Re: Bugs and enhancement requests

  • John Pyrich
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
      --- In pcgen@egroups.com, mocha@m... wrote:

      >> 3. The weight of club is zero.
      > I don't have my PHB here so I can't verify, but why would a club
      > weight 0?

      Whoops. I *knew* that I'd end up word something poorly. The weight
      of "Club" in the .lst files is zero. It should be 3lbs.

      >> 4. There should be a warning when the Close or Quit button is
      >> clicked.
      > I've thought about doing that. It's simple enough but for me
      > fairly low priority. I'll probably do this at some point but only
      > as a finishing touch, and with the rate new features/bugs come in
      > I doubt I'll ever get there! ;)

      :-) I agree that this is not a priority.

      >> 6. When removing a language which was added using skill points,
      >> the skill points are not added back.

      > This I don't think I'll do. I don't keep track of how you got
      > a Language - due to intelligence or skill. That's partly why
      > I made skill points editable.

      It's not really a priority. However, you definitely want to mention
      it in the Known Issues section of the documentation if you do not fix
      the issue.

      >> 8. Classes should not be included in either the skill.lst or
      >> spell.lst files.

      > From a strictly object-oriented perspective you're correct. It's
      > nice to keep objects as free of dependency on other objects as
      > possible. However that shouldn't be prohibitive.

      I agree.

      > In this case I don't think
      > I'll change because additional files to contains cross-references
      > to the other files would be more confusing and the amount of work
      > would be the same as keeping the class references in the skill and
      > spell lst files.

      Actually adding a class that someone has already created would be a
      *lot* less work with what I propose. You simply cut-and-paste the
      class info into the class.lst, class_skills.lst and class_spells.lst
      files and you're done. The current design makes me manually edit
      every skill and spell for the new class.

      > You'd also have to put in a class_spell.lst file every spell that a
      > cleric can cast and what level it is and so forth for every class,
      > duplicating a lot of spells.

      You'd definitely have more records in that file, but what you lose in
      storage you gain in flexibility.

      >> 10. Half ranks for cross-class skills can not be purchased.

      > Is this permissable? I guess it isn't clear, but I only keep
      > track of ranks. I could make that a float instead of an int, but
      > I didn't think it was allowed in the rules.

      Yes it is permissible. You can buy the half rank, but it does not
      affect any rolls until you get a full rank.

      >> 24. Any weapon of a character's size or larger, wielded two handed
      >> gets 150% STR modifier to damage. Smaller weapons do not get
      >> the bonus.

      > Actually, I think it's only if the weapon is the same size as the
      > character (one handed used with two hands). I thought I had
      > supported this, but maybe not. I'll have to see if it's working.

      It's also the same for two handed weapons as well which would be one
      size greater than the character (e.g. Human w/ Greatsword, Halfling
      with Longsword).

      >> 26. Create multiple sets of Equipped Items so that the appropriate
      >> modifiers can be applied. When equipping, allow the user to
      >> select which hand a weapon will be in.

      > I'm not sure which hand is very important. I'm more interested in
      > the penalties if you fight with two weapons.

      There needs to be a way to designate the off-hand weapon in an
      equipped pair. Perhaps this is just the second weapon added to an
      equipped pair and the program would know based upon that? Other than
      that there's no much need to know other than the few times when a
      character needs to fight with an off hand.

      > What do you mean by appropriate modifiers for multiple sets of
      > equipped items?

      The appropriate modifers would be be different based upon which hand
      (or both) that a weapon is in, feats, and Str/Dex Mods. Examples are
      Two Weapons, Weapon Focus, Weapon Finese, Str Mod (x1 or x1.5?), Dex
      Mod, etc.

      >> 29. Support for Paladin's Mount. Treat as a familiar?

      > Familiars are something I'd like to do, but not a necessity. If I
      > have time... ;)

      I agree, but if you do...

      > Thanks! You've certainly given me a lot to ponder!

      No problem. Thanks for PCgen. It's a great program and I'm sure
      that it's just going to get better.

      John
    • mocha@mcs.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
        --- In pcgen@egroups.com, "John Pyrich" <pyrich@c...> wrote:
        > --- In pcgen@egroups.com, mocha@m... wrote:
        >
        > >> 3. The weight of club is zero.
        > > I don't have my PHB here so I can't verify, but why would a club
        > > weight 0?
        >
        > Whoops. I *knew* that I'd end up word something poorly. The weight
        > of "Club" in the .lst files is zero. It should be 3lbs.

        I'm looking in the equipment.lst file, and a Club as WT:3, which
        is what you say it should be. Are you looking in an older version?

