Re: Incorrect Carried Weight Calculation?

  • allencohn
    Message 1 of 24 , May 31, 2007
      OK. I was painfully careful and made sure I *only* included items
      listed as equipped or carried.

      My total: 70.01
      PCGen total: 66.61
      Difference: 3.4

      Perhaps PCGen isn't including the weight of my character's
      clothing...but that's 4, not 3.4.

      Hmmm...

      Has anyone else double checked their weight calculations? Is there
      something I should post somewhere so others can verify this?

      Allen

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Per Christian Henden <perchrh-
      pcgen@...> wrote:

      > On Thursday 31 May 2007 22:35:00 allencohn wrote:
      > > Thanks for your response.
      > >
      > > What I did is go to the preview page and add up all the weights
      > > listed as carried or equipped. That total didn't match the total
      > > calculated on the preview page.
      > >
      > Okay, is all your equipment equipped or carried? PCGen allows you
      to add
      > equipment that is not carried, e.g. your Alchemist’s Lab, and
      that will not
      > count towards the total weight that decides the load.
      >
      > PER

    • allencohn
      Message 2 of 24 , May 31, 2007
        Are you sure it's not a bug? 3.4 out of 70 is nearly a 5%
        error...that seems an awful lot for a binary to decimal conversion
        issue...

        And if it isn't a bug, perhaps a different approach should be taken
        toward the summation... certainly computers are capable of much
        greater precision without much difficulty.

        Allen

        > On 5/31/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
        > > OK. I was painfully careful and made sure I *only* included items
        > > listed as equipped or carried.
        > >
        > > My total: 70.01
        > > PCGen total: 66.61
        > > Difference: 3.4
        > >
        > > Perhaps PCGen isn't including the weight of my character's
        > > clothing...but that's 4, not 3.4.
        >
        > Correct, equipped clothing should not be included.
        >
        > > Has anyone else double checked their weight calculations? Is there
        > > something I should post somewhere so others can verify this?
        >
        > Yeah, and it gets off in a few places, from the decimal / binary
        > conversion. For me as DM, I don't worry about it. :P
        >
        > --
        > Tir Gwaith
        > PCGen LST Chimp

      • James Dempsey
        Message 3 of 24 , May 31, 2007
          Hi Allen,

          On 01/06/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
          > Are you sure it's not a bug? 3.4 out of 70 is nearly a 5%
          > error...that seems an awful lot for a binary to decimal conversion
          > issue...
          >
          > And if it isn't a bug, perhaps a different approach should be taken
          > toward the summation... certainly computers are capable of much
          > greater precision without much difficulty.

          Could you upload your character to the "Needs help with" section of
          the list please? If it relies on closed content items, just a
          character sheet with the equipment listed will be fine. We can then
          look at what is being discussed and make an assessment.

          James Dempsey
          PCGen Code SB
        • allencohn
          Message 4 of 24 , May 31, 2007
            I hope I did it right...see Luke.pcg. I also loaded Luke 070531.pdf
            in case there are some problems with the pcg file.

            Thanks for your assistance.

            Allen

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:

            > Hi Allen,
            >
            > On 01/06/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
            > > Are you sure it's not a bug? 3.4 out of 70 is nearly a 5%
            > > error...that seems an awful lot for a binary to decimal conversion
            > > issue...
            > >
            > > And if it isn't a bug, perhaps a different approach should be
            taken
            > > toward the summation... certainly computers are capable of much
            > > greater precision without much difficulty.
            >

            > Could you upload your character to the "Needs help with" section of
            > the list please? If it relies on closed content items, just a
            > character sheet with the equipment listed will be fine. We can then
            > look at what is being discussed and make an assessment.
            >
            > --
            > Cheers,
            > James Dempsey
            > PCGen Code SB

          • James Dempsey
            Message 5 of 24 , May 31, 2007
              Hi Allen,

              Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
              miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is shown
              in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
              what PCGen calculates.

              Cheers,
              James.

