FReq ideas.

  • Tir Gwaith
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 17, 2007
      Another list of FReqs compiled from working with my gaming group, and
      introducing them to maintaining their own characters.

      OS / Code
      1) Display if the Armor Check penalty comes from Armor worn, or
      Encumbrance. Means something to know if taking the character's armor
      off and strapping it to the backpack will help improve the Climb
      modifier.

      Code
      1) Way to quickly remove items completely from character. Mostly this
      is for Consumable items. Having to unequip, then switch tabs to
      remove the item gets annoying. I understand the complexity of having
      multiple ways of equipping, which could complicate things. I'd like
      to at least be able to do it if the user is only using the 'Default
      set' since I think that's how most users use it (at least in the
      circles I run in :P .)

      Data:
      1) Combat Expertise clarification - no mention of maximum of BAB or 5,
      like the Power Attack feat's DESC. Simple modification, following the
      method of Power Attack. No brainer, IMO.

      2) Subskill for Sense Motive use to avoid being Flat-footed from a
      Bluff Feint skill use (character adds BAB to the Sense Motive check).
      Potential issues with this are
      a) almost every character would get the bonus, so this won't be a
      normal display for the few characters that have the synergies, etc.
      b) right now, won't display unless the character already has at least
      1 rank of Sense Motive, since the spec I put out on Subskills / Skill
      usage stuff have stagnated since I posted it. The code work to make
      the subskill system more elegant would get around that.

      Possibly some more issues, since I haven't thought through all the
      way. I'd kinda like to know if this is something other users would
      want to see. I'm helping a player playing Rogue for the first time
      (been wanting to do it for a while), and he likes not having to
      remember as much stuff about conditionals. I'm also introducing
      another player to using skills, more than the occasional check while
      helped by the more experienced group members - fewer things to
      remember is also a good thing there. (He's playing a fighter, so
      unless he's doing an attack, he generally sits on the couch and waits
      for the next chance to attack something.)

      Thoughts?

      PCGen LST Chimp
    • Koen Van Daele
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 18, 2007
        > Code
        > 1) Way to quickly remove items completely from character. Mostly this
        > is for Consumable items. Having to unequip, then switch tabs to
        > remove the item gets annoying. I understand the complexity of having
        > multiple ways of equipping, which could complicate things. I'd like
        > to at least be able to do it if the user is only using the 'Default
        > set' since I think that's how most users use it (at least in the
        > circles I run in :P .)

        I do indeed agree that the buying-equipping-removing-selling routine could
        be improved. I normally simplify things by using the 'ignore cost' option
        so I'm not forced to use a certain order in dealing with the items or
        watch the gp value. I also only use the Default Set. I don't really see
        the point in the equipment sets (I think I understand why they exist but
        I've never used them, seems like far too much work).
        Quickly removing items would be one thing. For cosumable items it would
        also be nice to be able to update the number of items (e.g. from 2 potions
        of cure light wounds to 3) without have to buy/sell them or buying/selling
        them without having to (un)equip them.
        Another thing I frequently have to do is 'upgrading items', e.g. from Ring
        of Protection +2 to Ring of Protection +3. Currently this means removing
        the ROP+2, switching tabs, selling it, buying the ROP+3, switching tabs
        again, equipping it. Being able to select an item and upgrade it would be
        very helpful. But I don't think it's that easy to implement since I don't
        know of a way to determine what procedes what in the 'upgrade' tree. Or is
        there a tag for that?

        There are probably some other things that could be improved too. With our
        current campaign (L16) I find that updating the equipment takes far more
        time than updating everything else. The tab switching does indeed get
        annoying.

        Koen
      • James Dempsey
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 18, 2007

          On 18/04/2007 5:36 PM Koen Van Daele wrote
          >> Code
          >> 1) Way to quickly remove items completely from character. Mostly this
          >> is for Consumable items. Having to unequip, then switch tabs to
          >> remove the item gets annoying. I understand the complexity of having
          >> multiple ways of equipping, which could complicate things. I'd like
          >> to at least be able to do it if the user is only using the 'Default
          >> set' since I think that's how most users use it (at least in the
          >> circles I run in :P .)

          Add a vote for that one from me too.

          > I do indeed agree that the buying-equipping-removing-selling routine could
          > be improved. I normally simplify things by using the 'ignore cost' option
          > so I'm not forced to use a certain order in dealing with the items or
          > watch the gp value. I also only use the Default Set. I don't really see
          > the point in the equipment sets (I think I understand why they exist but
          > I've never used them, seems like far too much work).
          > Quickly removing items would be one thing. For cosumable items it would
          > also be nice to be able to update the number of items (e.g. from 2 potions
          > of cure light wounds to 3) without have to buy/sell them or buying/selling
          > them without having to (un)equip them.

