[5.10.2 Program Bug] Animal Companions/Racial Hit Dice/Feats

  • ovka
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2007
      This was taken from the PCGen Boards. Kar suggested I post this here
      since it is a program bug, and to ask if anyone can confirm this is
      still an issue in the latest beta.
      I just increased my party's ranger to 6th level (Animal Companion
      Master level 3). His wolf animal companion was granted two additional
      hit dice, and two additional skill points came with them (one for
      each hit die; INT=2). However, the wolf did not gain an additional
      feat for its third hit die.

      I don't think this is a dataset problem, I think it is a program
      problem. I tried this with 5.8.1, and with 5.10.2 using the RSRD, and
      got the same results. Then I recreated the wolf with the "use default
      monsters" preference turned off, and when I added it as an animal
      companion the extra feat was added.

      I looks like what is happening is the program is ignoring the racial
      HD when performing the feat addition calculation if the "use default
      monsters" preference is turned on. As mentioned above, the work-
      around is to turn off this preference when creating animal
      companions.

      Cheers,

      Sir George Anonymous