[bug} Custom Feats and such

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 6, 2007
      I have not gone through the posts to see if this has been answered yet.
      I'll just ask it now/describe it now.

      I inputed a Feat for Draconic Heritage from the Races of the Dragon by
      WotC. I look back at the character that accuired it and info was
      missing, info became its own feat, and the feat I added no longer
      showed up as a custom feat. It showed up as an original feat.

      I hope this is how I needed to enter the info. If there is anything
      else needed please feel free to contact me.
      ragnow@...
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 6, 2007
        > I inputed a Feat for <some feat type> from <some source> by <some
        > company>. I look back at the character that accuired it and info was
        > missing, info became its own feat, and the feat I added no longer
        > showed up as a custom feat. It showed up as an original feat.
        >
        > I hope this is how I needed to enter the info. If there is anything
        > else needed please feel free to contact me.

        First, please refrain from explicitly naming closed-content information.

        Now, how did you create this feat (through the Lst Editors or by hand
        in a text file)? What version of java are you using? What version of
        PCGen are you using? What operating system do you have? Which datasets
        do you have loaded?

        Paul W. King
        PR SB, BoD
      • Timothy Ragnow
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
          Paul,
          Thankyou for responding. I don't know what is open or closed as far as content.

          I created it through the list editor in the program. I believe its the latest version of Java. I'm using PCGEN 5.10.1 on an XP home OS. I loaded only RSRD and PCGEN open liscense data sets.
          After leaving the post I went back into the character file and it told me it could no longer load the Feat I inputed and erased all info from the database.

          Just to let you know, this is all new to me as I have just heard about PCGEN and am just learning all about it. I used to only fun Revised 2.0 and used the .... name of software escapes me .... to make my maps, encounters, and characters. I started running 3.5e in May of 2006 and have acquired an extensive array of books. I just miss the ease in which I put together scenarios for my group.

          Is there a file that will tell me how I need to input the Advanced tab info when inputing a feat and such?

          Timothy A. Ragnow

          > I inputed a Feat for <some feat type> from <some source> by <some
          > company>. I look back at the character that accuired it and info was
          > missing, info became its own feat, and the feat I added no longer
          > showed up as a custom feat. It showed up as an original feat.
          >
          > I hope this is how I needed to enter the info. If there is anything
          > else needed please feel free to contact me.

          First, please refrain from explicitly naming closed-content information.

          Now, how did you create this feat (through the Lst Editors or by hand
          in a text file)? What version of java are you using? What version of
          PCGen are you using? What operating system do you have? Which datasets
          do you have loaded?

          Paul W. King
          PR SB, BoD

        • Tir Gwaith
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
            > Is there a file that will tell me how I need to input the Advanced tab info when inputing a feat and such?

            A) use the LST editors with caution. For simple stuff, they are
            great. For more complex stuff, they tend to crash.
            B) in /%pcgen's directory%/docs/ you'll find index.html. follow to
            the List files. Lots of good reading there, and Fitz keeps improving
            those every release. :)

            PCGen LST Chimp
          • Timothy Ragnow
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
              Is there a shareware editor I can use that will work with PCGEN? Of course I'll have to be instructed in how to import to PCGEN also.

              Timothy A. Ragnow

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Timothy Ragnow <ragnow@...> wrote:

                > Is there a shareware editor I can use that will work with PCGEN? Of
                course I'll have to be instructed in how to import to PCGEN also.

                > Timothy A. Ragnow

                Follow the thread starting with this message. Everyone has their
                faves, it just depends on what you are used to.
              • Terry FitzSimons
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 7, 2007
                  Go to the directory that you installed PcGen in and open the docs
                  directory. Double click on the "index.html" to open it. Click on the
                  "Frequently Asked Questions " to open it. Click on the "I Want to Help to
                  Make Datasets and use Prettylst" to open it.

                  Terry

                  --

                  Terry FitzSimons
                  FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

                  Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon
                • Timothy Ragnow
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 8, 2007
                    I Want to Help to
                    Make and use Prettylst" to open it.

                    This part doesn't show up on my listing.

                    Timothy A. Ragnow

                    --

                    Terry FitzSimons
                    FITZSIMONS@MINTEL. NET(Small Letters Only)

                    Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon

                  • Timothy Ragnow
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 8, 2007
                      Following this thread lead me no where.

                      Timothy A. Ragnow

                      http://games. groups.yahoo. com/group/ pcgen/message/ 92846

                      Follow the thread starting with this message. Everyone has their
                      faves, it just depends on what you are used to.

                    • David R. Bender
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 8, 2007
                        I use Crimson Editor at http://www.crimsoneditor.com/

                        There are syntax files for it in the files section of one of the pcgen
                        yahoo groups.

                        -- david

                        Timothy Ragnow wrote:
                        > Following this thread lead me no where.
                        >

                        > Timothy A. Ragnow

                      • Frank Kliewe
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 8, 2007
                          On 2/8/07, Timothy Ragnow <ragnow@...> wrote:

                          > I Want to Help to
                          > Make and use Prettylst" to open it.
                          >
                          > This part doesn't show up on my listing.
                          >
                          > Timothy A. Ragnow

                          I think it was added in the 5.11/5.12 production cycle. My guess is
                          you are using the stable 5.10.1 then. You can find a link to PCGen's
                          Online Docs at the bottom of each post on this list.

                          Just in case that link shouldn't appear for you, because you switched
                          that function off in your Yahoo settings, here it is:

                          You will find the "I want to help..." under Frequently Asked Questions.

                          Cheerio,

                          Frank Kliewe
                          PCGen Content Silverback

                          --
                          Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that
                          if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain.
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 8, 2007
                            Here are some other options if you want something that is cross platform:

                            http://cream.sourceforge.net/

                            http://www.vim.org/

                            http://www.jedit.org/

                            all of these have syntax files and work well with formatted text. I
                            personally use gvim.

                            Dave

                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "David R. Bender" <Papa-DRB@...> wrote:

                            > I use Crimson Editor at http://www.crimsoneditor.com/
                            >
                            > There are syntax files for it in the files section of one of the pcgen
                            > yahoo groups.
                            >
                            > -- david
                            >
                            > Timothy Ragnow wrote:
                            > > Following this thread lead me no where.