Re: [pcgen] Incorrect Carried Weight Calculation?

  • Per Christian Henden
    Message 1 of 24 , May 31 12:51 PM
      On Thursday 31 May 2007 20:27:40 allencohn wrote:
      > Hi folks,
      >
      > My PC is too heavy! So I've been double checking his carried load.
      >
      > Strangely, when I add up the numbers it comes out to 68.01 lbs. But
      > PCGen calculates 66.61 lbs.
      >
      > Has anyone else had trouble with the weight calculations?
      >
      > How can I help someone track this down? Post my character file
      > somewhere?

      You have compare your calculation with PCGen's and found each item of your
      inventory to weigh the same? If not, just select Preview and page 2 to see a
      list of your inventory, complete with weights. Use it to find the difference.

      Two tips:

      Did you remember to adjust the weight of your items for PC size? If he's not
      medium size the weight of some items, like armor, will change.

      There is a button for automatically resizing items toward the bottom right
      corner of the inventory pane.

      Cheers,
      PER
    • allencohn
      Message 2 of 24 , May 31 1:35 PM
        Thanks for your response.

        What I did is go to the preview page and add up all the weights
        listed as carried or equipped. That total didn't match the total
        calculated on the preview page.

        Allen

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Per Christian Henden <perchrh-
        pcgen@...> wrote:
        > You have compare your calculation with PCGen's and found each item
        of your
        > inventory to weigh the same? If not, just select Preview and page 2
        to see a
        > list of your inventory, complete with weights. Use it to find the
        difference.

        > Two tips:
        >
        > Did you remember to adjust the weight of your items for PC size? If
        he's not
        > medium size the weight of some items, like armor, will change.
        >
        > There is a button for automatically resizing items toward the
        bottom right
        > corner of the inventory pane.
        >

        > Cheers,
        > PER

      • Per Christian Henden
        Message 3 of 24 , May 31 4:49 PM
          On Thursday 31 May 2007 22:35:00 allencohn wrote:
          > Thanks for your response.
          >
          > What I did is go to the preview page and add up all the weights
          > listed as carried or equipped. That total didn't match the total
          > calculated on the preview page.

          Okay, is all your equipment equipped or carried? PCGen allows you to add
          equipment that is not carried, e.g. your Alchemist’s Lab, and that will not
          count towards the total weight that decides the load.

          PER
        • allencohn
          Message 4 of 24 , May 31 5:30 PM
            OK. I was painfully careful and made sure I *only* included items
            listed as equipped or carried.

            My total: 70.01
            PCGen total: 66.61
            Difference: 3.4

            Perhaps PCGen isn't including the weight of my character's
            clothing...but that's 4, not 3.4.

            Hmmm...

            Has anyone else double checked their weight calculations? Is there
            something I should post somewhere so others can verify this?

            pcgen@...> wrote:

            > On Thursday 31 May 2007 22:35:00 allencohn wrote:
            > > Thanks for your response.
            > >
            > > What I did is go to the preview page and add up all the weights
            > > listed as carried or equipped. That total didn't match the total
            > > calculated on the preview page.
            > >
            > Okay, is all your equipment equipped or carried? PCGen allows you
            to add
            > equipment that is not carried, e.g. your Alchemist’s Lab, and
            that will not
            > count towards the total weight that decides the load.
            >
            > PER

          • Tir Gwaith
            Message 5 of 24 , May 31 7:16 PM
              On 5/31/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
              > OK. I was painfully careful and made sure I *only* included items
              > listed as equipped or carried.
              >
              > My total: 70.01
              > PCGen total: 66.61
              > Difference: 3.4
              >
              > Perhaps PCGen isn't including the weight of my character's
              > clothing...but that's 4, not 3.4.

              Correct, equipped clothing should not be included.

              > Has anyone else double checked their weight calculations? Is there
              > something I should post somewhere so others can verify this?

