Custom weapon

  • Koen Van Daele
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 26, 2007
      Hi all,

      I'm trying to create a custom weapon by using the BASEITEM tag and EQMOD.
      Something like this:

      Ahjanna's Longbow BASEITEM:Longbow
      EQMOD:PLUS1W.HOLY_R.SHOCK_R COST:32700

      When I look a the Equipment Info label in pcgen I see the following:
      Ahjanna's Longbow TYPE: Properties: ITEMCOST|TYPE.COLDIRON.AMMUNITION|40,
      ITEMCOST|TYPE.COLDIRON.WEAPON|2000,
      ITEMCOST|TYPE.AMMUNITION|6|!PRETYPE:1,EQMODTYPE=MASTERWORKQUALITY,
      ITEMCOST|TYPE.WEAPON|300|!PRETYPE:1,EQMODTYPE=MASTERWORKQUALITY,
      WEAPON|DAMAGE,TOHIT|1|TYPE=ENHANCEMENT|good-aligned,+2d6 holy damage vs.
      evil bestowed on ammunition,1 negative level bestowed to evil wielder,
      +1d6 electricity damage bestowed on ammunition WT: 0 lbs. Size: M SOURCE:
      De Foeffighters

      Something I'm missing here? The docs gave an example with EQMOD:Holy. I
      tried that but that didn't work either.

      Also I tried to create an item through the item customizer and look at the
      output. The format that gets saved with the character seems different.
      With previous versions a file showed up in the customsources folder called
      customequipment.lst but this does not seem to be the case anymore? Is this
      a bug or intentional?

      Greetings,
      Koen
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 26, 2007
        On 4/26/07 7:17 AM, "Koen Van Daele" <kador@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to create a custom weapon by using the BASEITEM tag and EQMOD.
        > Something like this:
        >
        > Ahjanna's Longbow BASEITEM:Longbow
        > EQMOD:PLUS1W.HOLY_R.SHOCK_R COST:32700
        >
        > When I look a the Equipment Info label in pcgen I see the following:
        > Ahjanna's Longbow TYPE: Properties: ITEMCOST|TYPE.COLDIRON.AMMUNITION|40,
        > ITEMCOST|TYPE.COLDIRON.WEAPON|2000,
        > ITEMCOST|TYPE.AMMUNITION|6|!PRETYPE:1,EQMODTYPE=MASTERWORKQUALITY,
        > ITEMCOST|TYPE.WEAPON|300|!PRETYPE:1,EQMODTYPE=MASTERWORKQUALITY,
        > WEAPON|DAMAGE,TOHIT|1|TYPE=ENHANCEMENT|good-aligned,+2d6 holy damage vs.
        > evil bestowed on ammunition,1 negative level bestowed to evil wielder,
        > +1d6 electricity damage bestowed on ammunition WT: 0 lbs. Size: M SOURCE:
        > De Foeffighters
        >
        > Something I'm missing here? The docs gave an example with EQMOD:Holy. I
        > tried that but that didn't work either.

        I think the docs may be wrong about the use and purpose of BASEITEM, at
        least I've never been able to make it work that way. We'd need someone to
        look at the code to know.

        A working method to do this is to simply copy the whole longbow line and
        modify it by changing the name and adding the EQMODs.

        > Also I tried to create an item through the item customizer and look at the
        > output. The format that gets saved with the character seems different.
        > With previous versions a file showed up in the customsources folder called
        > customequipment.lst but this does not seem to be the case anymore? Is this
        > a bug or intentional?

        There is a preference to have custom equipment saved to that file, I'd guess
        that you have it unchecked at the moment.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      • Koen Van Daele
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 26, 2007
          > On 4/26/07 7:17 AM, "Koen Van Daele" <kador@...> wrote:
          >
          >> I'm trying to create a custom weapon by using the BASEITEM tag and
          >> EQMOD.
          >> Something like this:
          >>
          >> Ahjanna's Longbow BASEITEM:Longbow
          >> EQMOD:PLUS1W.HOLY_R.SHOCK_R COST:32700
          >>
          >> When I look a the Equipment Info label in pcgen I see the following:
          >> Ahjanna's Longbow TYPE: Properties:
          >> ITEMCOST|TYPE.COLDIRON.AMMUNITION|40,
          >> ITEMCOST|TYPE.COLDIRON.WEAPON|2000,
          >> ITEMCOST|TYPE.AMMUNITION|6|!PRETYPE:1,EQMODTYPE=MASTERWORKQUALITY,
          >> ITEMCOST|TYPE.WEAPON|300|!PRETYPE:1,EQMODTYPE=MASTERWORKQUALITY,
          >> WEAPON|DAMAGE,TOHIT|1|TYPE=ENHANCEMENT|good-aligned,+2d6 holy damage vs.
          >> evil bestowed on ammunition,1 negative level bestowed to evil wielder,
          >> +1d6 electricity damage bestowed on ammunition WT: 0 lbs. Size: M
          >> SOURCE:
          >> De Foeffighters
          >>
          >> Something I'm missing here? The docs gave an example with EQMOD:Holy. I
          >> tried that but that didn't work either.
          >
          > I think the docs may be wrong about the use and purpose of BASEITEM, at
          > least I've never been able to make it work that way. We'd need someone to
          > look at the code to know.
          >
          > A working method to do this is to simply copy the whole longbow line and
          > modify it by changing the name and adding the EQMODs.

