Re: [pcgen] Re: What is the purpose of NUMSLOTS in equipmentslots.lst?

  • Frank Kliewe
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 17, 2007
      On 17 Apr 2007 12:14:16 -0700, Jay <jelmore49@...> wrote:

      > I went back and looked, and you're right. It's right below a EQSLOT
      > line that uses NUMBER:HANDS, and I must've jumped lines in my mind.
      >
      > So to sum up, the NUMSLOTS:DEFAULT line effectively says a character
      > has one head, two hands, one torso, and two legs. (And, apparently, a
      > shield).
      >
      > The EQSLOT lines says that the Eyes EQSLOT can hold one Eyegear item,
      > and there is one Eyes slot per HEAD.
      >
      > Since the rules state that a PC can only equip two rings by default,
      > it was decided to tie it to NUMBER:TORSO instead of NUMBER:HANDS. But
      > it could have just as easily been decided to add RINGS:2 to the
      > NUMSLOTS:DEFAULT line, and set the EQSLOT line to:
      >
      > EQSLOT:Fingers CONTAINS:Ring=1 NUMBER:RINGS
      >
      > and have exactly the same effect.
      >
      > Jay

      Well the gamemode files developed over time. I would imagine that at
      some time the values that NUMBER could take were hardcoded, and that
      the person who coded that bit was thereby forced to use TORSO.

      If you take a look at the modern gamemode, you will see that these
      days the NUMBER tag will even use a direct number, as the Vehicle slot
      there is using NUMBER:1, so with your own gamemode you should even be
      able to use: EQSLOT:Fingers CONTAINS:Ring=1 NUMBER:2 - without the
      need to define a default RINGS numslot.

      Cheerio,

      Frank Kliewe
      PCGen Content Silverback

      --
      I don't make things difficult. That's the way they get, all by themselves.
      (Martin Riggs in "Lethal Weapon", 1986)