New csheet

  • Barak
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 6 9:21 PM
      I just uploaded a new csheet file to the main PCGen file area. A friend of
      mine asked me to create it for him and I thought there might be others
      interested in it too.

      It’s a new arrangement of all the old stuff. :p

      Page 1: Basic character info (abilities, AC, HP, Checks, Basic Attack info,
      Initiative) and skills
      Page 2: Weapon Proficiencies, Weapons
      Page 3: Feats & Special Abilities
      Page 4: Equipment, Companions, Turning Blocks, etc
      Page 5-:Spells, Bio, Notes

      Give it a whirl and let me know what you think.

      Barak

      3:33 PM
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 7 1:03 PM
        Barak scribed:

        > I just uploaded a new csheet file to the main PCGen file area. A friend of
        > mine asked me to create it for him and I thought there might be others
        > interested in it too.
        >
        > It¹s a new arrangement of all the old stuff. :p
        >
        > Page 1: Basic character info (abilities, AC, HP, Checks, Basic Attack info,
        > Initiative) and skills
        > Page 2: Weapon Proficiencies, Weapons
        > Page 3: Feats & Special Abilities
        > Page 4: Equipment, Companions, Turning Blocks, etc
        > Page 5-:Spells, Bio, Notes
        >
        > Give it a whirl and let me know what you think.

        I like the basic arrangement, particularly the double columned skill list.

        However the skill block and the weapon blocks seem to be set to a specific
        number leaving lots of blanks, I'd prefer that to be dynamic.

        Also the right column next to the weapons appears to be unused, I tested it
        with a Default Baylor so maybe the space is used for options it doesn't
        have.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      • Barak
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 7 1:27 PM
          > However the skill block and the weapon blocks seem to be set to a
          > specific number leaving lots of blanks, I'd prefer that to be dynamic.

          They're set to use all the space available on the particular page they are
          on (my friend's game uses *lots* of skills/subskills, most not even from the
          standard books).

          > Also the right column next to the weapons appears to be unused, I
          > tested it with a Default Baylor so maybe the space is used for options it
          doesn't
          > have.

          That's for more weapons. :p Load up a fighter with 9 weapons and see what
          happens.

          The basic thought was to give enough space for everything without splitting
          it across pages (whatever that particular thing might be), or an excess
          amount causing a runover of the pages that was not intended... The most
          common offenders in these areas are the skills table and weapons, so those
          got a lot more area than they previously had (the skills got the whole
          bottom of the front page and the weapons the whole second page).

          I will concede however, that it does make it look somewhat sparse on the
          weapons page if you only carry a couple of weapons.

          I'll ponder some and see if I can come up with an elegant way to eliminate
          that white space on the weapons page without having the aforementioned
          runover issue. I'm afraid the skills area is stuck as it is... if you print
          all skills, there still isn't enough room (there's room for 64 to be shown
          right now).

          Barak

          PS: Thanks for taking a look.

          9:30 PM
        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 8 1:46 PM
            Barak scribed:

            > The basic thought was to give enough space for everything without splitting
            > it across pages (whatever that particular thing might be), or an excess
            > amount causing a runover of the pages that was not intended... The most
            > common offenders in these areas are the skills table and weapons, so those
            > got a lot more area than they previously had (the skills got the whole
            > bottom of the front page and the weapons the whole second page).

            Let me ask you something, I've seen the <br style="page-break-after: always"
            /> tag in our sheets and have wondered what specifically it is supposed to
            do. I have never seen it cause any page breaks for me, this sheet for
            example prints the Weapon prof block and the unarmed block at the bottom of
            the first page (after the page break tag) and then breaks to go on with the
            rest on the next page.

            Does this work for you? If so maybe it's just not working on the Mac.

            > Barak
            >
            > PS: Thanks for taking a look.

            No prob :)
            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          • Barak
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 8 2:49 PM
              > Let me ask you something, I've seen the <br style="page-break-after:
              > always"/> tag in our sheets and have wondered what specifically it is
              supposed
              > to do. I have never seen it cause any page breaks for me, this sheet for
              > example prints the Weapon prof block and the unarmed block at the
              > bottom of the first page (after the page break tag) and then breaks to go
              on with
              > the rest on the next page.

              > Does this work for you? If so maybe it's just not working on the Mac.

              Works fine for me here. Whatever happens after one of those occurs on a new
              page for me when printed (or print previewed).

