Re: Re: [pcgen] New csheet

  • Brad Stiles
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 9, 2007
      Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

      > Let me ask you something, I've seen the <br style="page-break-after:
      > always" /> tag in our sheets and have wondered what specifically it
      > is supposed to do. I have never seen it cause any page breaks for me,
      > this sheet for example prints the Weapon prof block and the unarmed
      > block at the bottom of the first page (after the page break tag) and
      > then breaks to go on with the rest on the next page.
      >
      > Does this work for you? If so maybe it's just not working on the Mac.

      IIRC (it's been a couple of years since I delved into CSS), that particular style is only *supposed* (and may not even be *required*, but it's been too long for me to remember) to work on certain types of elements, I think only block elements. I don't think <br /> is a block level element, so a standards compliant browser isn't required to, and arguably should *not*, implement that behavior for it.

      If you have the elements after which you want to page break in a <div />, you should be able to add that style to that div and it should output the page break, rather than inserting a <br /> for the sole purpose of causing a page break.
    • Jeremy Turnley
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 9, 2007
        Eddie, what version of OSX are you running? On versions prior to
        Tiger, Safari didn't follow CSS (and other standards) very tightly, and
        the result was a lot of pages not working as expected, even when they
        did work in other Mozilla-based browsers (namely, Opera and Firefox).
        The version that shipped with Tiger fixed MOST of these issues, but
        it's possible that this is one that slipped through.

        This is the thing that hardly ever gets mentioned about OSX; the
        default browser was literally broken in Panther and Jaguar, and Apple's
        only fix was to make users buy Tiger rather than update it to the
        version that came with it. Which is why 90% of Mac users use Firefox
        now, even under Tiger....
      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 9, 2007
          Jeremy Turnley scribed:

          > Eddie, what version of OSX are you running? On versions prior to
          > Tiger, Safari didn't follow CSS (and other standards) very tightly, and
          > the result was a lot of pages not working as expected, even when they
          > did work in other Mozilla-based browsers (namely, Opera and Firefox).
          > The version that shipped with Tiger fixed MOST of these issues, but
          > it's possible that this is one that slipped through.

          I'm using the current version of Tiger, have to to get java 1.5.
          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        • Tir Gwaith
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 9, 2007
            > This is the thing that hardly ever gets mentioned about OSX; the
            > default browser was literally broken in Panther and Jaguar, and Apple's
            > only fix was to make users buy Tiger rather than update it to the
            > version that came with it. Which is why 90% of Mac users use Firefox
            > now, even under Tiger....

            Interesting to find out. My parents recently got Macs, and I
            installed Firefox for them with the same extensions they had on their
            old Windows machine. Mostly for the AdBlockPlus extension, since they
            can't stand all the flashing ads on most pages, and Safari didn't
            block them...

            PCGen LST Chimp
          • Eddy Anthony
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 9, 2007
              Richard Bowers scribed:

              >> It works in Firefox, must be a failing of Safari.
              >
              > Depends on your point of view (i.e., is it a failing that something
              > supports the standards, instead of Microsoft's house rules? Sounds
              > like time for another psionics discussion) - Apple says that it
              > supports always-page-break-after as of Safari version 1.2.
              > (http://developer.apple.com/internet/safari/safari_css.html), per the
              > standards.
              >
              > The standards, though, say that CSS property is only applicable to
              > block level elements. BR isn't a block level element. (P, for
              > paragraph, is). I don't have an Apple to test this on right now, so I
              > can't say that it works any better for a P than for a BR, but it
              > doesn't look like that's a bug in safari.

              I think you are dead on. I changed this:

              To this:

              And then it works as expected in Safari. Thanks for the pointer, I think we
              should get our OS's to use the standard.
              --
              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            • Jay
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 10, 2007
                I downloaded it and it looks great for an HTML sheet. (I'm not
                knocking the HTML sheets at all, it's just that now that I have a
                MacBook to use PCGen on the wait for generating PDFs is like 2-3
                seconds, so I'm getting spoiled...)

                I was thinking doing my own sheet with a similar arrangement, only
                swapping your page 2 with your page 4. The idea was to do a 4-page
                11x17 portfolio like WotC's Deluxe character sheets. It would be easy
                to reference the abilities, skills and weapon info on the first and
                last page by simply flipping the booklet over, while special
                abilities, feats, class features, etc. would be on the inside. Spells,
                of course, would be their own booklet (or tome, depending on how many
                spells your class gets).

                Jay (=

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@...> wrote:

                > I just uploaded a new csheet file to the main PCGen file area. A
                friend of
                > mine asked me to create it for him and I thought there might be others
                > interested in it too.
                >
                > It's a new arrangement of all the old stuff. :p
                >
                > Page 1: Basic character info (abilities, AC, HP, Checks, Basic
                Attack info,
                > Initiative) and skills
                > Page 2: Weapon Proficiencies, Weapons
                > Page 3: Feats & Special Abilities
                > Page 4: Equipment, Companions, Turning Blocks, etc
                > Page 5-:Spells, Bio, Notes
                >
                > Give it a whirl and let me know what you think.
                >
                > Barak

                4/5/2007
                > 3:33 PM

              • Jeffrey Brent McBeth
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 10, 2007
                  On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 03:09:02PM -0000, Jay wrote:
                  > I was thinking doing my own sheet with a similar arrangement, only
                  > swapping your page 2 with your page 4. The idea was to do a 4-page
                  > 11x17 portfolio like WotC's Deluxe character sheets. It would be easy
                  > to reference the abilities, skills and weapon info on the first and
                  > last page by simply flipping the booklet over, while special
                  > abilities, feats, class features, etc. would be on the inside. Spells,
                  > of course, would be their own booklet (or tome, depending on how many
                  > spells your class gets).

                  It would be interesting to try to put together a csheet suitable for
                  PocketModding (8 pages).