Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Loading RSRD sources, what am _I_ doing wrong.

Expand Messages
  • pclyne67
    I ve got a problem when I load RSRD sources. It must be something I m doing wrong as i can find no other mention of this problem... From a clean start
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 19, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      I've got a problem when I load RSRD sources. It must be something I'm
      doing wrong as i can find no other mention of this problem...

      From a 'clean' start (Version 5.10.2) I select RSRD from the top of
      the expanded list (not the RSRD word with the expansion mark beside
      it) and then hit load..Build characters and all _seems_ right with the
      world

      Finish with program and shut down.

      Start again another day and "sources" now contains all the sources
      under the RSRD 'tag'. This includes various sorces that include the
      phrase "this should not be loaded with any other RSRD sets" {Campaign
      set core books I and II for example}.

      Have I turned on some option I shouldn't have? Am I being overly
      concerned? Am I just too stupid to see the 'only load one source'
      tick box in the options menu?

      Help..

      Please...
    • Andrew Maitland
      Hi, ... You aren t doing anything wrong. Sources on the LEFT Pane including RSRD have a + sign next to them. The Name is like a Folder containing the actual
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 19, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        Hi,

        pclyne67 wrote:
        > I've got a problem when I load RSRD sources. It must be something I'm
        > doing wrong as i can find no other mention of this problem...
        >
        > >From a 'clean' start (Version 5.10.2) I select RSRD from the top of
        > the expanded list (not the RSRD word with the expansion mark beside
        > it) and then hit load..Build characters and all _seems_ right with the
        > world
        >
        > Finish with program and shut down.
        >
        > Start again another day and "sources" now contains all the sources
        > under the RSRD 'tag'. This includes various sorces that include the
        > phrase "this should not be loaded with any other RSRD sets" {Campaign
        > set core books I and II for example}.
        >
        > Have I turned on some option I shouldn't have? Am I being overly
        > concerned? Am I just too stupid to see the 'only load one source'
        > tick box in the options menu?
        >
        > Help..
        >
        > Please...
        >
        You aren't doing anything wrong. Sources on the LEFT Pane including RSRD
        have a + sign next to them. The Name is like a Folder containing the
        actual campaign files. If you click on the 'folder' it will expand and
        show all the campaign and supplements for that publisher or setting.
        For RSRD, I suggest using 'RSRD Complete' as that will load everything
        included in the RSRD. The other options are if you want to be more
        'selective' in what you load, say perhaps you don't want to see
        psionics, or perhaps you don't want any monsters, those are optional
        choices to be loaded.

        After you select the 'RSRD Complete' it should appear in the right pane
        and the option to load sources will be available. Create and save PC &
        NPC to your hearts content.

        Cheers,

        Andrew Maitland
        Lemur of Data, Docs and Trackering
      • pclyne67
        ... I obviously didn t make my inital set-up clear (what you suggesting I do above, is what I was trying to explain was happening..) To try again:- 1)Open a
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 20, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:
          >
          > You aren't doing anything wrong. Sources on the LEFT Pane including RSRD
          > have a + sign next to them. The Name is like a Folder containing the
          > actual campaign files. If you click on the 'folder' it will expand and
          > show all the campaign and supplements for that publisher or setting.
          > For RSRD, I suggest using 'RSRD Complete' as that will load everything
          > included in the RSRD. The other options are if you want to be more
          > 'selective' in what you load, say perhaps you don't want to see
          > psionics, or perhaps you don't want any monsters, those are optional
          > choices to be loaded.
          >
          > After you select the 'RSRD Complete' it should appear in the right pane
          > and the option to load sources will be available. Create and save PC &
          > NPC to your hearts content.
          >
          > Cheers,

          I obviously didn't make my inital set-up clear (what you suggesting I
          do above, is what I was trying to explain was happening..)

          To try again:-

          1)Open a new 'clean' PCGen 5.10.2 (windows)
          2)On Left Pane open the RSRD 'folder' (they look more like "0--"
          symbols than '+" to me {possible graphics card issues?}} doesn't matter...
          3a)Note I can not find a "RSRD Complete" set you describe
          3b)Select item "RSD Campain Set - No Psionics" from Left Pane {this
          entry now moves to the right hand pane.
          4)Close PCGen (even re-power PC to check Java wasn't leaving some for
          of artefact in memeory)
          5)Restart PCGen
          6)Consult Sources page :- ALL RSRD sources (not just the single item I
          selected) appear in the Right hand pane...
          7)Look confused.....


          Thanks for your help so far..Got any other ideas i can try?
        • Tir Gwaith
          ... How are you closing PCgen? File exit, or the X box in the top right? Or collapsing the thread from the Dos screen? Try using File Exit , since that
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 20, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            On 3/20/07, pclyne67 <pclyne67@...> wrote:
            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > You aren't doing anything wrong. Sources on the LEFT Pane including RSRD
            > > have a + sign next to them. The Name is like a Folder containing the
            > > actual campaign files. If you click on the 'folder' it will expand and
            > > show all the campaign and supplements for that publisher or setting.
            > > For RSRD, I suggest using 'RSRD Complete' as that will load everything
            > > included in the RSRD. The other options are if you want to be more
            > > 'selective' in what you load, say perhaps you don't want to see
            > > psionics, or perhaps you don't want any monsters, those are optional
            > > choices to be loaded.
            > >
            > > After you select the 'RSRD Complete' it should appear in the right pane
            > > and the option to load sources will be available. Create and save PC &
            > > NPC to your hearts content.
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            >
            > I obviously didn't make my inital set-up clear (what you suggesting I
            > do above, is what I was trying to explain was happening..)
            >
            > To try again:-
            >
            > 1)Open a new 'clean' PCGen 5.10.2 (windows)
            > 2)On Left Pane open the RSRD 'folder' (they look more like "0--"
            > symbols than '+" to me {possible graphics card issues?}} doesn't matter...
            > 3a)Note I can not find a "RSRD Complete" set you describe
            > 3b)Select item "RSD Campain Set - No Psionics" from Left Pane {this
            > entry now moves to the right hand pane.
            > 4)Close PCGen (even re-power PC to check Java wasn't leaving some for
            > of artefact in memeory)

            How are you closing PCgen? File > exit, or the X box in the top
            right? Or collapsing the thread from the Dos screen?

            Try using File > Exit , since that saves the INI properly.

            --
            Tir Gwaith
            PCGen LST Chimp
          • pclyne67
            ... [snip] ... Have closed using both methods (any times) problem still remains. But not every time... Doesn t seem to be related to method of closure Perhaps
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 29, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:

              [snip]

              > How are you closing PCgen? File > exit, or the X box in the top
              > right? Or collapsing the thread from the Dos screen?
              >
              > Try using File > Exit , since that saves the INI properly.

              Have closed using both methods (any times) problem still remains.

              But not every time... Doesn't seem to be related to method of closure

              Perhaps some other program (or web page using Java?) is somehow
              leaving some sort of artifact that's confusing PCGen.

              Any other ideas would be welcomed (would it help if I posed the ini
              file? or something??)


              Big thanks for the ideas so far.
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.