          Perhaps having an option to buy and equip available for consumables like
          this?

          > Another thing I frequently have to do is 'upgrading items', e.g. from Ring
          > of Protection +2 to Ring of Protection +3. Currently this means removing
          > the ROP+2, switching tabs, selling it, buying the ROP+3, switching tabs
          > again, equipping it. Being able to select an item and upgrade it would be
          > very helpful. But I don't think it's that easy to implement since I don't
          > know of a way to determine what procedes what in the 'upgrade' tree. Or is
          > there a tag for that?

          We could probably do some code to look for another eqmod or item with 1
          added to the plus of an item - I am a little more dubious about this
          one. I would prefer a tag in the data - maybe UPGRADEABLE:YES or
          UPGRADEABLE:+2,+3,+4,+5 to trigger the availability of the action though.

          Being able to rename bought items would be nice too.

          James Dempsey
          PCGen Code SB
        • Andrew Wilson
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 18, 2007
            On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 09:36:42AM +0200, Koen Van Daele wrote:
            >> Code
            >> 1) Way to quickly remove items completely from character. Mostly this
            >> is for Consumable items. Having to unequip, then switch tabs to
            >> remove the item gets annoying. I understand the complexity of having
            >> multiple ways of equipping, which could complicate things. I'd like
            >> to at least be able to do it if the user is only using the 'Default
            >> set' since I think that's how most users use it (at least in the
            >> circles I run in :P .)
            >
            > I do indeed agree that the buying-equipping-removing-selling routine could
            > be improved. I normally simplify things by using the 'ignore cost' option
            > so I'm not forced to use a certain order in dealing with the items or
            > watch the gp value. I also only use the Default Set. I don't really see
            > the point in the equipment sets (I think I understand why they exist but
            > I've never used them, seems like far too much work).

            I use more than one equip set, but only to separate items. Stuff I'm
            wearing/carrying that's affecting my stats/skills/attacks/whatever in
            some way goes in the default set, everything else goes in one of the
            other sets.

            I'd much rather see the facility to have groups of equipment sets. Where
            you could force every item to appear somewhere in one of the subsets.
            The system should keep track of which "sub-set" the item is in and each
            sub set should be printed out separately. It would also be nice to mark
            whether each set should affect the character (modify stats, weapon
            blocks appear, etc.).

            This is effectively how I manage a charaacter now but it takes lots of
            "dicking about". It's also easy to miss an item off one of the lists, so
            you own it but it's not part of any equip set.

            > Quickly removing items would be one thing. For cosumable items it would
            > also be nice to be able to update the number of items (e.g. from 2 potions
            > of cure light wounds to 3) without have to buy/sell them or buying/selling
            > them without having to (un)equip them.
            > Another thing I frequently have to do is 'upgrading items', e.g. from Ring
            > of Protection +2 to Ring of Protection +3. Currently this means removing
            > the ROP+2, switching tabs, selling it, buying the ROP+3, switching tabs
            > again, equipping it. Being able to select an item and upgrade it would be
            > very helpful. But I don't think it's that easy to implement since I don't
            > know of a way to determine what procedes what in the 'upgrade' tree. Or is
            > there a tag for that?
            >
            > There are probably some other things that could be improved too. With our
            > current campaign (L16) I find that updating the equipment takes far more
            > time than updating everything else. The tab switching does indeed get
            > annoying.

            Yes, it could definitely be much easier to use.

            andrew
          • Phantom Of Krankor
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 18, 2007
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Wilson <andrew@...> wrote:

              > I use more than one equip set, but only to separate items. Stuff I'm
              > wearing/carrying that's affecting my stats/skills/attacks/whatever in
              > some way goes in the default set, everything else goes in one of the
              > other sets.

              This is what I use it for as well. I have my base items, but
              there's a chunk of a campaign that I play in where you can't bring in
              metal items, so I have a separate equipset for my gear there. But
              it's a hassle to do double-maintentance on the rest of my gear.

              -Greg G
            • Kent P
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 18, 2007
                I've often thought a nice alternative with EQ sets would be the ability to
                duplicate a set with a new name, so that a core set could be maintained,
                then readily copied to create sets for specific circumstances like "away
                from horse," "Out of armour," or "backpack left behind" etc. As it is, each
                of these must be built separately, then every new item added or old one
                removed has to be dealt with multiple times.

                Kent

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 18, 2007
                  Even the addition of an "Add to all sets" and/or "remove from all sets"
                  choice in equipping would be handy.