        > >> 8. Classes should not be included in either the skill.lst or
        > >> spell.lst files.
        >
        > > From a strictly object-oriented perspective you're correct. It's
        > > nice to keep objects as free of dependency on other objects as
        > > possible. However that shouldn't be prohibitive.
        >
        > I agree.
        >
        > > In this case I don't think
        > > I'll change because additional files to contains cross-references
        > > to the other files would be more confusing and the amount of work
        > > would be the same as keeping the class references in the skill and
        > > spell lst files.
        >
        > Actually adding a class that someone has already created would be a
        > *lot* less work with what I propose. You simply cut-and-paste the
        > class info into the class.lst, class_skills.lst and class_spells.lst
        > files and you're done. The current design makes me manually edit
        > every skill and spell for the new class.
        >
        > > You'd also have to put in a class_spell.lst file every spell that a
        > > cleric can cast and what level it is and so forth for every class,
        > > duplicating a lot of spells.
        >
        > You'd definitely have more records in that file, but what you lose in
        > storage you gain in flexibility.

        Hm, I'll give it more thought, but I think you've convinced me.
        I don't think this would actually be that hard to do - basically
        stripping out the class string from the skill.lst and spell.lst
        files. I would still need some way in the class_spell.lst file to
        indicate what level each spell is for each class. Maybe you just
        have level lists for each class (0-9) and all spells in the list
        are assumed to be of the same level. It would add two more lst
        files and make the whole shebang somewhat larger in size, but for
        swapping stuff with others it keeps you from having to get a copy
        of the class.lst, skill.lst and spell.lst file when all you really
        want is a class someone else has added. I'll add this to my list,
        though currently I think fixing Bugs and getting the Campaign
        stuff to work are my highest present priorities.

        > >> 10. Half ranks for cross-class skills can not be purchased.
        >
        > > Is this permissable? I guess it isn't clear, but I only keep
        > > track of ranks. I could make that a float instead of an int, but
        > > I didn't think it was allowed in the rules.
        >
        > Yes it is permissible. You can buy the half rank, but it does not
        > affect any rolls until you get a full rank.

        Okay - this is a trivial change, but if it's in the rules, I'll
        make it work.

        > >> 26. Create multiple sets of Equipped Items so that the appropriate
        > >> modifiers can be applied. When equipping, allow the user to
        > >> select which hand a weapon will be in.
        >
        > > I'm not sure which hand is very important. I'm more interested in
        > > the penalties if you fight with two weapons.
        >
        > There needs to be a way to designate the off-hand weapon in an
        > equipped pair. Perhaps this is just the second weapon added to an
        > equipped pair and the program would know based upon that? Other than
        > that there's no much need to know other than the few times when a
        > character needs to fight with an off hand.
        >
        > > What do you mean by appropriate modifiers for multiple sets of
        > > equipped items?
        >
        > The appropriate modifers would be be different based upon which hand
        > (or both) that a weapon is in, feats, and Str/Dex Mods. Examples are
        > Two Weapons, Weapon Focus, Weapon Finese, Str Mod (x1 or x1.5?), Dex
        > Mod, etc.

        Currently PCGen will automatically assign the lighter of the two
        weapons to your off-hand. I think I take into account all the
        relevant Feats and ability mods when determining your modified
        chance to hit when using two weapons, and for using a weapon in
        two hands. Whether or not that logic entirely works is another
        matter... ;)

        Thanks for your insights John! I'm glad you like PCGen and I hope
        you keep giving me good ideas! Just try to keep them to less than
        30 at a time... ;)

        -Bryan
      • Robert Hilson
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
          ok i felt i had to assist in the explanation. if you look at the wizards
          program (i wont even name it) you can select multiple things to fight as. for
          example one set of "stats/info" for fighting bare handed, one for with a staff,
          and one for with a crossbow. this would represent other possipable combat
          situations easily.

          =====
          Robert Hilson
          http://www.bepaid.com/users.rhtml?REFID=11428864

          http://photos.yahoo.com/
        • mocha@mcs.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
            --- In pcgen@egroups.com, Robert Hilson <okuth0r@y...> wrote:
            > ok i felt i had to assist in the explanation. if you look at the wizards
            > program (i wont even name it) you can select multiple things to fight as. for
            > example one set of "stats/info" for fighting bare handed, one for with a staff,
            > and one for with a crossbow. this would represent other possipable combat
            > situations easily.

            Ok - I see what you're getting at. I think what I need to do is
            to provide a way to select what's in each hand (shield, weapon
            or nothing). But where? In the Equipment tab? That's really just supposed to be like the general store where you buy stuff and not related to calculating any combat-type statistics. Maybe another tab - like Combat (I'd move the existing Combat tab to the Main
            tab where I'll also have the Campaign selections) where you could
            select what's in each hand and PCGen could then give you your
            applicable bonus to hit/damage due to the selections. It would
            display the info in the same layout that I have in my character sheet, so you could see range, crit multiplier, damage, etc.
            How does that sound?

