Re: Incorrect Carried Weight Calculation?

  • allencohn
    Message 1 of 24 , May 31, 2007
      Thanks for your response.

      What I did is go to the preview page and add up all the weights
      listed as carried or equipped. That total didn't match the total
      calculated on the preview page.

      Allen

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Per Christian Henden <perchrh-
      pcgen@...> wrote:
      > You have compare your calculation with PCGen's and found each item
      of your
      > inventory to weigh the same? If not, just select Preview and page 2
      to see a
      > list of your inventory, complete with weights. Use it to find the
      difference.

      > Two tips:
      >
      > Did you remember to adjust the weight of your items for PC size? If
      he's not
      > medium size the weight of some items, like armor, will change.
      >
      > There is a button for automatically resizing items toward the
      bottom right
      > corner of the inventory pane.
      >

      > Cheers,
      > PER

    • Per Christian Henden
      Message 2 of 24 , May 31, 2007
        On Thursday 31 May 2007 22:35:00 allencohn wrote:
        > Thanks for your response.
        >
        > What I did is go to the preview page and add up all the weights
        > listed as carried or equipped. That total didn't match the total
        > calculated on the preview page.

        Okay, is all your equipment equipped or carried? PCGen allows you to add
        equipment that is not carried, e.g. your Alchemist’s Lab, and that will not
        count towards the total weight that decides the load.

        PER
      • allencohn
        Message 3 of 24 , May 31, 2007
          OK. I was painfully careful and made sure I *only* included items
          listed as equipped or carried.

          My total: 70.01
          PCGen total: 66.61
          Difference: 3.4

          Perhaps PCGen isn't including the weight of my character's
          clothing...but that's 4, not 3.4.

          Hmmm...

          Has anyone else double checked their weight calculations? Is there
          something I should post somewhere so others can verify this?

          pcgen@...> wrote:

          > On Thursday 31 May 2007 22:35:00 allencohn wrote:
          > > Thanks for your response.
          > >
          > > What I did is go to the preview page and add up all the weights
          > > listed as carried or equipped. That total didn't match the total
          > > calculated on the preview page.
          > >
          > Okay, is all your equipment equipped or carried? PCGen allows you
          to add
          > equipment that is not carried, e.g. your Alchemist’s Lab, and
          that will not
          > count towards the total weight that decides the load.
          >
          > PER

        • Tir Gwaith
          Message 4 of 24 , May 31, 2007
            On 5/31/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
            > OK. I was painfully careful and made sure I *only* included items
            > listed as equipped or carried.
            >
            > My total: 70.01
            > PCGen total: 66.61
            > Difference: 3.4
            >
            > Perhaps PCGen isn't including the weight of my character's
            > clothing...but that's 4, not 3.4.

            Correct, equipped clothing should not be included.

            > Has anyone else double checked their weight calculations? Is there
            > something I should post somewhere so others can verify this?

            Yeah, and it gets off in a few places, from the decimal / binary
            conversion. For me as DM, I don't worry about it. :P

            PCGen LST Chimp
          • allencohn
            Message 5 of 24 , May 31, 2007

              pcgen@...> wrote:

              > On Thursday 31 May 2007 22:35:00 allencohn wrote:
              > > Thanks for your response.
              > >
              > > What I did is go to the preview page and add up all the weights
              > > listed as carried or equipped. That total didn't match the total
              > > calculated on the preview page.
              > >
              > Okay, is all your equipment equipped or carried? PCGen allows you
              to add
              > equipment that is not carried, e.g. your Alchemist’s Lab, and
              that will not
              > count towards the total weight that decides the load.
              >
              > PER

            • allencohn
              Message 6 of 24 , May 31, 2007
                Are you sure it's not a bug? 3.4 out of 70 is nearly a 5%
                error...that seems an awful lot for a binary to decimal conversion
                issue...

                And if it isn't a bug, perhaps a different approach should be taken
                toward the summation... certainly computers are capable of much
                greater precision without much difficulty.

                Allen

                > On 5/31/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
                > > OK. I was painfully careful and made sure I *only* included items
                > > listed as equipped or carried.
                > >
                > > My total: 70.01
                > > PCGen total: 66.61
                > > Difference: 3.4
                > >
                > > Perhaps PCGen isn't including the weight of my character's
                > > clothing...but that's 4, not 3.4.
                >
                > Correct, equipped clothing should not be included.
                >
                > > Has anyone else double checked their weight calculations? Is there
                > > something I should post somewhere so others can verify this?
                >
                > Yeah, and it gets off in a few places, from the decimal / binary
                > conversion. For me as DM, I don't worry about it. :P
                >
                > --
                > Tir Gwaith
                > PCGen LST Chimp

              • James Dempsey
                Message 7 of 24 , May 31, 2007
                  Hi Allen,

                  On 01/06/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
                  > Are you sure it's not a bug? 3.4 out of 70 is nearly a 5%
                  > error...that seems an awful lot for a binary to decimal conversion
                  > issue...
                  >
                  > And if it isn't a bug, perhaps a different approach should be taken
                  > toward the summation... certainly computers are capable of much
                  > greater precision without much difficulty.