              Yeah, and it gets off in a few places, from the decimal / binary
              conversion. For me as DM, I don't worry about it. :P

              PCGen LST Chimp
            • allencohn
              Message 6 of 24 , May 31 9:00 PM

                pcgen@...> wrote:

                > On Thursday 31 May 2007 22:35:00 allencohn wrote:
                > > Thanks for your response.
                > >
                > > What I did is go to the preview page and add up all the weights
                > > listed as carried or equipped. That total didn't match the total
                > > calculated on the preview page.
                > >
                > Okay, is all your equipment equipped or carried? PCGen allows you
                to add
                > equipment that is not carried, e.g. your Alchemist’s Lab, and
                that will not
                > count towards the total weight that decides the load.
                >
                > PER

              • allencohn
                Message 7 of 24 , May 31 9:04 PM
                  Are you sure it's not a bug? 3.4 out of 70 is nearly a 5%
                  error...that seems an awful lot for a binary to decimal conversion
                  issue...

                  And if it isn't a bug, perhaps a different approach should be taken
                  toward the summation... certainly computers are capable of much
                  greater precision without much difficulty.

                  Allen

                  > On 5/31/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
                  > > OK. I was painfully careful and made sure I *only* included items
                  > > listed as equipped or carried.
                  > >
                  > > My total: 70.01
                  > > PCGen total: 66.61
                  > > Difference: 3.4
                  > >
                  > > Perhaps PCGen isn't including the weight of my character's
                  > > clothing...but that's 4, not 3.4.
                  >
                  > Correct, equipped clothing should not be included.
                  >
                  > > Has anyone else double checked their weight calculations? Is there
                  > > something I should post somewhere so others can verify this?
                  >
                  > Yeah, and it gets off in a few places, from the decimal / binary
                  > conversion. For me as DM, I don't worry about it. :P
                  >
                  > --
                  > Tir Gwaith
                  > PCGen LST Chimp

                • James Dempsey
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 31 9:43 PM
                    Hi Allen,

                    On 01/06/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
                    > Are you sure it's not a bug? 3.4 out of 70 is nearly a 5%
                    > error...that seems an awful lot for a binary to decimal conversion
                    > issue...
                    >
                    > And if it isn't a bug, perhaps a different approach should be taken
                    > toward the summation... certainly computers are capable of much
                    > greater precision without much difficulty.

                    Could you upload your character to the "Needs help with" section of
                    the list please? If it relies on closed content items, just a
                    character sheet with the equipment listed will be fine. We can then
                    look at what is being discussed and make an assessment.

                    James Dempsey
                    PCGen Code SB
                  • allencohn
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 31 10:43 PM
                      I hope I did it right...see Luke.pcg. I also loaded Luke 070531.pdf
                      in case there are some problems with the pcg file.

                      Thanks for your assistance.

                      Allen

                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Allen,
                      >
                      > On 01/06/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
                      > > Are you sure it's not a bug? 3.4 out of 70 is nearly a 5%
                      > > error...that seems an awful lot for a binary to decimal conversion
                      > > issue...
                      > >
                      > > And if it isn't a bug, perhaps a different approach should be
                      taken
                      > > toward the summation... certainly computers are capable of much
                      > > greater precision without much difficulty.
                      >

                      > Could you upload your character to the "Needs help with" section of
                      > the list please? If it relies on closed content items, just a
                      > character sheet with the equipment listed will be fine. We can then
                      > look at what is being discussed and make an assessment.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Cheers,
                      > James Dempsey
                      > PCGen Code SB

                    • James Dempsey
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 31 11:33 PM
                        Hi Allen,

                        Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
                        miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is shown
                        in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
                        what PCGen calculates.

                        Cheers,
                        James.