              What browser are you using to view it? (Not that I know *anything* about
              Mac browsers... :p)

              Barak

              10:57 PM
            • Eddy Anthony
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 8 2:57 PM
                Barak scribed:

                >> Let me ask you something, I've seen the <br style="page-break-after:
                >> always"/> tag in our sheets and have wondered what specifically it is
                > supposed
                >> to do. I have never seen it cause any page breaks for me, this sheet for
                >> example prints the Weapon prof block and the unarmed block at the
                >> bottom of the first page (after the page break tag) and then breaks to go
                > on with
                >> the rest on the next page.
                >
                >> Does this work for you? If so maybe it's just not working on the Mac.
                >
                > Works fine for me here. Whatever happens after one of those occurs on a new
                > page for me when printed (or print previewed).
                >
                > What browser are you using to view it? (Not that I know *anything* about
                > Mac browsers... :p)

                Safari, the standard browser from Apple. I'll check and see if I get the
                same thing from IE and Firefox, might tell us if the issue is the browser or
                something at the system/printing level.
                --
                ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              • Eddy Anthony
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 8 4:21 PM
                  Eddy Anthony scribed:

                  >> Works fine for me here. Whatever happens after one of those occurs on a new
                  >> page for me when printed (or print previewed).
                  >>
                  >> What browser are you using to view it? (Not that I know *anything* about
                  >> Mac browsers... :p)
                  >
                  > Safari, the standard browser from Apple. I'll check and see if I get the
                  > same thing from IE and Firefox, might tell us if the issue is the browser or
                  > something at the system/printing level.

                  Microsoft stopped developing IE for Mac and the last version I have does not
                  even load the sheet.

                  It works in Firefox, must be a failing of Safari.
                  --
                  ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                • Richard Bowers
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 8 5:40 PM
                    On 4/8/07, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:
                    > Eddy Anthony scribed:
                    >
                    > Microsoft stopped developing IE for Mac and the last version I have does not
                    > even load the sheet.
                    >
                    > It works in Firefox, must be a failing of Safari.

                    Depends on your point of view (i.e., is it a failing that something
                    supports the standards, instead of Microsoft's house rules? Sounds
                    like time for another psionics discussion) - Apple says that it
                    supports always-page-break-after as of Safari version 1.2.
                    (http://developer.apple.com/internet/safari/safari_css.html), per the
                    standards.

                    The standards, though, say that CSS property is only applicable to
                    block level elements. BR isn't a block level element. (P, for
                    paragraph, is). I don't have an Apple to test this on right now, so I
                    can't say that it works any better for a P than for a BR, but it
                    doesn't look like that's a bug in safari.
                  • Brad Stiles
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 9 5:30 AM
                      Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

                      > Let me ask you something, I've seen the <br style="page-break-after:
                      > always" /> tag in our sheets and have wondered what specifically it
                      > is supposed to do. I have never seen it cause any page breaks for me,
                      > this sheet for example prints the Weapon prof block and the unarmed
                      > block at the bottom of the first page (after the page break tag) and
                      > then breaks to go on with the rest on the next page.
                      >
                      > Does this work for you? If so maybe it's just not working on the Mac.

                      IIRC (it's been a couple of years since I delved into CSS), that particular style is only *supposed* (and may not even be *required*, but it's been too long for me to remember) to work on certain types of elements, I think only block elements. I don't think <br /> is a block level element, so a standards compliant browser isn't required to, and arguably should *not*, implement that behavior for it.

                      If you have the elements after which you want to page break in a <div />, you should be able to add that style to that div and it should output the page break, rather than inserting a <br /> for the sole purpose of causing a page break.
                    • Jeremy Turnley
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 9 3:14 PM
                        Eddie, what version of OSX are you running? On versions prior to
                        Tiger, Safari didn't follow CSS (and other standards) very tightly, and
                        the result was a lot of pages not working as expected, even when they
                        did work in other Mozilla-based browsers (namely, Opera and Firefox).
                        The version that shipped with Tiger fixed MOST of these issues, but
                        it's possible that this is one that slipped through.

