computers are capable of much
          > > greater precision without much difficulty.
          >

          > Could you upload your character to the "Needs help with" section of
          > the list please? If it relies on closed content items, just a
          > character sheet with the equipment listed will be fine. We can then
          > look at what is being discussed and make an assessment.
          >
          > --
          > Cheers,
          > James Dempsey
          > PCGen Code SB

        • James Dempsey
          Message 4 of 24 , May 31, 2007
            Hi Allen,

            Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
            miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is shown
            in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
            what PCGen calculates.

            Cheers,
            James.

            On 01/06/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
            > I hope I did it right...see Luke.pcg. I also loaded Luke 070531.pdf
            > in case there are some problems with the pcg file.
            >
            > Thanks for your assistance.
            >
            > Allen
            >
            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Allen,
            > >
            > > On 01/06/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
            > > > Are you sure it's not a bug? 3.4 out of 70 is nearly a 5%
            > > > error...that seems an awful lot for a binary to decimal conversion
            > > > issue...
            > > >
            > > > And if it isn't a bug, perhaps a different approach should be
            > taken
            > > > toward the summation... certainly computers are capable of much
            > > > greater precision without much difficulty.
            > >

            > > Could you upload your character to the "Needs help with" section of
            > > the list please? If it relies on closed content items, just a
            > > character sheet with the equipment listed will be fine. We can then
            > > look at what is being discussed and make an assessment.
            > >
            > > --
            > > Cheers,
            > > James Dempsey
            > > PCGen Code SB
          • allencohn
            Message 5 of 24 , May 31, 2007
              Hmmm...My version of PCGen (5.11.14) shows 66.61 lbs. See the
              accompanying pdf file.

              I wonder why yours does it correctly and mine doesn't...

              Allen

              PS: I realized my 5% error figure was in error...sorry!

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:

              > Hi Allen,
              >
              > Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
              > miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is
              shown
              > in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
              > what PCGen calculates.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > James.

            • Martijn Verburg
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 1 1:15 AM
                Might be worth trying on 5.12.0 RC2, see if there is a difference

                > Hmmm...My version of PCGen (5.11.14) shows 66.61 lbs. See the
                > accompanying pdf file.
                >
                > I wonder why yours does it correctly and mine doesn't...
                >
                > Allen
                >
                > PS: I realized my 5% error figure was in error...sorry!
                >

                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Allen,
                > >
                > > Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
                > > miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is
                > shown
                > > in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
                > > what PCGen calculates.
                > >
                > > Cheers,
                > > James.

              • Frugal
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 1 2:34 AM
                  On Thu, May 31, 2007 9:35 pm, allencohn wrote:
                  > Thanks for your response.
                  >
                  > What I did is go to the preview page and add up all the weights
                  > listed as carried or equipped. That total didn't match the total
                  > calculated on the preview page.

                  Most of the output sheets (and I believe the preview tab) do not include
                  the coins you are carrying in teh equipment section, instead they included
                  them in a separate money table below. However at the bottom of the
                  equipment table will be the total carried weight even though some items
                  (such as coins) are not shown in the equipment table.

                  So if you have 250 coins in total, then they will total up to 5lb in
                  weight which may be where your missing weight is coming from.

                  --
                  regards,
                  Frugal
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 1 6:36 AM
                    Hi Allen,

                    You are right - I didn't look closely enough and my version is also
                    saying 66.61 lbs. However when I looked at the character's equipping tab
                    I traced the other 0.6lbs. It comes from the equipped coins :) These
                    aren't show in the inventory list unless they are listed as the contents
                    of a container. Instead they are shown in the money section.

                    Cheers,
                    James.

                    On 1/06/2007 4:54 PM allencohn wrote
                    > Hmmm...My version of PCGen (5.11.14) shows 66.61 lbs. See the
                    > accompanying pdf file.
                    >
                    > I wonder why yours does it correctly and mine doesn't...
                    >
                    > Allen
                    >
                    > PS: I realized my 5% error figure was in error...sorry!
                    >

                    > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Hi Allen,
                    >>
                    >> Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
                    >> miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is
                    >>
                    > shown
                    >
                    >> in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
                    >> what PCGen calculates.
                    >>
                    >> Cheers,
                    >> James.
                  • allencohn
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 1 8:38 AM
                      Ah...mystery solved.