          Hi, now I got pcgen to save a custom item I see the following output in
          customequipment.lst:

          BASEITEM:Longbow (Composite) NAME:Longbow +1 (Composite/Holy/Shock/+3)
          EQMOD:PLUS1W.BOWSTR|+3.HOLY_R.SHOCK_R.WOOD

          So more or less the same syntax I was trying to use. This doesn't work
          either. Could some else please verify this (that a weapon created with the
          itemcustomizer that is not saved with the character itself but is
          customequipment.lst doesn't function when loaded again). This seems to be
          a bug with BASEITEM - EQMOD. I can use the workaround you described but I
          think that's not the way it should work?

          Koen
        • Koen Van Daele
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 29, 2007
            So, is this a doc bug or or a code bug? Should something like:
            Ahjanna's Longbow BASEITEM:Longbow EQMOD:PLUS1W.HOLY_R.SHOCK_R
            COST:32700
            this work (in that case there's a code bug) or not (in that case there's
            a doc bug).
            Also, the docs refer to an EQMOD:Holy, but from looking at the
            equipmods.lst file it looks like the EQMOD are in capital letters and
            contain a suffix (e.g HOLY_R). So, I guess some of those references in
            the docs are wrong?

            Koen

            Op donderdag 26-04-2007 om 17:16 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Koen Van
            Daele:

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 30, 2007

              I will try to keep this brief:

              From what you are saying it sounds like you are directly editing the
              custom file. If you look at readme file it explicitly states NOT to mess
              with the custom file as bad things can happen.

              Now, if you are trying to create a custom item in your own file then you
              don't even need to bother with the tag BASEITEM as that is only used by
              PCGen internal.

              Your example I would use:
              Item Name <tab> PROFICIENCY:Longbow <tab> PLUS:[whatever the eqmods
              equal up too] <tab> EQMOD: [these look correct] <tab>
              TYPE:Ranged.Specific.Weapon.Enchanted.Bow

              If the docs state holy is just holy then that would be incorrect because
              each eqmod has an underscore followed by letter to make it keyed
              differently. HOLY_R would be ranged weapon vs HOLY_M would be a melee
              weapon.

              If you want to make your own items follow the present examples found in
              the RSRD folder under advanced ranged weapons specific would be an
              excellent to look. There you will notice BASEITEM never appears.

              If you are still having difficulty making your own lst file or getting
              the tags to work, please feel free to ask on the pcgen lsthelp group.

              I hope this helps.

              -Andrew
              Data Lemur, Docs Lemur, Tracker Monkey

            • Koen Van Daele
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 30, 2007

                > I will try to keep this brief:
                >
                > From what you are saying it sounds like you are directly editing the
                > custom file. If you look at readme file it explicitly states NOT to mess
                > with the custom file as bad things can happen.

                No, I was looking at that file for inspiration on how to use the BASEITEM
                tag.

                > Now, if you are trying to create a custom item in your own file then you
                > don't even need to bother with the tag BASEITEM as that is only used by
                > PCGen internal.

                Then I think the docs should reflect this. There doens't seem to be any
                text that indicates BASEITEM is for internal use only. Actually the
                example makes it look like it's not just for internal use.

                > Your example I would use:
                > Item Name <tab> PROFICIENCY:Longbow <tab> PLUS:[whatever the eqmods
                > equal up too] <tab> EQMOD: [these look correct] <tab>
                > TYPE:Ranged.Specific.Weapon.Enchanted.Bow

                Now I'm confused. The docs specifically state the EQMOD only works with
                BASEITEM (that's one of the reasons why I was trying to use BASEITEM):
                From the EQMOD tag doc:
                EQMOD is used with BASEITEM. Without BASEITEM, no Equipmod will be applied.

                > If the docs state holy is just holy then that would be incorrect because
                > each eqmod has an underscore followed by letter to make it keyed
                > differently. HOLY_R would be ranged weapon vs HOLY_M would be a melee
                > weapon.

                Yes, it seems the docs are incorrect there.

                > If you want to make your own items follow the present examples found in
                > the RSRD folder under advanced ranged weapons specific would be an
                > excellent to look. There you will notice BASEITEM never appears.

                Yes I had noticed that. Using BASEITEM just seemed like a much simpeler
                way to create the items that I wanted.

                > If you are still having difficulty making your own lst file or getting
                > the tags to work, please feel free to ask on the pcgen lsthelp group.
                >
                > I hope this helps.

                Yes it doet. Can someone tracker those doc bugs then?

                Koen

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 30, 2007
                  Docs Tracker:

                  [ 1710413 ] BASEITEM tag has incorrect example

                  https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1710413&group_id=25576&atid=748234

                  Data Tracker:

                  [ 1710415 ] BASEITEM Tag not operating as one would expect

                  https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1710415&group_id=25576&atid=750091