                        On 01/06/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
                        > I hope I did it right...see Luke.pcg. I also loaded Luke 070531.pdf
                        > in case there are some problems with the pcg file.
                        >
                        > Thanks for your assistance.
                        >
                        > Allen
                        >
                        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Allen,
                        > >
                        > > On 01/06/07, allencohn <allen@...> wrote:
                        > > > Are you sure it's not a bug? 3.4 out of 70 is nearly a 5%
                        > > > error...that seems an awful lot for a binary to decimal conversion
                        > > > issue...
                        > > >
                        > > > And if it isn't a bug, perhaps a different approach should be
                        > taken
                        > > > toward the summation... certainly computers are capable of much
                        > > > greater precision without much difficulty.
                        > >

                        > > Could you upload your character to the "Needs help with" section of
                        > > the list please? If it relies on closed content items, just a
                        > > character sheet with the equipment listed will be fine. We can then
                        > > look at what is being discussed and make an assessment.
                        > >
                        > > --
                        > > Cheers,
                        > > James Dempsey
                        > > PCGen Code SB
                      • allencohn
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 31 11:54 PM
                          Hmmm...My version of PCGen (5.11.14) shows 66.61 lbs. See the
                          accompanying pdf file.

                          I wonder why yours does it correctly and mine doesn't...

                          Allen

                          PS: I realized my 5% error figure was in error...sorry!

                          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Allen,
                          >
                          > Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
                          > miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is
                          shown
                          > in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
                          > what PCGen calculates.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > James.

                        • Martijn Verburg
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                            Might be worth trying on 5.12.0 RC2, see if there is a difference

                            > Hmmm...My version of PCGen (5.11.14) shows 66.61 lbs. See the
                            > accompanying pdf file.
                            >
                            > I wonder why yours does it correctly and mine doesn't...
                            >
                            > Allen
                            >
                            > PS: I realized my 5% error figure was in error...sorry!
                            >

                            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi Allen,
                            > >
                            > > Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
                            > > miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is
                            > shown
                            > > in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
                            > > what PCGen calculates.
                            > >
                            > > Cheers,
                            > > James.

                          • Frugal
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                              On Thu, May 31, 2007 9:35 pm, allencohn wrote:
                              > Thanks for your response.
                              >
                              > What I did is go to the preview page and add up all the weights
                              > listed as carried or equipped. That total didn't match the total
                              > calculated on the preview page.

                              Most of the output sheets (and I believe the preview tab) do not include
                              the coins you are carrying in teh equipment section, instead they included
                              them in a separate money table below. However at the bottom of the
                              equipment table will be the total carried weight even though some items
                              (such as coins) are not shown in the equipment table.

                              So if you have 250 coins in total, then they will total up to 5lb in
                              weight which may be where your missing weight is coming from.

                              --
                              regards,
                              Frugal
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                                Hi Allen,

                                You are right - I didn't look closely enough and my version is also
                                saying 66.61 lbs. However when I looked at the character's equipping tab
                                I traced the other 0.6lbs. It comes from the equipped coins :) These
                                aren't show in the inventory list unless they are listed as the contents
                                of a container. Instead they are shown in the money section.

                                Cheers,
                                James.

                                On 1/06/2007 4:54 PM allencohn wrote
                                > Hmmm...My version of PCGen (5.11.14) shows 66.61 lbs. See the
                                > accompanying pdf file.
                                >
                                > I wonder why yours does it correctly and mine doesn't...
                                >
                                > Allen
                                >
                                > PS: I realized my 5% error figure was in error...sorry!
                                >

                                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >> Hi Allen,
                                >>
                                >> Adding up the items listed as equipped or carried (excluding the
                                >> miners outfit - your worn outfit is weightless but the weight is
                                >>
                                > shown
                                >
                                >> in case you decide to carry it) I get 66.01 lbs, which agrees with
                                >> what PCGen calculates.
                                >>
                                >> Cheers,
                                >> James.
                              • allencohn
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                                  Ah...mystery solved.

                                  Thanks everyone!

                                  Allen

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                                    Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                                    note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this confusion in
                                    the future?

                                    OS monkeys, any thoughts on this?