                      Thanks everyone!

                      Allen

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 1 8:57 AM
                        Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                        note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this confusion in
                        the future?

                        OS monkeys, any thoughts on this?

                        allencohn wrote:
                        > Ah...mystery solved.
                        >
                        > Thanks everyone!
                        >
                        > Allen

                        >> Hi Allen,
                        >>
                        >> You are right - I didn't look closely enough and my version is also
                        >> saying 66.61 lbs. However when I looked at the character's
                        >>
                        > equipping tab
                        >
                        >> I traced the other 0.6lbs. It comes from the equipped coins :)
                        >>
                        > These
                        >
                        >> aren't show in the inventory list unless they are listed as the
                        >>
                        > contents
                        >
                        >> of a container. Instead they are shown in the money section.
                        >>
                        >> Cheers,
                        >> James.

                      • Martijn Verburg
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 1 10:00 AM
                          Tracker it, it's a good idea

                          Karianna <yes I was/am an OS monkey ;p>

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 1 10:30 AM
                            [ 1729588 ] Add weight under coins section and note

                            http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1729588&group_id=25576&atid=748297

                            Martijn Verburg wrote:
                            > Tracker it, it's a good idea
                            >
                            > Karianna <yes I was/am an OS monkey ;p>
                            >

                            >> Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                            >> note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this confusion in
                            >> the future?
                            >>
                            >> OS monkeys, any thoughts on this?
                            >>
                            >> allencohn wrote:
                            >>
                            >>> Ah...mystery solved.
                            >>>
                            >>> Thanks everyone!
                            >>>
                            >>> Allen

                            >>> equipping tab

                            >>> These

                            >>> contents

                            >>> PCGen's Wiki: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Welcome
                            >>> PCGen's Roadmap: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Roadmap
                            >>> PCGen's Online Docs:

                            >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Frugal
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 1 11:40 AM
                              On Fri, June 1, 2007 4:57 pm, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                              > Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                              > note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this confusion in
                              > the future?

                              Do you mean: In the Equipment table have an entry for "Money 234gp 0.6lbs"

                              Or do you mean: In the Money table have the total weight for money along
                              with a note saying that the sum of the weights in the equipment table,
                              plus the weight of the coins in this table will be the total weight shown?

                              --
                              regards,
                              Frugal
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 1 4:47 PM
                                Which would be easier to code? Which lends itself to more understanding?

                                I suppose #1 is a better idea (KISS method), though #2 was the original
                                idea.

                                -Andrew

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 3 3:56 AM
                                  I'd go with #1 personally, tracker updated - K

                                  > Which would be easier to code? Which lends itself to more
                                  > understanding?
                                  >
                                  > I suppose #1 is a better idea (KISS method), though #2 was the
                                  > original idea.
                                  >
                                  > -Andrew
                                  >
                                  > Frugal wrote:
                                  > > On Fri, June 1, 2007 4:57 pm, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > >> Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                                  > >> note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this
                                  confusion in
                                  > >> the future?
                                  > >>

                                  > > Do you mean: In the Equipment table have an entry for "Money 234gp
                                  0.6lbs"

                                  > > Or do you mean: In the Money table have the total weight for money
                                  along
                                  > > with a note saying that the sum of the weights in the equipment table,
                                  > > plus the weight of the coins in this table will be the total
                                  weight shown?

                                • Tir Gwaith
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 3 4:05 AM
                                    I was just thinking about this for maintaining my group's characters.

                                    We tend to use Bags of Holding, etc. when carrying loot. It would be
                                    nice if the wt for coins were listed in the listing for each
                                    container, so that one would know how much is ignored for wt
                                    calculations. Otherwise the numbers will look wrong in that case.
                                    Unless someone has a better solution.

                                    PCGen LST Chimp
                                  • ovka
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 3 5:54 PM
                                      > I was just thinking about this for maintaining my group's characters.
                                      >
                                      > We tend to use Bags of Holding, etc. when carrying loot. It would be
                                      > nice if the wt for coins were listed in the listing for each
                                      > container, so that one would know how much is ignored for wt
                                      > calculations. Otherwise the numbers will look wrong in that case.
                                      > Unless someone has a better solution.

                                      I think most of the OS include coins in the weight of containers.

                                      Cheers,

                                      Sir George Anonymous