[FReq] Different icon for 'Create new NPC' button

  • Tir Gwaith
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 26, 2007
      Subject basically says it all.

      Seeing two exact same icons right next to each other gets irritating,
      and if I happen to click the wrong one by mistake, it gets
      frustrating.

      PCGen LST Chimp
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 29, 2007
        Suggestions as to what to change it to? Maybe a slightly different shade of
        the same thing?

        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      • Steven Gilroy
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 29, 2007
          Why not add the letters NPC on the icon somehow?

          Steven Gilroy
          http://www.ourcrazyjunk.com

          Eddy Anthony wrote:

          > Suggestions as to what to change it to? Maybe a slightly different
          > shade of
          > the same thing?
          >
          > On 1/26/07 4:58 PM, "Tir Gwaith" <Tir.Gwaith@...
          > <mailto:Tir.Gwaith%40gmail.com>> wrote:
          >
          > > Subject basically says it all.
          > >
          > > Seeing two exact same icons right next to each other gets irritating,
          > > and if I happen to click the wrong one by mistake, it gets
          > > frustrating.
          >
          > --
          > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          > ~ PCGen BoD, Data Content Second, Doc Chimp

        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 29, 2007
            We're limited by the fact that these icons are about 16x16 pixels in size so
            actually spelling out the letters NPC might be difficult. In any case it
            should be something pictographic, if we want to use text we should just a
            regular button.

            I was thinking of a couple of 6 sided dice, though that might also be
            difficult the get readable at that size.

            Steven Gilroy scribed:

            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          • Frank Kliewe
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 29, 2007
              On 1/29/07, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

              > We're limited by the fact that these icons are about 16x16 pixels in size so
              > actually spelling out the letters NPC might be difficult. In any case it
              > should be something pictographic, if we want to use text we should just a
              > regular button.
              >
              > I was thinking of a couple of 6 sided dice, though that might also be
              > difficult the get readable at that size.

              That doesn't sound bad. Some easier options if it shouldn't work out:

              - a wand
              - use the existing icon but color it red and replace the star with an N
              - a sheet of paper (like the existing icon) with lines
              - a face

              Cheerio,

              Frank Kliewe
              PCGen Content Silverback

              --
              Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that
              if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain.
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 29, 2007
                Frank Kliewe scribed:

                >> I was thinking of a couple of 6 sided dice, though that might also be
                >> difficult the get readable at that size.
                >>

                > That doesn't sound bad. Some easier options if it shouldn't work out:
                >
                > - a wand
                > - use the existing icon but color it red and replace the star with an N
                > - a sheet of paper (like the existing icon) with lines
                > - a face

                I did some doodling, any of these look appealing?

                http://home.comcast.net/~eddyanthony/toolbar.png
                --
                ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              • Ludovic Fierville
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 29, 2007
                  the first from the right seems the clearer, imho

                  2007/1/30, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...>:

                  > Frank Kliewe scribed:
                  >
                  > >> I was thinking of a couple of 6 sided dice, though that might also be
                  > >> difficult the get readable at that size.
                  > >>

                  > > That doesn't sound bad. Some easier options if it shouldn't work out:
                  > >
                  > > - a wand
                  > > - use the existing icon but color it red and replace the star with an N
                  > > - a sheet of paper (like the existing icon) with lines
                  > > - a face
                  >
                  > I did some doodling, any of these look appealing?
                  >
                  > http://home.comcast.net/~eddyanthony/toolbar.png
                  > --
                  > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                  > ~ PCGen BoD, Data Content Second, Doc Chimp

                  ~ Tengoku de omachisi te imasu ~

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 30, 2007
                    On 1/29/07, Frank Kliewe <fkliewe@...> wrote:

                    > That doesn't sound bad. Some easier options if it shouldn't work out:
                    >
                    > - a wand
                    > - use the existing icon but color it red and replace the star with an N
                    > - a sheet of paper (like the existing icon) with lines
                    > - a face
                    >
                    > Cheerio,

                    How about a stickfigure with a red shirt?
                    Or a set of concentric circles?

                    :)

                  • boomer70
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 30, 2007
                      --- Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

                      > Frank Kliewe scribed:
                      >
                      > >> I was thinking of a couple of 6 sided dice,
                      > though that might also be
                      > >> difficult the get readable at that size.
                      > >>

                      > > That doesn't sound bad. Some easier options if it
                      > shouldn't work out:
                      > >
                      > > - a wand
                      > > - use the existing icon but color it red and
                      > replace the star with an N
                      > > - a sheet of paper (like the existing icon) with
                      > lines
                      > > - a face
                      >
                      > I did some doodling, any of these look appealing?
                      >
                      > http://home.comcast.net/~eddyanthony/toolbar.png

                      The last one seems to fit best with the current icons.
                      Of course there has been calls that PCGen looks too
                      much like a spreadsheet so maybe we should look at
                      changing all the toolbar icons (in which case I kinda
                      like the 3rd from the left).