                  Kent

                • Eddy Anthony
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 18, 2007
                    On 4/18/07 9:53 AM, "Kent P" <kentpollard@...> wrote:

                    > I've often thought a nice alternative with EQ sets would be the ability to
                    > duplicate a set with a new name, so that a core set could be maintained,
                    > then readily copied to create sets for specific circumstances like "away
                    > from horse," "Out of armour," or "backpack left behind" etc. As it is, each
                    > of these must be built separately, then every new item added or old one
                    > removed has to be dealt with multiple times.

                    Oh, that's excellent! I second that one.
                    --
                    ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                  • Chuck Pint
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 18, 2007
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Phantom Of Krankor" <torcha.geo@...> wrote:

                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Wilson <andrew@> wrote:
                      >
                      > > I use more than one equip set, but only to separate items. Stuff I'm
                      > > wearing/carrying that's affecting my stats/skills/attacks/whatever in
                      > > some way goes in the default set, everything else goes in one of the
                      > > other sets.
                      >
                      > This is what I use it for as well. I have my base items, but
                      > there's a chunk of a campaign that I play in where you can't bring in
                      > metal items, so I have a separate equipset for my gear there. But
                      > it's a hassle to do double-maintentance on the rest of my gear.

                      One thing that PCGen does not do well with equipment is the concept of
                      "borrowed" equipment. Quite often someone will end up with a new item,
                      that either they can't use, or is not as good as one they already
                      have. So they loan it to another party member who can't afford to pay
                      for it. It drives me nuts to keep track of this in PCGen. The best
                      I've been able to do so far is put it in container that's like an
                      infinite bag of holding that's named "on loan". Don't laugh, it's the
                      best I can do to make it list on the character sheet, have zero
                      weight, and mark it clearly all at the same time.

                      Chuck
                    • Tir Gwaith
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 18, 2007
                        Wow, didn't know I was opening up a can of worms with equipment
                        tracking. Guess we're going to need some solid work there in the
                        future.

                        As an update, I recently implemented after approval on of the FReqs
                        mentioned in the original email:
                        [ 1703302 ] Dynamic DESC for Combat Expertise and Power Attack

                        Any comments on the 'Avoid Feint' skill use enhancement? I can do it
                        for my own use, but I'd rather hear from other users before moving it
                        mainstream.

                        PCGen LST Chimp
                      • ovka
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 19, 2007
                          >The best
                          >I've been able to do so far is put it in container that's like an
                          >infinite bag of holding that's named "on loan". Don't laugh, it's the
                          >best I can do to make it list on the character sheet, have zero
                          >weight, and mark it clearly all at the same time.

                          Laugh about a clever work around? Why? I have a very similar piece of
                          equipment called "Left Behind" for those items that the character
                          routinely leaves at home.

                          Cheers,

                          Sir George Anonymous
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 25, 2007
                            Historical Thread walking:

                            Did this get trackered/FREQ missed?

                            Eddy Anthony wrote:
                            > On 4/18/07 9:53 AM, "Kent P" <kentpollard@...> wrote:
                            >

                            >> I've often thought a nice alternative with EQ sets would be the ability to
                            >> duplicate a set with a new name, so that a core set could be maintained,
                            >> then readily copied to create sets for specific circumstances like "away
                            >> from horse," "Out of armour," or "backpack left behind" etc. As it is, each
                            >> of these must be built separately, then every new item added or old one
                            >> removed has to be dealt with multiple times.
                            >>

                            > Oh, that's excellent! I second that one.

                          • Tom Parker
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 25, 2007

                              > Historical Thread walking:
                              >
                              > Did this get trackered/FREQ missed?

                              When in doubt, FREQ it and we can dupe remove as we do roadmaps.
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 25, 2007
                                FREQs:

                                [ 1725942 ] Duplicate Set with a new name

                                https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1725942&group_id=25576&atid=384722

                                [ 1725943 ] Display Armor Check Penalty Sources [Equip or Encumbrance]

                                https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1725943&group_id=25576&atid=384722

                                [ 1725944 ] Quickly remove items completely from character

                                https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1725944&group_id=25576&atid=384722

                                [ 1725945 ] Combat Expertise clarification

                                https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1725945&group_id=25576&atid=384722

                                [ 1725946 ] Subskill for Sense Motive use to avoid being Flat-footed

                                https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1725946&group_id=25576&atid=384722

                                [ 1725947 ] MULTIPART - Code, TAG [Upgrading Items]

                                https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1725947&group_id=25576&atid=384722

                                [ 1725948 ] Renaming Bought Equipment

                                https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1725948&group_id=25576&atid=384722

                                [ 1725949 ] Borrowed Equipment & ADD/Remove from all Sets

                                https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1725949&group_id=25576&atid=384722

                                Ok, I think that covers all the FREQs in this thread.

                                -Andrew
                                TM - Lemur