                  Could you upload your character to the "Needs help with" section of
                  the list please? If it relies on closed content items, just a
                  character sheet with the equipment listed will be fine. We can then
                  look at what is being discussed and make an assessment.

                  James Dempsey
                  PCGen Code SB
                • allencohn
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 31, 2007
                    I hope I did it right...see Luke.pcg. I also loaded Luke 070531.pdf
                    in case there are some problems with the pcg file.

                    Thanks for your assistance.

                    Allen

                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Allen,
                    >
                    > On 01/06/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
                    > > Are you sure it's not a bug? 3.4 out of 70 is nearly a 5%
                    > > error...that seems an awful lot for a binary to decimal conversion
                    > > issue...
                    > >
                    > > And if it isn't a bug, perhaps a different approach should be
                    taken
                    > > toward the summation... certainly computers are capable of much
                    > > greater precision without much difficulty.
                    >

                    > Could you upload your character to the "Needs help with" section of
                    > the list please? If it relies on closed content items, just a
                    > character sheet with the equipment listed will be fine. We can then
                    > look at what is being discussed and make an assessment.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Cheers,
                    > James Dempsey
                    > PCGen Code SB

                  • James Dempsey
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 31, 2007
                      Hi Allen,

                      Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
                      miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is shown
                      in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
                      what PCGen calculates.

                      Cheers,
                      James.

                      On 01/06/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
                      > I hope I did it right...see Luke.pcg. I also loaded Luke 070531.pdf
                      > in case there are some problems with the pcg file.
                      >
                      > Thanks for your assistance.
                      >
                      > Allen
                      >
                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi Allen,
                      > >
                      > > On 01/06/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
                      > > > Are you sure it's not a bug? 3.4 out of 70 is nearly a 5%
                      > > > error...that seems an awful lot for a binary to decimal conversion
                      > > > issue...
                      > > >
                      > > > And if it isn't a bug, perhaps a different approach should be
                      > taken
                      > > > toward the summation... certainly computers are capable of much
                      > > > greater precision without much difficulty.
                      > >

                      > > Could you upload your character to the "Needs help with" section of
                      > > the list please? If it relies on closed content items, just a
                      > > character sheet with the equipment listed will be fine. We can then
                      > > look at what is being discussed and make an assessment.
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > > Cheers,
                      > > James Dempsey
                      > > PCGen Code SB
                    • allencohn
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 31, 2007
                        Hmmm...My version of PCGen (5.11.14) shows 66.61 lbs. See the
                        accompanying pdf file.

                        I wonder why yours does it correctly and mine doesn't...

                        Allen

                        PS: I realized my 5% error figure was in error...sorry!

                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Allen,
                        >
                        > Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
                        > miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is
                        shown
                        > in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
                        > what PCGen calculates.
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        > James.

                      • Martijn Verburg
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                          Might be worth trying on 5.12.0 RC2, see if there is a difference

                          > Hmmm...My version of PCGen (5.11.14) shows 66.61 lbs. See the
                          > accompanying pdf file.
                          >
                          > I wonder why yours does it correctly and mine doesn't...
                          >
                          > Allen
                          >
                          > PS: I realized my 5% error figure was in error...sorry!
                          >

                          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi Allen,
                          > >
                          > > Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
                          > > miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is
                          > shown
                          > > in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
                          > > what PCGen calculates.
                          > >
                          > > Cheers,
                          > > James.

                        • Frugal
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                            On Thu, May 31, 2007 9:35 pm, allencohn wrote:
                            > Thanks for your response.
                            >
                            > What I did is go to the preview page and add up all the weights
                            > listed as carried or equipped. That total didn't match the total
                            > calculated on the preview page.

                            Most of the output sheets (and I believe the preview tab) do not include
                            the coins you are carrying in teh equipment section, instead they included
                            them in a separate money table below. However at the bottom of the
                            equipment table will be the total carried weight even though some items
                            (such as coins) are not shown in the equipment table.

                            So if you have 250 coins in total, then they will total up to 5lb in
                            weight which may be where your missing weight is coming from.

                            --
                            regards,
                            Frugal
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                              Hi Allen,

                              You are right - I didn't look closely enough and my version is also
                              saying 66.61 lbs. However when I looked at the character's equipping tab
                              I traced the other 0.6lbs. It comes from the equipped coins :) These
                              aren't show in the inventory list unless they are listed as the contents
                              of a container. Instead they are shown in the money section.

                              Cheers,
                              James.