                                    allencohn wrote:
                                    > Ah...mystery solved.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks everyone!
                                    >
                                    > Allen

                                    >> Hi Allen,
                                    >>
                                    >> You are right - I didn't look closely enough and my version is also
                                    >> saying 66.61 lbs. However when I looked at the character's
                                    >>
                                    > equipping tab
                                    >
                                    >> I traced the other 0.6lbs. It comes from the equipped coins :)
                                    >>
                                    > These
                                    >
                                    >> aren't show in the inventory list unless they are listed as the
                                    >>
                                    > contents
                                    >
                                    >> of a container. Instead they are shown in the money section.
                                    >>
                                    >> Cheers,
                                    >> James.

                                  • Martijn Verburg
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                                      Tracker it, it's a good idea

                                      Karianna <yes I was/am an OS monkey ;p>

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                                        [ 1729588 ] Add weight under coins section and note

                                        http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1729588&group_id=25576&atid=748297

                                        Martijn Verburg wrote:
                                        > Tracker it, it's a good idea
                                        >
                                        > Karianna <yes I was/am an OS monkey ;p>
                                        >

                                        >> Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                                        >> note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this confusion in
                                        >> the future?
                                        >>
                                        >> OS monkeys, any thoughts on this?
                                        >>
                                        >> allencohn wrote:
                                        >>
                                        >>> Ah...mystery solved.
                                        >>>
                                        >>> Thanks everyone!
                                        >>>
                                        >>> Allen

                                        >>> equipping tab

                                        >>> These

                                        >>> contents

                                        >>> PCGen's Wiki: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Welcome
                                        >>> PCGen's Roadmap: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Roadmap
                                        >>> PCGen's Online Docs:

                                        >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      • Frugal
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                                          On Fri, June 1, 2007 4:57 pm, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                                          > Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                                          > note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this confusion in
                                          > the future?

                                          Do you mean: In the Equipment table have an entry for "Money 234gp 0.6lbs"

                                          Or do you mean: In the Money table have the total weight for money along
                                          with a note saying that the sum of the weights in the equipment table,
                                          plus the weight of the coins in this table will be the total weight shown?

                                          --
                                          regards,
                                          Frugal
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jun 1, 2007
                                            Which would be easier to code? Which lends itself to more understanding?

                                            I suppose #1 is a better idea (KISS method), though #2 was the original
                                            idea.

                                            -Andrew

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jun 3, 2007
                                              I'd go with #1 personally, tracker updated - K

                                              > Which would be easier to code? Which lends itself to more
                                              > understanding?
                                              >
                                              > I suppose #1 is a better idea (KISS method), though #2 was the
                                              > original idea.
                                              >
                                              > -Andrew
                                              >
                                              > Frugal wrote:
                                              > > On Fri, June 1, 2007 4:57 pm, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > >> Would a tracker to include a weight section under money with a small
                                              > >> note of weight add to the MAIN list be a way to avoid this
                                              confusion in
                                              > >> the future?
                                              > >>

                                              > > Do you mean: In the Equipment table have an entry for "Money 234gp
                                              0.6lbs"

                                              > > Or do you mean: In the Money table have the total weight for money
                                              along
                                              > > with a note saying that the sum of the weights in the equipment table,
                                              > > plus the weight of the coins in this table will be the total
                                              weight shown?

                                            • Tir Gwaith
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jun 3, 2007
                                                I was just thinking about this for maintaining my group's characters.

                                                We tend to use Bags of Holding, etc. when carrying loot. It would be
                                                nice if the wt for coins were listed in the listing for each
                                                container, so that one would know how much is ignored for wt
                                                calculations. Otherwise the numbers will look wrong in that case.
                                                Unless someone has a better solution.

                                                PCGen LST Chimp
                                              • ovka
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jun 3, 2007
                                                  > I was just thinking about this for maintaining my group's characters.
                                                  >
                                                  > We tend to use Bags of Holding, etc. when carrying loot. It would be
                                                  > nice if the wt for coins were listed in the listing for each
                                                  > container, so that one would know how much is ignored for wt
                                                  > calculations. Otherwise the numbers will look wrong in that case.
                                                  > Unless someone has a better solution.

                                                  I think most of the OS include coins in the weight of containers.

                                                  Cheers,

                                                  Sir George Anonymous