            -Bryan
          • Martin Brabander
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
              John Pyrich wrote:

              > >> 10. Half ranks for cross-class skills can not be purchased.
              >
              > > Is this permissable? I guess it isn't clear, but I only keep
              > > track of ranks. I could make that a float instead of an int, but
              > > I didn't think it was allowed in the rules.
              >
              > Yes it is permissible. You can buy the half rank, but it does not
              > affect any rolls until you get a full rank.

              This is important in character planning. Since the rules say you can't
              store skill points, people can put half a rank in a cross-skill they
              desire now, (with no improvement to the skill) and the next point when
              they go up a level.

              Martin
            • Robert Hilson
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
                i had reccomended a equip screen before, if you did that you could do layouts,
                ie a scren with sword shiels, ring of regen and ring of spell turning, then
                template 2 has just longsword, ring of mind shield, and ring of nondetection
                (examples and dont even know if they exsist) this would take a approiate
                display in the csheet, and may even be optional, its just that with a active
                tool (like our great pcgen) its hard to pencil in the -1 to ac cause the
                fighter dropped his shield, or changed from sword to mace since skeletens take
                more damage that way (2ed sorry just a apparent example) really chack the
                wizards program, the phb had one. on the equip screen with weaponc you could
                equip multiple.

                =====

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
                  --- In pcgen@egroups.com, mocha@m... wrote:

                  > I'm looking in the equipment.lst file, and a Club as WT:3, which
                  > is what you say it should be. Are you looking in an older version?

                  Never mind. This was the first thing that I found and it was before
                  I noticed that the 'P' column header was not appearing in the View
                  Items window. It looked like there was no weight because the column
                  headers were shifted. I should have double checked that one. Sorry.

                  > Hm, I'll give it more thought, but I think you've convinced me.
                  > I don't think this would actually be that hard to do - basically
                  > stripping out the class string from the skill.lst and spell.lst
                  > files. I would still need some way in the class_spell.lst file to
                  > indicate what level each spell is for each class. Maybe you just
                  > have level lists for each class (0-9) and all spells in the list
                  > are assumed to be of the same level.

                  Would it be problematic to allow for multiple records for the same
                  spell level? That way the user is not limited to putting all of the
                  spells for a level in one record. Just a thought.

                  > It would add two more lst
                  > files and make the whole shebang somewhat larger in size, but for
                  > swapping stuff with others it keeps you from having to get a copy
                  > of the class.lst, skill.lst and spell.lst file when all you really
                  > want is a class someone else has added.

                  It works even better if you get classes from two seperate people. In
                  addition, you can have genre specific .lst files for players to start
                  with. If the whole d20 system works there will likely be many genres
                  popping up a-la GURPS.

                  > I'll add this to my list,
                  > though currently I think fixing Bugs and getting the Campaign
                  > stuff to work are my highest present priorities.

                  Makes sense to me. Bugs are my only priority.

                  > Thanks for your insights John! I'm glad you like PCGen and I hope
                  > you keep giving me good ideas!

                  No prob. I have a knack for breaking things. :-)

                  > Just try to keep them to less than 30 at a time... ;)

                  Ok.

                  (Note to self... if there are more than 30 issues, send two emails.)

                  ;-)

                  John
                • John Pyrich
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 8, 2001
                    --- In pcgen@egroups.com, mocha@m... wrote:

                    > --- In pcgen@egroups.com, Robert Hilson <okuth0r@y...> wrote:
                    >> ok i felt i had to assist in the explanation. if you look at the
                    >> wizards program (i wont even name it) you can select multiple
                    >> things to fight as. for example one set of "stats/info" for
                    >> fighting bare handed, one for with a staff, and one for with a
                    >> crossbow. this would represent other possipable combat
                    >> situations easily.

                    Thanks Robert. That's exactly where I was going.

                    > Ok - I see what you're getting at. I think what I need to do is
                    > to provide a way to select what's in each hand (shield, weapon
                    > or nothing). But where? [snip]

                    > Maybe another tab - like Combat (I'd move the existing Combat tab
                    > to the Main tab where I'll also have the Campaign selections) where
                    > you could select what's in each hand and PCGen could then give you
                    > your applicable bonus to hit/damage due to the selections. It would
                    > display the info in the same layout that I have in my character
                    > sheet, so you could see range, crit multiplier, damage, etc.
                    > How does that sound?

                    It might clutter up the Combat tab a lot, but if it works that would
                    be great. However, it still leaves the PC Sheet unresolved. I think
                    that Robert's Equip tab option (explained in a later email) would be
                    better. If that tab is created, I'd like there to be no fixed limit
                    on the number of Equip Sets.

                    John