Re: [pcgen] Survival Special Circumstance Synergy Bonus From Knowledge

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7, 2007
      Hi

      e_m_escobar wrote:
      > Since PRESKILL is set to 1, and you can't actually put a rank into
      > Survival (Lost/Natural Hazards), the Synergy bonus from any of the
      > Knowledge skills for the corresponding Survival skills doesn't show up.

      Interesting, if that is true then it's a dataset bug and should be
      fixed. I take it all the other Survival subskills show up properly?

      Question: Have you actually put ranks in the proper knowledge skill? The
      way they are set up, the sub skill does not show up in the GUI or
      Preview Tab, but when you export the character to PDF it will show up.
      They will have the Survival RANKS in them [Survival (blah) isn't a legal
      skill to buy ranks in, they are all the same skill, only the sub skills
      show the various bonuses from the knowledges.]
      > I modified the PRESKILL tag to 0 and it shows up fine now.
      >
      > Should I do this? Is there something missing? Or should the default
      > package include the bonus survival skills at PRESKILL 0.

      PRESKILL:0 defeats the purpose of even having a PRESKILL. Leave it as is
      with the default 1 and test it out by adding RANKS to Survival and then
      the proper Knowledge Skill, export the character. Check the PDF for the
      right skills to show up.

      Let us know if it works, before a bug report is submitted.
      > I'm using 5.10.1 on Windows XP. Java 2 1.4.2(i think! ;)

      Thanks, we do appreciate the info.

      Andrew

    • e_m_escobar
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7, 2007

        http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php
        > > PCGen's Online Docs:
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Ok. So I made a Ranger with a few ranks of Survival and leveled him
        up to 2 so I could put 5 ranks in each of his class Knowledge skills.

        If you only Rank up Knowledge (Dungeoneering), Knowledge (Nature),
        and Knowledge (Geography) to 5 and look at the Preview Tab, the
        Synergy bonus to Survival (Lost/Natural Hazards), Survival (Natural
        Environments), and Survival (Underground) does not show, although
        each of the circumstances do appear. (Survival (The Planes) and
        Knowledge (The Planes) behaves the same)

        The Synergy bonus will appear in the preview tab if you:
        1. Save and Reopen
        2. Add an additional Rank of Survival AFTER each knowledge skill has
        5 ranks.
        3. Export the character.

        The Synergy Bonus does show up correct on the PDF export. The
        problem is only on the preview tab, and will show correctly after
        any of the above actions are taken.
      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2007
          > Ok. So I made a Ranger with a few ranks of Survival and leveled him
          > up to 2 so I could put 5 ranks in each of his class Knowledge skills.
          >
          > If you only Rank up Knowledge (Dungeoneering), Knowledge (Nature),
          > and Knowledge (Geography) to 5 and look at the Preview Tab, the
          > Synergy bonus to Survival (Lost/Natural Hazards), Survival (Natural
          > Environments), and Survival (Underground) does not show, although
          > each of the circumstances do appear. (Survival (The Planes) and
          > Knowledge (The Planes) behaves the same)
          >
          > The Synergy bonus will appear in the preview tab if you:
          > 1. Save and Reopen
          > 2. Add an additional Rank of Survival AFTER each knowledge skill has
          > 5 ranks.
          > 3. Export the character.
          >
          > The Synergy Bonus does show up correct on the PDF export. The
          > problem is only on the preview tab, and will show correctly after
          > any of the above actions are taken.

          Yeah. These are a work-in-progress.. I did all of the synergies
          after the initial couple of Survivals, which I thought I re-coded so
          that they were all behaving the same. One of the draw-backs currently
          is that you have to have a Rank in the skill getting the bonus for it
          to show up if you have the Synergy bonus. So, no ranks in Survival,
          and you won't see the synergy bonus (even though you should still get
          it).

          I need to get on-line with Zaister who promised to work with me on
          drawing up a good spec for how to handle those more elegantly. Right
          now, they are just hacks.

          PCGen LST Chimp