Temporary bonuses

  • krazhit
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 4, 2007
      Hi all,

      First of all I would like to ask you, the users, if you use temporary
      bonuses at all? (They can be oh so useful in this bookkeeping mess
      DnD has become :).

      Second, if you use it, does it not bother you that they are
      automatically turned on when you load your character? Making the
      Output Sheet and Preview pane nigh impossible to use until you
      deselect all the temp bonuses.
    • bebberd
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 4, 2007
        >First of all I would like to ask you, the users, if you use temporary
        >bonuses at all? (They can be oh so useful in this bookkeeping mess
        >DnD has become :).

        I would use the heck out of this feature, but seeing how I usually get most of my MAGIC temporary bonuses from potions or companions casting upon me (which means I don't have the spell on my list typically), and the PSIONIC temporary bonuses haven't yet been coded, using this feature requires me to recode the RSRD files each time I upgrade.

        As an aside Psionic Focus could (and probably should) also be implemented as a Temporary Bonus, along with the other Psionic feats that require it to give a bonus.... thus if you had the "Speed of Thought" and "Psionic Dodge" Feats (and Temporary Bonuses) selected, the act of turning on your "Psionic Focus" Temporary Bonus would boost your movement rate, and bestow the +1 dodge bonus.

        >Second, if you use it, does it not bother you that they are
        >automatically turned on when you load your character? Making the
        >Output Sheet and Preview pane nigh impossible to use until you
        >deselect all the temp bonuses.

        I would prefer that Temporary bonuses defaulted to OFF... or even better, had a selectable switch for each bonus, allowing the user to select whether a specific bonus defaulted to ON or OFF.

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com
      • Koen Van Daele
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 4, 2007
          > I would use the heck out of this feature, but seeing how I usually get
          > most of my MAGIC temporary bonuses from potions or companions casting upon
          > me (which means I don't have the spell on my list typically), and the
          > PSIONIC temporary bonuses haven't yet been coded, using this feature
          > requires me to recode the RSRD files each time I upgrade.

          I'm pretty sure at least some of them have been coded (for the powers at
          least). I've got a Monk with an innate Inertial Armor. There was a problem
          though that something like Inertial Armor only showed up if you had it as
          a spell/power but not as a spell-like ability. I fixed that one in one of
          the later 5.11 releases. At the time I looked at the powers lists and a
          fair number of them had temp bonusses.

          Greetings,
          Koen
        • bebberd
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 4, 2007
            Well yes I did just look at them, and there are about 15 powers with Temps on them, my mistake... but of them the only one that is usable by PCs without the power in their list is Inflict Pain, and that's only Temporary Penalties.

            The following are prime candidates for temp bonuses.
            Biofeedback (DR 2/-)
            Compression (AKA: Reduce Person, Psionic)
            Darkvision, Psionic (Need I say more?)
            Oak Body (So good I can't beleive it's not there!)
            Skate (+15' to movement, and a second +15' if Skating downhill)

            Also, as I've said before, all of these powers should all be PREAPPLY:ANYPC (at least up to 3rd Level) as they can be bought in Tattoo form even if their range is Personal.

            >> I would use the heck out of this feature, but seeing how I usually get
            >> most of my MAGIC temporary bonuses from potions or companions casting upon
            >> me (which means I don't have the spell on my list typically), and the
            >> PSIONIC temporary bonuses haven't yet been coded, using this feature
            >> requires me to recode the RSRD files each time I upgrade.
            >
            >I'm pretty sure at least some of them have been coded (for the powers at
            >least). I've got a Monk with an innate Inertial Armor. There was a problem
            >though that something like Inertial Armor only showed up if you had it as
            >a spell/power but not as a spell-like ability. I fixed that one in one of
            >the later 5.11 releases. At the time I looked at the powers lists and a
            >fair number of them had temp bonusses.
            >
            >Greetings,
            >Koen
            >

            >PCGen's Release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net
            >PCGen's Wiki: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Welcome
            >PCGen's Roadmap: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Roadmap
            >PCGen's Alpha Build: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php
            >PCGen's Online Docs: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/
            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            PeoplePC Online
            A better way to Internet
            http://www.peoplepc.com
          • Tir Gwaith
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 4, 2007
              > Also, as I've said before, all of these powers should all be PREAPPLY:ANYPC (at least up to 3rd Level) as they can be bought in Tattoo form even if their range is Personal.

              I'm willing to concede that in a Tattoo object. Not from the power
              directly. Character has Tattoo, can apply.

              PCGen LST Chimp
            • krazhit
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 4, 2007
                > using this feature requires me to recode the RSRD files each time I
                > upgrade.

                There I can help.
                Just do a .MOD in your custom files... like:
                Resistance.MOD
                BONUS:CHECKS|Fortitude,Reflex,Will|1|TYPE=Resistance|PREAPPLY:ANYPC

                I keep my custom files in a completely different folder, and point to
                them via the "PCGen Vendor Data Directory"
              • krazhit
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 4, 2007
                  > I would prefer that Temporary bonuses defaulted to OFF... or even
                  better, had a selectable switch for each bonus, allowing the user to
                  select whether a specific bonus defaulted to ON or OFF.

                  That is my thought exactly, there has been an open tracker for this
                  functionality for a while now, but it keeps getting pushed back.
                  [ 1507714 ] Remember PREAPPLY status in Preview tab

                  I would like to attempt, in the vain hope that many actually use this
                  superb feature of PCGen to rally support for pushing it up the schedule.
                  To be perfectly honest the current implementation is starting to
                  retract from my enjoyment of using this great program.
                • Nigel Bennington
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 14, 2007
                    Yep, I use them.

                    I print out a character sheet with no bonuses, then the front page
                    (stats & combat) for various common buff spells, so I have the numbers
                    readily to hand.

                    As an aside, it would be nice to be able to label an outputsheet, rather
                    than write the mods list in pen afterwords :)

                    Coromir.