New to Ubuntu, can't make PCGen work

  • metukio
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2007
      Hi all,

      I've been using PCGen for a while now, and am very used to it by now.
      I've recently started working with Ubuntu, and for some reason can't
      make PCGen work on it. I'm aware that someone posted a siilar message
      about 2 months ago, but it appears the problem is different:

      java -jar pcgen.jar
      /usr/share/themes/Gray/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:32: Failed to parse property
      value " GTK_SHADOW_NONE " for `GtkStatusbar::shadow-type'
      /usr/share/themes/Gray/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:33: Failed to parse property
      value " GTK_SHADOW_NONE " for `GtkSpinButton::shadow-type'

      Does anyone have any idea what might cause this and how can I fix it?

      Thanks in advance.
    • Tod W. Milam
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2007
        You need to make sure you are using Sun's version of Java. What is the
        output of "java -version"? On Ubuntu Dapper I get the following by
        default:
        java version "1.4.2"
        gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.0 (Ubuntu 4.1.0-1ubuntu8)

        which indicates it is using the GNU version, not Sun's version.

        Tod

        --- metukio <metukio@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I've been using PCGen for a while now, and am very used to it by now.
        > I've recently started working with Ubuntu, and for some reason can't
        > make PCGen work on it. I'm aware that someone posted a siilar message
        > about 2 months ago, but it appears the problem is different:
        >
        > java -jar pcgen.jar
        > /usr/share/themes/Gray/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:32: Failed to parse property
        > value " GTK_SHADOW_NONE " for `GtkStatusbar::shadow-type'
        > /usr/share/themes/Gray/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:33: Failed to parse property
        > value " GTK_SHADOW_NONE " for `GtkSpinButton::shadow-type'
        >
        > Does anyone have any idea what might cause this and how can I fix it?
        >
        > Thanks in advance.

        > PCGen's Online Docs:

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • metukio
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2007
          The output is:

          java version "1.5.0_08"
          Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_08-b03)
          Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_08-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

          Isn't that Sun Java?

          Ofer

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tod W. Milam" <twmilam@...> wrote:

          > You need to make sure you are using Sun's version of Java. What is the
          > output of "java -version"? On Ubuntu Dapper I get the following by
          > default:
          > java version "1.4.2"
          > gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.0 (Ubuntu 4.1.0-1ubuntu8)
          >
          > which indicates it is using the GNU version, not Sun's version.
          >
          > Tod
          >
          > --- metukio <metukio@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I've been using PCGen for a while now, and am very used to it by now.
          > > I've recently started working with Ubuntu, and for some reason can't
          > > make PCGen work on it. I'm aware that someone posted a siilar message
          > > about 2 months ago, but it appears the problem is different:
          > >
          > > java -jar pcgen.jar
          > > /usr/share/themes/Gray/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:32: Failed to parse property
          > > value " GTK_SHADOW_NONE " for `GtkStatusbar::shadow-type'
          > > /usr/share/themes/Gray/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:33: Failed to parse property
          > > value " GTK_SHADOW_NONE " for `GtkSpinButton::shadow-type'
          > >
          > > Does anyone have any idea what might cause this and how can I fix it?
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance.

          > > PCGen's Wiki: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Welcome
          > > PCGen's Roadmap: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Roadmap
          > > PCGen's Online Docs:
          > > http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Per Christian Henden
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2007
            This sounds more like a Ubuntu/Java issue than pcgen issue.
            It looks like Java 1.5 has problems with the default GTK theme. It works for
            me with Ubuntu Feisty.

            Could be that you are missing parts of gtk. Try adding the gtk-packages, using
            the command below
            sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines gtk2-engines-pixbuf gtk2-engines-ubuntulooks
            libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-cil libgtk2.0-common

            You could also try upgrading to Ubuntu Feisty, which comes with java 1.5.0.11,
            among other things.

            In any case, I recommend you head over to the Ubuntu forums if you need more
            help.

            Cheers,
            PER

            On Tuesday 01 May 2007 10:58:57 metukio wrote:
            > The output is:
            >
            > java version "1.5.0_08"
            > Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_08-b03)
            > Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_08-b03, mixed mode, sharing)
            >
            > Isn't that Sun Java?
            >
            > Ofer
            >
            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tod W. Milam" <twmilam@...> wrote:
            > > You need to make sure you are using Sun's version of Java. What is the
            > > output of "java -version"? On Ubuntu Dapper I get the following by
            > > default:
            > > java version "1.4.2"
            > > gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.0 (Ubuntu 4.1.0-1ubuntu8)
            > >
            > > which indicates it is using the GNU version, not Sun's version.
            > >
            > > Tod
            > >
            > > --- metukio <metukio@...> wrote:
            > > > Hi all,
            > > >
            > > > I've been using PCGen for a while now, and am very used to it by now.
            > > > I've recently started working with Ubuntu, and for some reason can't
            > > > make PCGen work on it. I'm aware that someone posted a siilar message
            > > > about 2 months ago, but it appears the problem is different:
            > > >
            > > > java -jar pcgen.jar
            > > > /usr/share/themes/Gray/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:32: Failed to parse property
            > > > value " GTK_SHADOW_NONE " for `GtkStatusbar::shadow-type'
            > > > /usr/share/themes/Gray/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:33: Failed to parse property
            > > > value " GTK_SHADOW_NONE " for `GtkSpinButton::shadow-type'
            > > >
            > > > Does anyone have any idea what might cause this and how can I fix it?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks in advance.
            > > >

            > > > PCGen's Release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net
            > > > PCGen's Wiki: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Welcome
            > > > PCGen's Roadmap: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Roadmap
            > > > PCGen's Alpha Build: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php
            > > > PCGen's Online Docs:
            > > > http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/
            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > > http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Tom Parker
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2007
              You may wish to try http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=183414

              And see if the solutions in that thread work for you.

              (This seems to be a Theme issue, not a java issue)