[pcgen] character errors

  • Alvise Nicoletti
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2007
      Ah... is it possible to remove all selected skills and re-calculate the
      amount of skill points I can take?

      I chosed the wrong intelligence for a character and I had 7 skills points at
      level (i should have been 6...).

      In this cases, the only way to resolve the problem is to re-create the
      entire character for the beginning?

    • Eric C. Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2007
        Greetings again Alvise.

        What version of PCGen are you using? These instruction work for
        PCGen 5.10.1 so they may not apply to the version that you are
        using. If you aren't using the latest stable version, that being
        5.10.1, we'll know shortly if some thing has changed! :-)

        You wrote:
        > Ah... is it possible to remove all selected skills and re-calculate
        > the
        > amount of skill points I can take?
        You can remove any, or all, skills by simply selecting the skill you
        wish to reduce in the right window and hitting the '<' button until
        the rank is zero.

        Unfortunately, you can't get PCGen to retroactively recalculate the
        skill points per level based upon a correction in stats. You can, on
        the other-hand, adjust the skill points available for each level by
        entering the new point count in the 'Skill Points Left for Class'
        field on the 'Skill' tab. You will have to use the pull down menu to
        select the level you wish to adjust and then enter the new total for
        THAT level in the field just to the right. You do that for each level.

        Unfortunately, PCGen won't let you change the 'Total Skill Points
        Left' field but PCGen bases its skill points available, for skill
        selection, on the level numbers you have just modified, so when you
        reallocate the skill points you will be properly constrained by the
        lower number if you have reduced the point count per level as you
        should when reducing the INT score.

        Unfortunately, again. you will find that after you have changed the
        point counts for each level and then reallocated them, you will get a
        status message on the 'Summary' tab that you have too many skill
        points allocated, that is if you reduced your per level count. If
        you actually increased your count the 'Summary' tab will tell you
        that you have skill points to spend still. If this bothers you, you
        can fix it in one of two ways.

        First) Edit the pcg file to change the per level allocation
        directly. This can be a really bad thing to try. You can really
        mess up the character if you don't know what you are doing. (NOT
        Recommended)

        Second) Re-evolve your character from scratch. (Recommended)

        Hope this helps.

        -Maredudd
      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2007
          I thought there was a 'retro active skill points' preference thing in
          the Preferences panel. Might be able to use that to decrease the # of
          skill points. Never tried...

          PCGen LST Chimp
        • Eric C. Smith
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2007
            > I thought there was a 'retro active skill points' preference thing in
            > the Preferences panel. Might be able to use that to decrease the # of
            > skill points. Never tried...

            I just checked 5.10.1 and 5.11.8 and neither seem to have a 'retro'
            preference for skills.

            There are preference items for enforcing spending of skill points at
            level-up and for bypassing the skill max rank though . . .

            Maredudd