              On 01/06/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
              > I hope I did it right...see Luke.pcg. I also loaded Luke 070531.pdf
              > in case there are some problems with the pcg file.
              >
              > Thanks for your assistance.
              >
              > Allen
              >
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Allen,
              > >
              > > On 01/06/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
              > > > Are you sure it's not a bug? 3.4 out of 70 is nearly a 5%
              > > > error...that seems an awful lot for a binary to decimal conversion
              > > > issue...
              > > >
              > > > And if it isn't a bug, perhaps a different approach should be
              > taken
              > > > toward the summation... certainly computers are capable of much
              > > > greater precision without much difficulty.
              > >

              > > Could you upload your character to the "Needs help with" section of
              > > the list please? If it relies on closed content items, just a
              > > character sheet with the equipment listed will be fine. We can then
              > > look at what is being discussed and make an assessment.
              > >
              > > --
              > > Cheers,
              > > James Dempsey
              > > PCGen Code SB
            • allencohn
              Message 6 of 24 , May 31, 2007
                Hmmm...My version of PCGen (5.11.14) shows 66.61 lbs. See the
                accompanying pdf file.

                I wonder why yours does it correctly and mine doesn't...

                Allen

                PS: I realized my 5% error figure was in error...sorry!

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:

                > Hi Allen,
                >
                > Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
                > miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is
                shown
                > in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
                > what PCGen calculates.
                >
                > Cheers,
                > James.

              • Martijn Verburg
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                  Might be worth trying on 5.12.0 RC2, see if there is a difference

                  > Hmmm...My version of PCGen (5.11.14) shows 66.61 lbs. See the
                  > accompanying pdf file.
                  >
                  > I wonder why yours does it correctly and mine doesn't...
                  >
                  > Allen
                  >
                  > PS: I realized my 5% error figure was in error...sorry!
                  >

                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Allen,
                  > >
                  > > Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
                  > > miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is
                  > shown
                  > > in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
                  > > what PCGen calculates.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers,
                  > > James.

                • Frugal
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                    On Thu, May 31, 2007 9:35 pm, allencohn wrote:
                    > Thanks for your response.
                    >
                    > What I did is go to the preview page and add up all the weights
                    > listed as carried or equipped. That total didn't match the total
                    > calculated on the preview page.

                    Most of the output sheets (and I believe the preview tab) do not include
                    the coins you are carrying in teh equipment section, instead they included
                    them in a separate money table below. However at the bottom of the
                    equipment table will be the total carried weight even though some items
                    (such as coins) are not shown in the equipment table.

                    So if you have 250 coins in total, then they will total up to 5lb in
                    weight which may be where your missing weight is coming from.

                    --
                    regards,
                    Frugal
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                      Hi Allen,

                      You are right - I didn't look closely enough and my version is also
                      saying 66.61 lbs. However when I looked at the character's equipping tab
                      I traced the other 0.6lbs. It comes from the equipped coins :) These
                      aren't show in the inventory list unless they are listed as the contents
                      of a container. Instead they are shown in the money section.

                      Cheers,
                      James.

                      On 1/06/2007 4:54 PM allencohn wrote
                      > Hmmm...My version of PCGen (5.11.14) shows 66.61 lbs. See the
                      > accompanying pdf file.
                      >
                      > I wonder why yours does it correctly and mine doesn't...
                      >
                      > Allen
                      >
                      > PS: I realized my 5% error figure was in error...sorry!
                      >

                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Hi Allen,
                      >>
                      >> Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
                      >> miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is
                      >>
                      > shown
                      >
                      >> in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
                      >> what PCGen calculates.
                      >>
                      >> Cheers,
                      >> James.
                    • allencohn
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                        Ah...mystery solved.

                        Thanks everyone!

                        Allen

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                          Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                          note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this confusion in
                          the future?

                          OS monkeys, any thoughts on this?

