GMGen "Duplicate"

  • mtart_vcs
    Message 1 of 5 , May 5 8:11 PM
      How does the "Duplicate" button in the initiative tab work. Example: I
      have an encounter with 9 Dire Rats. I created a Dire Rat and then
      tried to duplicate it with the "Duplicate" button and the program
      responds with "Combatant Dire Animal (Dire Rat) cannot be duplicated
      because it has not been saved to a valid .pcg file."

      If I save it to a .pcg file and then try duplicating it, the programs
      responds with "This character has already been loaded from: C:\...\Dire
      Rat.pcg".
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 5 , May 6 9:05 AM
        mtart_vcs scribed:

        > How does the "Duplicate" button in the initiative tab work. Example: I
        > have an encounter with 9 Dire Rats. I created a Dire Rat and then
        > tried to duplicate it with the "Duplicate" button and the program
        > responds with "Combatant Dire Animal (Dire Rat) cannot be duplicated
        > because it has not been saved to a valid .pcg file."

        I think that only works with combatants added with the add combatant button.
        This adds a combatant to the list in which you can specify a few combat
        related stats but does not create a character in PCGen.

        > If I save it to a .pcg file and then try duplicating it, the programs
        > responds with "This character has already been loaded from: C:\...\Dire
        > Rat.pcg".

        You'll need to change the name and "save as" to create duplicate character
        files.

        As I think about it this would be a nice FREQ, to have the duplicate button
        create additional entries of a PCGen character in GMGen without the overhead
        of duplicating the entire character in PCGen. It would save a lot of time
        and program memory.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        Message 3 of 5 , May 6 10:48 PM
          I didn't see a tracker for this, was it covered by the several GMGen
          trackers that just went through or would you like a tracker for this
          particular FREQ?

          Eddy Anthony wrote:
          > mtart_vcs scribed:
          >

          >> How does the "Duplicate" button in the initiative tab work. Example: I
          >> have an encounter with 9 Dire Rats. I created a Dire Rat and then
          >> tried to duplicate it with the "Duplicate" button and the program
          >> responds with "Combatant Dire Animal (Dire Rat) cannot be duplicated
          >> because it has not been saved to a valid .pcg file."
          >>

          > I think that only works with combatants added with the add combatant button.
          > This adds a combatant to the list in which you can specify a few combat
          > related stats but does not create a character in PCGen.
          >

          >> If I save it to a .pcg file and then try duplicating it, the programs
          >> responds with "This character has already been loaded from: C:\...\Dire
          >> Rat.pcg".
          >>

          > You'll need to change the name and "save as" to create duplicate character
          > files.
          >
          > As I think about it this would be a nice FREQ, to have the duplicate button
          > create additional entries of a PCGen character in GMGen without the overhead
          > of duplicating the entire character in PCGen. It would save a lot of time
          > and program memory.

        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 5 , May 7 8:52 AM
            I don't think this has been requested before.

            To summarize: this would allow the Duplicate button to create additional
            instances of one PCGen character in the GMGen Initiative window. It would
            also be useful if the total hit point value could be changed since this is
            often the only difference being tracked in a group of similar NPC's. In fact
            it would be nice to have the option of having the hit points re-rolled when
            the duplicate is created.

            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            Message 5 of 5 , May 7 1:36 PM
              Thanks for the summary - helps a lot.

              [ 1714585 ] Allow additional instances of one PC & allow Different Hp

              https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1714585&group_id=25576&atid=772045