                        This is the thing that hardly ever gets mentioned about OSX; the
                        default browser was literally broken in Panther and Jaguar, and Apple's
                        only fix was to make users buy Tiger rather than update it to the
                        version that came with it. Which is why 90% of Mac users use Firefox
                        now, even under Tiger....
                      • Eddy Anthony
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 9 3:21 PM
                          Jeremy Turnley scribed:

                          > Eddie, what version of OSX are you running? On versions prior to
                          > Tiger, Safari didn't follow CSS (and other standards) very tightly, and
                          > the result was a lot of pages not working as expected, even when they
                          > did work in other Mozilla-based browsers (namely, Opera and Firefox).
                          > The version that shipped with Tiger fixed MOST of these issues, but
                          > it's possible that this is one that slipped through.

                          I'm using the current version of Tiger, have to to get java 1.5.
                          --
                          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                        • Tir Gwaith
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 9 3:26 PM
                            > This is the thing that hardly ever gets mentioned about OSX; the
                            > default browser was literally broken in Panther and Jaguar, and Apple's
                            > only fix was to make users buy Tiger rather than update it to the
                            > version that came with it. Which is why 90% of Mac users use Firefox
                            > now, even under Tiger....

                            Interesting to find out. My parents recently got Macs, and I
                            installed Firefox for them with the same extensions they had on their
                            old Windows machine. Mostly for the AdBlockPlus extension, since they
                            can't stand all the flashing ads on most pages, and Safari didn't
                            block them...

                            PCGen LST Chimp
                          • Eddy Anthony
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 9 3:27 PM
                              Richard Bowers scribed:

                              >> It works in Firefox, must be a failing of Safari.
                              >
                              > Depends on your point of view (i.e., is it a failing that something
                              > supports the standards, instead of Microsoft's house rules? Sounds
                              > like time for another psionics discussion) - Apple says that it
                              > supports always-page-break-after as of Safari version 1.2.
                              > (http://developer.apple.com/internet/safari/safari_css.html), per the
                              > standards.
                              >
                              > The standards, though, say that CSS property is only applicable to
                              > block level elements. BR isn't a block level element. (P, for
                              > paragraph, is). I don't have an Apple to test this on right now, so I
                              > can't say that it works any better for a P than for a BR, but it
                              > doesn't look like that's a bug in safari.

                              I think you are dead on. I changed this:

                              To this:

                              And then it works as expected in Safari. Thanks for the pointer, I think we
                              should get our OS's to use the standard.
                              --
                              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                            • Jay
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 10 8:09 AM
                                I downloaded it and it looks great for an HTML sheet. (I'm not
                                knocking the HTML sheets at all, it's just that now that I have a
                                MacBook to use PCGen on the wait for generating PDFs is like 2-3
                                seconds, so I'm getting spoiled...)

                                I was thinking doing my own sheet with a similar arrangement, only
                                swapping your page 2 with your page 4. The idea was to do a 4-page
                                11x17 portfolio like WotC's Deluxe character sheets. It would be easy
                                to reference the abilities, skills and weapon info on the first and
                                last page by simply flipping the booklet over, while special
                                abilities, feats, class features, etc. would be on the inside. Spells,
                                of course, would be their own booklet (or tome, depending on how many
                                spells your class gets).

                                Jay (=

                                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@...> wrote:

                                > I just uploaded a new csheet file to the main PCGen file area. A
                                friend of
                                > mine asked me to create it for him and I thought there might be others
                                > interested in it too.
                                >
                                > It's a new arrangement of all the old stuff. :p
                                >
                                > Page 1: Basic character info (abilities, AC, HP, Checks, Basic
                                Attack info,
                                > Initiative) and skills
                                > Page 2: Weapon Proficiencies, Weapons
                                > Page 3: Feats & Special Abilities
                                > Page 4: Equipment, Companions, Turning Blocks, etc
                                > Page 5-:Spells, Bio, Notes
                                >
                                > Give it a whirl and let me know what you think.
                                >
                                > Barak

                                4/5/2007
                                > 3:33 PM

                              • Jeffrey Brent McBeth
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 10 8:33 AM
                                  On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 03:09:02PM -0000, Jay wrote:
                                  > I was thinking doing my own sheet with a similar arrangement, only
                                  > swapping your page 2 with your page 4. The idea was to do a 4-page
                                  > 11x17 portfolio like WotC's Deluxe character sheets. It would be easy
                                  > to reference the abilities, skills and weapon info on the first and
                                  > last page by simply flipping the booklet over, while special
                                  > abilities, feats, class features, etc. would be on the inside. Spells,
                                  > of course, would be their own booklet (or tome, depending on how many
                                  > spells your class gets).

                                  It would be interesting to try to put together a csheet suitable for
                                  PocketModding (8 pages).