                              On 1/06/2007 4:54 PM allencohn wrote
                              > Hmmm...My version of PCGen (5.11.14) shows 66.61 lbs. See the
                              > accompanying pdf file.
                              >
                              > I wonder why yours does it correctly and mine doesn't...
                              >
                              > Allen
                              >
                              > PS: I realized my 5% error figure was in error...sorry!
                              >

                              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:
                              >
                              >> Hi Allen,
                              >>
                              >> Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
                              >> miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is
                              >>
                              > shown
                              >
                              >> in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
                              >> what PCGen calculates.
                              >>
                              >> Cheers,
                              >> James.
                            • allencohn
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                                Ah...mystery solved.

                                Thanks everyone!

                                Allen

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                                  Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                                  note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this confusion in
                                  the future?

                                  OS monkeys, any thoughts on this?

                                  allencohn wrote:
                                  > Ah...mystery solved.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks everyone!
                                  >
                                  > Allen

                                  >> Hi Allen,
                                  >>
                                  >> You are right - I didn't look closely enough and my version is also
                                  >> saying 66.61 lbs. However when I looked at the character's
                                  >>
                                  > equipping tab
                                  >
                                  >> I traced the other 0.6lbs. It comes from the equipped coins :)
                                  >>
                                  > These
                                  >
                                  >> aren't show in the inventory list unless they are listed as the
                                  >>
                                  > contents
                                  >
                                  >> of a container. Instead they are shown in the money section.
                                  >>
                                  >> Cheers,
                                  >> James.

                                • Martijn Verburg
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                                    Tracker it, it's a good idea

                                    Karianna <yes I was/am an OS monkey ;p>

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                                      [ 1729588 ] Add weight under coins section and note

                                      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1729588&group_id=25576&atid=748297

                                      Martijn Verburg wrote:
                                      > Tracker it, it's a good idea
                                      >
                                      > Karianna <yes I was/am an OS monkey ;p>
                                      >

                                      >> Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                                      >> note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this confusion in
                                      >> the future?
                                      >>
                                      >> OS monkeys, any thoughts on this?
                                      >>
                                      >> allencohn wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >>> Ah...mystery solved.
                                      >>>
                                      >>> Thanks everyone!
                                      >>>
                                      >>> Allen

                                      >>> equipping tab

                                      >>> These

                                      >>> contents

                                      >>> PCGen's Wiki: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Welcome
                                      >>> PCGen's Roadmap: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Roadmap
                                      >>> PCGen's Online Docs:

                                      >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • Frugal
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                                        On Fri, June 1, 2007 4:57 pm, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                                        > Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                                        > note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this confusion in
                                        > the future?

                                        Do you mean: In the Equipment table have an entry for "Money 234gp 0.6lbs"

                                        Or do you mean: In the Money table have the total weight for money along
                                        with a note saying that the sum of the weights in the equipment table,
                                        plus the weight of the coins in this table will be the total weight shown?

                                        --
                                        regards,
                                        Frugal
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                                          Which would be easier to code? Which lends itself to more understanding?

                                          I suppose #1 is a better idea (KISS method), though #2 was the original
                                          idea.

                                          -Andrew

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jun 3, 2007
                                            I'd go with #1 personally, tracker updated - K

                                            > Which would be easier to code? Which lends itself to more
                                            > understanding?
                                            >
                                            > I suppose #1 is a better idea (KISS method), though #2 was the
                                            > original idea.
                                            >
                                            > -Andrew
                                            >
                                            > Frugal wrote:
                                            > > On Fri, June 1, 2007 4:57 pm, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > >> Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                                            > >> note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this
                                            confusion in
                                            > >> the future?
                                            > >>

                                            > > Do you mean: In the Equipment table have an entry for "Money 234gp
                                            0.6lbs"

                                            > > Or do you mean: In the Money table have the total weight for money
                                            along
                                            > > with a note saying that the sum of the weights in the equipment table,
                                            > > plus the weight of the coins in this table will be the total
                                            weight shown?

                                          • Tir Gwaith
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jun 3, 2007
                                              I was just thinking about this for maintaining my group's characters.

                                              We tend to use Bags of Holding, etc. when carrying loot. It would be
                                              nice if the wt for coins were listed in the listing for each
                                              container, so that one would know how much is ignored for wt
                                              calculations. Otherwise the numbers will look wrong in that case.
                                              Unless someone has a better solution.

                                              PCGen LST Chimp
                                            • ovka
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jun 3, 2007
                                                > I was just thinking about this for maintaining my group's characters.
                                                >
                                                > We tend to use Bags of Holding, etc. when carrying loot. It would be
                                                > nice if the wt for coins were listed in the listing for each
                                                > container, so that one would know how much is ignored for wt
                                                > calculations. Otherwise the numbers will look wrong in that case.
                                                > Unless someone has a better solution.

                                                I think most of the OS include coins in the weight of containers.

                                                Cheers,

                                                Sir George Anonymous