Creating Legacy Weapons in PC Gen

  • evilistdave
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2007
      Ok first, what is a Legacy Weapon, other than a book that seems to get
      little attention? Legacy Weapons grow more potent as the wielder's
      levels and have escalating drawbacks associated with them. That said I
      come to ye gurus of PC Gen to ask the following. I've written some
      Legacy Weapons for my current campaign. However, I've been unable to
      add a customer weapon or magic item that can simulate them. Is
      something like this even possible? In addition I'm having a hard time
      writing some as just a block of all the bonus as they don't
      necessarily conform to the standard item type. Is there any way to get
      around this?
    • Richard Bowers
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2007
        On 3/4/07, evilistdave <evilistdave@...> wrote:

        > Ok first, what is a Legacy Weapon, other than a book that seems to get
        > little attention? Legacy Weapons grow more potent as the wielder's
        > levels and have escalating drawbacks associated with them. That said I
        > come to ye gurus of PC Gen to ask the following. I've written some
        > Legacy Weapons for my current campaign.

        For questions on how to code list files, please use the PCGenListFileHelp
        group. You might also want to omit the reference to Legacy Weapons, since
        it's borderline on what we're allowed to discuss (you didn't mention the
        specific weapons or mechanics by name, but we try to be super careful). I'll
        give a short answer here, but if you need more details, ask again on
        PCGenListFileHelp.

        There are a couple of ways to create weapons to gain strength over time.
        Before I saw some of the closed content varieties, I mostly did it by adding
        bonuses to the weapons with a prerequisite tag depending on what I wanted
        them based on. For example, I have a sword that is meant for a follower of a
        certain celestial's prestige class. It gains power based on levels gained by
        the wielder in that class. In that case, I actually based it on a variable
        that I know is set by that class, so that if I created spin-off classes
        later, I could
        BONUS:COMBAT|AC|3|TYPE=Natural|PREVARGTEQ:SomePrestigeClassCL,5. In the list
        file docs, you can see examples of tons of different PRE tags that you can
        use for what you want. If you look at the existing magic items, you can find
        the syntax for the bonuses - you just need to add a pipe and then the pre
        tag in most cases.

        There's more than once source that has weapons similar to this. Some of them
        have their own classes, which you can only have if you have the
        corresponding item. In that case, just have the item grant a feat or
        variable, which you have as a prerequisite for the class. Other sources have
        feats that you are eligible for once you get the item - the item would
        contain BONUS:VAR|SomeItemName|1, and the feats would have
        PREVARGTEQ:SomeItemName|1, for this to happen. You can create feats with
        cost of zero (COST:0) if you want people to be able to select them without
        it costing a feat.