                      -Aaron

                      ----------------
                      Aaron Divinsky

                      Bored stiff? Loosen up...
                      http://games.yahoo.com/games/front
                    • Frank Kliewe
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 30, 2007
                        On 1/30/07, boomer70 <boomer70@...> wrote:

                        > --- Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Frank Kliewe scribed:

                        > > though that might also be
                        > > >>

                        > > > That doesn't sound bad. Some easier options if it
                        > > shouldn't work out:
                        > > >
                        > > > - a wand
                        > > > - use the existing icon but color it red and
                        > > replace the star with an N
                        > > > - a sheet of paper (like the existing icon) with
                        > > lines
                        > > > - a face
                        > >
                        > > I did some doodling, any of these look appealing?
                        > >
                        > > http://home.comcast.net/~eddyanthony/toolbar.png
                        >
                        > The last one seems to fit best with the current icons.
                        > Of course there has been calls that PCGen looks too
                        > much like a spreadsheet so maybe we should look at
                        > changing all the toolbar icons (in which case I kinda
                        > like the 3rd from the left).
                        >
                        > -Aaron

                        Good point. If we used more genre-related, more colorful and perhaps
                        slightly larger icons, that might help a tiny little bit to break away
                        from that spreadsheet image.

                        Cheerio,

                        Frank Kliewe
                        PCGen Content Silverback

                        --
                        Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that
                        if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain.
                        (George McFly in "Back To The Future", 1985)
                      • Brass Tilde
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 30, 2007
                          > > I did some doodling, any of these look appealing?
                          > >
                          > > http://home.comcast.net/~eddyanthony/toolbar.png

                          I kinda like the helmet one.
                        • Tom Parker
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 30, 2007
                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Kliewe" <fkliewe@...> wrote:
                            > > The last one seems to fit best with the current icons.
                            > > Of course there has been calls that PCGen looks too
                            > > much like a spreadsheet so maybe we should look at
                            > > changing all the toolbar icons (in which case I kinda
                            > > like the 3rd from the left).

                            Well, but if I see a Helmet, I might expect an Equipment Editor to
                            come up?

                            I think one of the two on the right (doc with the N in the lower
                            right) is appropriate...

                            > Good point. If we used more genre-related, more colorful and perhaps
                            > slightly larger icons, that might help a tiny little bit to break away
                            > from that spreadsheet image.

                            Are you implying the icons should change based on the GameMode? The
                            Helmet (for example) really isn't appropriate for MSRD... or am I
                            misinterpreting what you mean by "genre-related"?
                          • Eddy Anthony
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 30, 2007
                              On 1/30/07 12:56 PM, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:

                              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Kliewe" <fkliewe@...> wrote:
                              >>> The last one seems to fit best with the current icons.
                              >>> Of course there has been calls that PCGen looks too
                              >>> much like a spreadsheet so maybe we should look at
                              >>> changing all the toolbar icons (in which case I kinda
                              >>> like the 3rd from the left).
                              >
                              > Well, but if I see a Helmet, I might expect an Equipment Editor to
                              > come up?
                              >
                              > I think one of the two on the right (doc with the N in the lower
                              > right) is appropriate...

                              I tend to agree, dull but appropriate.

                              >> Good point. If we used more genre-related, more colorful and perhaps
                              >> slightly larger icons, that might help a tiny little bit to break away
                              >> from that spreadsheet image.
                              >
                              > Are you implying the icons should change based on the GameMode? The
                              > Helmet (for example) really isn't appropriate for MSRD... or am I
                              > misinterpreting what you mean by "genre-related"?

                              I think he means RPG genre as opposed to business software.

                              PCGen could use an image make-over at some point, perhaps once we reach 6.0.
                              --
                              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                            • Frank Kliewe
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 30, 2007
                                On 1/30/07, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

                                > On 1/30/07 12:56 PM, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:
                                >

                                > >> Good point. If we used more genre-related, more colorful and perhaps
                                > >> slightly larger icons, that might help a tiny little bit to break away
                                > >> from that spreadsheet image.
                                > >
                                > > Are you implying the icons should change based on the GameMode? The
                                > > Helmet (for example) really isn't appropriate for MSRD... or am I
                                > > misinterpreting what you mean by "genre-related"?
                                >
                                > I think he means RPG genre as opposed to business software.
                                >
                                > PCGen could use an image make-over at some point, perhaps once we reach 6.0.
                                > --
                                > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                                > ~ PCGen BoD, Data Content Second, Doc Chimp

                                Eddy's right. Also the majority of our users is using the Fantasy
                                sets, so we should think along these lines: Game related and Fantasy.
                                And I think using different icons for other gamemodes would be
                                confusing.

                                Cheerio,

                                Frank Kliewe
                                PCGen Content Silverback

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 30, 2007
                                  boomer70 scribed:

                                  >> http://home.comcast.net/~eddyanthony/toolbar.png
                                  >
                                  > The last one seems to fit best with the current icons.
                                  > Of course there has been calls that PCGen looks too
                                  > much like a spreadsheet so maybe we should look at
                                  > changing all the toolbar icons (in which case I kinda
                                  > like the 3rd from the left).

                                  Trackered:
                                  [ 1648296 ] Different icon for 'Create new NPC' button
                                  <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1648296&group_id=2
                                  5576&atid=384722>

                                  I checked in the last one with the N in the corner, it's consistent and
                                  solves the immediate problem.

                                  I do think it would be fun to rework the graphics but that would probably be
                                  best done to coincide for a major release like 6.0.
                                  --
                                  ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)