[Bug?] Large MW weapons costs

  • Tir Gwaith
    Message 1 of 7 , May 26 11:41 AM
      I can't find a clarification anywhere.

      Large weapons cost x2 the base cost. So a Large Greatsword is 100gp.

      What I can't find is whether the MW cost is also doubled. PCGen says
      a MW Large Greatsword is 700. I thought it should be 400, as in
      (2x50)+300 instead of 2x(50+300).

      The magical enhancements are calculated correctly (it isn't doubling
      those, anyway).

      The doubling cost is coming from GameMode sizeAdjustment.lst
      BONUS:ITEMCOST|TYPE=Ammunition,TYPE=Armor,TYPE=Shield,TYPE=Weapon|2
      (Which is weird, since that is a multiplier, and nothing in
      BONUS:ITEMCOST suggests multiplication in the file).

      Since the MW cost is figured in BONUS:ITEMCOST (so the Weapon and
      Ammunition are in the same object), the cost for MW is getting
      doubled. If it were separated into two different objects, using the
      COST tag, that would not happen.

      So, which way is the correct way of calculating the cost of MW for a
      Large weapon? Honestly, I can see arguments for either way, and can't
      find a clarification in either the rules or the FAQ.

      PCGen LST Chimp
    • Andrew Wilson
      Message 2 of 7 , May 26 2:14 PM
        On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 12:41:35PM -0600, Tir Gwaith wrote:
        > I can't find a clarification anywhere.
        >
        > Large weapons cost x2 the base cost. So a Large Greatsword is 100gp.
        >
        > What I can't find is whether the MW cost is also doubled. PCGen says
        > a MW Large Greatsword is 700. I thought it should be 400, as in
        > (2x50)+300 instead of 2x(50+300).
        >
        > The magical enhancements are calculated correctly (it isn't doubling
        > those, anyway).

        The current FAQ has an entry on page 44 about calculating the cost of
        Barding for a warhorse. The answer seems relevant.

        andrew
        --
        Aquarius: (Jan. 20 - Feb. 18)
        You have always considered yourself a belt-and-suspenders
        Message 3 of 7 , May 26 6:20 PM
          On 5/26/07, Andrew Wilson <andrew@...> wrote:
          > On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 12:41:35PM -0600, Tir Gwaith wrote:
          > > I can't find a clarification anywhere.
          > >
          > > Large weapons cost x2 the base cost. So a Large Greatsword is 100gp.
          > >
          > > What I can't find is whether the MW cost is also doubled. PCGen says
          > > a MW Large Greatsword is 700. I thought it should be 400, as in
          > > (2x50)+300 instead of 2x(50+300).
          > >
          > > The magical enhancements are calculated correctly (it isn't doubling
          > > those, anyway).
          >
          > The current FAQ has an entry on page 44 about calculating the cost of
          > Barding for a warhorse. The answer seems relevant.

          Following that, then the MW does not come into play for the
          doubling/quadrupling for armor / weapons for size and unusual shape.

          If more than just me reads it that way, we'll need a Data Bug tracker
          (and we'll be breaking some eqmods apart).

          PCGen LST Chimp
        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 7 , May 29 7:59 PM
            Tir Gwaith scribed:

            >>> Large weapons cost x2 the base cost. So a Large Greatsword is 100gp.
            >>>
            >>> What I can't find is whether the MW cost is also doubled. PCGen says
            >>> a MW Large Greatsword is 700. I thought it should be 400, as in
            >>> (2x50)+300 instead of 2x(50+300).
            >>>
            >>> The magical enhancements are calculated correctly (it isn't doubling
            >>> those, anyway).
            >>
            >> The current FAQ has an entry on page 44 about calculating the cost of
            >> Barding for a warhorse. The answer seems relevant.
            >
            > Following that, then the MW does not come into play for the
            > doubling/quadrupling for armor / weapons for size and unusual shape.
            >
            > If more than just me reads it that way, we'll need a Data Bug tracker
            > (and we'll be breaking some eqmods apart).

            This came up a while back when I was looking at special materials, I had
            thought that an adjustment for size should be included in the price of
            special materials. This seemed logical to me seeing as how the price of a
            Mithral weapon is determined by it's weight. Barak was looking at that too
            for CMP and the official ruling they got from WotC was that only the price
            of the base item is adjusted for size, Masterwork, magical pluses and
            special material costs are not adjusted for size.

            The situation you describe above sounds like a code bug, the code should not
            be applying a size adjustment to price on ANY EQMODs.
            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          • Martijn Verburg
            Message 5 of 7 , May 30 1:25 AM
              Comments added to code bug tracker - K

              > Tir Gwaith scribed:

              > >> The current FAQ has an entry on page 44 about calculating the cost of
              > >> Barding for a warhorse. The answer seems relevant.
              > >
              > > Following that, then the MW does not come into play for the
              > > doubling/quadrupling for armor / weapons for size and unusual shape.
              > >
              > > If more than just me reads it that way, we'll need a Data Bug tracker
              > > (and we'll be breaking some eqmods apart).
              >
              > This came up a while back when I was looking at special materials, I had
              > thought that an adjustment for size should be included in the price of
              > special materials. This seemed logical to me seeing as how the price
              of a
              > Mithral weapon is determined by it's weight. Barak was looking at
              that too
              > for CMP and the official ruling they got from WotC was that only the
              price
              > of the base item is adjusted for size, Masterwork, magical pluses and
              > special material costs are not adjusted for size.
              >
              > The situation you describe above sounds like a code bug, the code
              should not
              > be applying a size adjustment to price on ANY EQMODs.
              > --
              > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              > ~ PCGen BoD, Data Content Second, Doc Chimp

            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007

                On 30/05/2007 12:59 PM Eddy Anthony wrote
                > Tir Gwaith scribed:

                >>> The current FAQ has an entry on page 44 about calculating the cost of
                >>> Barding for a warhorse. The answer seems relevant.
                >>>
                >> Following that, then the MW does not come into play for the
                >> doubling/quadrupling for armor / weapons for size and unusual shape.
                >>
                >> If more than just me reads it that way, we'll need a Data Bug tracker
                >> (and we'll be breaking some eqmods apart).
                >>

                > This came up a while back when I was looking at special materials, I had
                > thought that an adjustment for size should be included in the price of
                > special materials. This seemed logical to me seeing as how the price of a
                > Mithral weapon is determined by it's weight. Barak was looking at that too
                > for CMP and the official ruling they got from WotC was that only the price
                > of the base item is adjusted for size, Masterwork, magical pluses and
                > special material costs are not adjusted for size.
                >
                > The situation you describe above sounds like a code bug, the code should not
                > be applying a size adjustment to price on ANY EQMODs.

                I have fixed this one up, but I was wondering - should we make this game
                mode dependant? I don't know if the rules vary between modern, true 20
                etc. Either way this wouldn't be changed for 5.12, but if desired it
                might be possible to accommodate this in 5.14.

                James Dempsey
                PCGen Code SB
              • Tir Gwaith
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
                  > > The situation you describe above sounds like a code bug, the code should not
                  > > be applying a size adjustment to price on ANY EQMODs.
                  > >
                  > I have fixed this one up, but I was wondering - should we make this game
                  > mode dependant? I don't know if the rules vary between modern, true 20
                  > etc. Either way this wouldn't be changed for 5.12, but if desired it
                  > might be possible to accommodate this in 5.14.

                  Not necessary IMO. BONUS:ITEMCOST can be set up with PRExxx for size,
                  so it can be implemented in the data.

                  PCGen LST Chimp