Re: pcgen in batch mode

  • Krait Philippe
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2007
      > Posted by: "Susan Dittmar" Susan.Dittmar@... susandittmar
      > Date: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:25 am ((PST))
      >
      > would it be possible to use pcgen in batch mode for very simple jobs?

      It already works, at least partially.

      > Like "read given character file and the required sources, export to
      > pdf/html using the default templates, and save the result using the
      > basename of the character file" ?

      It is possible to use it to generate html, but not pdf. This is a long standing request of mine, but it has not seen the light of day yet.

      > I would *love* to just start a batch job to create all the
      > pdfs I need.
      > Doing it interactively means that computer and user keep
      > waiting for the other...

      Yes...

      > PS: I'm using PCGen on a linux box and thus I'm quite used to creating
      > batch jobs, but I think the job is easy enough it could be used as
      > easily with windows.

      My main PC is running windows (what can I say, I alos like gaming on computers... :) ), and it works well enough with a script written in php. I have tens of characters in my campaign, and the export is indeed quite long, especially because the PCGen sheets get updated automatically by some of the campaign stuff (status in the adventurers guild, amount of money, reputation, etc.). And because the html sheets are available online and can be automatically included in the character'w wiki page, it is nice to have automatic generation.

      It is actually described in the documentation, in the FAQ, section Output/Printing issue:

      > Does PCGen support any command line exporting functionality?

      > For this to work you must have the 'Load Campaign Data with character' box checked and type the following all on one line.

      > java -Dpcgen.templatefile=C:\Pcgen\outputsheets\d20\fantasy\htmlxml\csheet_fantasy_std.htm -Dpcgen.inputfile=C:\Pcgen\characters\aaa.pcg -Dpcgen.outputfile=C:\Pcgen\characters\aaa.htm -jar pcgen.jar

      I just wish that the pdf would work as well...

      Philippe