                          allencohn wrote:
                          > Ah...mystery solved.
                          >
                          > Thanks everyone!
                          >
                          > Allen

                          >> Hi Allen,
                          >>
                          >> You are right - I didn't look closely enough and my version is also
                          >> saying 66.61 lbs. However when I looked at the character's
                          >>
                          > equipping tab
                          >
                          >> I traced the other 0.6lbs. It comes from the equipped coins :)
                          >>
                          > These
                          >
                          >> aren't show in the inventory list unless they are listed as the
                          >>
                          > contents
                          >
                          >> of a container. Instead they are shown in the money section.
                          >>
                          >> Cheers,
                          >> James.

                        • Martijn Verburg
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                            Tracker it, it's a good idea

                            Karianna <yes I was/am an OS monkey ;p>

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                              [ 1729588 ] Add weight under coins section and note

                              http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1729588&group_id=25576&atid=748297

                              Martijn Verburg wrote:
                              > Tracker it, it's a good idea
                              >
                              > Karianna <yes I was/am an OS monkey ;p>
                              >

                              >> Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                              >> note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this confusion in
                              >> the future?
                              >>
                              >> OS monkeys, any thoughts on this?
                              >>
                              >> allencohn wrote:
                              >>
                              >>> Ah...mystery solved.
                              >>>
                              >>> Thanks everyone!
                              >>>
                              >>> Allen

                              >>> equipping tab

                              >>> These

                              >>> contents

                              >>> PCGen's Wiki: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Welcome
                              >>> PCGen's Roadmap: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Roadmap
                              >>> PCGen's Online Docs:

                              >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Frugal
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                                On Fri, June 1, 2007 4:57 pm, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                                > Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                                > note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this confusion in
                                > the future?

                                Do you mean: In the Equipment table have an entry for "Money 234gp 0.6lbs"

                                Or do you mean: In the Money table have the total weight for money along
                                with a note saying that the sum of the weights in the equipment table,
                                plus the weight of the coins in this table will be the total weight shown?

                                --
                                regards,
                                Frugal
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                                  Which would be easier to code? Which lends itself to more understanding?

                                  I suppose #1 is a better idea (KISS method), though #2 was the original
                                  idea.

                                  -Andrew

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 3, 2007
                                    I'd go with #1 personally, tracker updated - K

                                    > Which would be easier to code? Which lends itself to more
                                    > understanding?
                                    >
                                    > I suppose #1 is a better idea (KISS method), though #2 was the
                                    > original idea.
                                    >
                                    > -Andrew
                                    >
                                    > Frugal wrote:
                                    > > On Fri, June 1, 2007 4:57 pm, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > >> Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                                    > >> note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this
                                    confusion in
                                    > >> the future?
                                    > >>

                                    > > Do you mean: In the Equipment table have an entry for "Money 234gp
                                    0.6lbs"

                                    > > Or do you mean: In the Money table have the total weight for money
                                    along
                                    > > with a note saying that the sum of the weights in the equipment table,
                                    > > plus the weight of the coins in this table will be the total
                                    weight shown?

                                  • Tir Gwaith
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 3, 2007
                                      I was just thinking about this for maintaining my group's characters.

                                      We tend to use Bags of Holding, etc. when carrying loot. It would be
                                      nice if the wt for coins were listed in the listing for each
                                      container, so that one would know how much is ignored for wt
                                      calculations. Otherwise the numbers will look wrong in that case.
                                      Unless someone has a better solution.

                                      PCGen LST Chimp
                                    • ovka
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 3, 2007
                                        > I was just thinking about this for maintaining my group's characters.
                                        >
                                        > We tend to use Bags of Holding, etc. when carrying loot. It would be
                                        > nice if the wt for coins were listed in the listing for each
                                        > container, so that one would know how much is ignored for wt
                                        > calculations. Otherwise the numbers will look wrong in that case.
                                        > Unless someone has a better solution.

                                        I think most of the OS include coins in the weight of containers.

                                        Cheers,

                                        Sir George Anonymous